1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed USMC Pacific- Life Miniatures Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by BigDaddy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. BigDaddy A Fixture

United-States
    Well, I was working on several projects at once, and I snuck this one through past the bishop..... He hardly blinked an upturned eye. (Bishop of Strasbourg bust)

This is Life Miniatures USMC bust. It was a fun one to do..... specially the HBT uniform. This one has more Jo Sonja's then Vallejo. I liked how it came out. I hope you do too.

-Matt

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Matt - very realistic.

Having never used Jo Sonjas, I don't know what their properties are. Can you tell me if this bust would have looked similar had you used Vallejos? From the figures I have seen painted in JS paints, they look more opaque and less prone to being washed onto the figure. Perhaps a little like guache - true?

Awesome helmet BTW.

Colin
  3. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    I like the realism on this too Matt.
    Using Jo Sonja's is fun too eh!

I use a wide range & like to also use thickened JS for texturing as an alternative to oils.

What were your colour mixes for flesh?

Mike
  4. BigDaddy A Fixture

United-States
    Well, they are less opaque then Vallejos. But, they mix easier and are flatter. I tend to use a lot of "glazes" of the colors, so I build layers gradually. I have found if you mix them with Vallejos, you kind of thae coverage plus nice blending. Matt
  5. BigDaddy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Mike

Basic flesh is Burnt Sienna and Naples Yellow Hue. I added a bit of Vallejo Cork Brown. Then I use Brown Madder, Napthol Crimson, Black for shadows and color in the cheeks. More Naples Yellow for highlights. I may of used some Violet here and there too.
    Mike - The Kiwi, Wings5797 and crf like this.
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Good to know - thanks Matt.

Colin
  7. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
  8. Captain Lol A Fixture

Belgium
    Great paint Sir .
    Cheers
  9. YongA01 Active Member

Malaysia
    Really nice work

Hi Colin - goto Calvin Tan blog and he has lots of sbs using Jo Sonja with retarder.... Wet on wet method.
    crf likes this.
  10. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Matt, I like your blending of the fleshtones, thanks for sharing your mix. The uniform, and particularly the helmet, look very realistic. Excellent painting. Regards, SG:)(y)(y)
  11. IronMike A Fixture

Well done Matt. I think you nailed it.
  12. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    That's some top notch work ;)!

Joe
  13. BigDaddy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks everyone..... I was a little intimidated by the HBT pattern in the uniform. Mike, you know this is the third Marine I have done in a year!

Matt
  14. Alex Long A Fixture

England
    You've done a top class job on this bust, he looks the business. Impressive stuff.

Alex.
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent painting Matt
  16. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    The texture on the helmet is right on. Love the shirt. Very convincing. Life miniatures figures are great. A friend showed me some the other night.
  17. BigDaddy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for all the compliments!
    Matt