1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

V bust Pvt. G A Mitchell

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by JamesDols0653, Jan 29, 2019.

1. JamesDols0653 Member

Scotland
    V bust Pvt. G A Mitchell

victoria cross holder
    G A Mitchell
    London Scottish
    Gordon Highlanders
    Sculpted by Pavol Ovecka
    just started out looking for some crticism

gh17.JPG _MG_4373.JPG gh12.JPG gh14.JPG
    DEL, Gellso, Grod and 4 others like this.
  2. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks good - maybe try to matt it down a bit as it seems glossy. Also, the buttons on the battledress were brown Bakelite (an early plastic), not brass....(y)
    Jed and Scotty like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England

Agree with valiant's comment ,are you using Oils or Acrylics ?

BIG WELCOME to PF as well

Nap
  4. JamesDols0653 Member

Scotland
    Wasn't sure if the buttons were brass or not thanks for the heads up kind of noticed when taking the pictures I used gloss instead of matt varnish oops. Using acrylics vallejo and army painter paints tried to get the jacket look a bit worn.
    Thanks for the comments much appreciated.
    Jed and valiant like this.
  5. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Awright Dols,

Youve been a bit modest with this.
    This is Dols's 4th bust, he's only being painting figures for a few months now with no other model painting experience.

Get some dullcoat matt varnish on him and that will tone down the gloss.
    The battledress looks a little dark but you've got some good contrasts in there.
    The webbing strap looks bang on, you've managed to achieve depth and wear.

Some toning down of the flesh tones by using subtle washes will bring it together.
    The 5 oclock shadow looks really well toned. Not too George Michael which a lot of people make the mistake of doing.

Are you going to put up your Falklands guy.....if you can find him ;)

Hope you post more of your work
    Jed and Nap like this.
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looks excellent Dols.
    As the others have said, shame about the shine.
    If you're using oils, try putting them on an absorbent surface for a few hours before you use them.
    It helps reduce the sheen.
    Look forwards to seeing more of your work.(y)
    Jed likes this.
  7. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi Dols (first time I've ever called a bloke that :eek:) Grant has pretty much covered all the bases. What I would say though is for new pieces skip varnish altogether. Only use say Testors Dullcote on individual elements you want matted down rather than over the whole piece. Same applies to adding a sheen, what I do is carefully rub the area say a rifle stock with my fingertips, do this a few times and you shoud get a convincing in-scale finish.
    As for the flesh tones, not at all bad, in fact remarkably good for a 4th figure. Grant's right about toning down the transition areas of the flesh but don't reject some well blended in dramatic shading.
    Cheers
    Derek
    Jed likes this.
  8. JamesDols0653 Member

Scotland
    Thanks g I must've done the camouflage good on the Falklands guy I've not seen him since.
    Gellso and housecarl like this.
  9. JamesDols0653 Member

Scotland
    Thanks for the reply I'll give the dullcote a go. I went over it with a matt varnish still looks shiny though.
  10. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Many so called matt varnishes give satin finish, the trick with Dullcote is be sparing, brush it on in one stroke, let it settle and dont brush over it. Other than that only use varnish as a finish on individual items......
  11. Helm A Fixture

England
    Only thing I can add is maybe on the next one try oils on the face. If you haven't on this one, that'll help with transitions as you can work them on the face, as you go, due to the longer drying time.