Completed USMC Pacific- Life Miniatures Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by BigDaddy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. BigDaddy A Fixture

United-States
    Well, I was working on several projects at once, and I snuck this one through past the bishop..... He hardly blinked an upturned eye. (Bishop of Strasbourg bust)

This is Life Miniatures USMC bust. It was a fun one to do..... specially the HBT uniform. This one has more Jo Sonja's then Vallejo. I liked how it came out. I hope you do too.

-Matt

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Matt - very realistic.

Having never used Jo Sonjas, I don't know what their properties are. Can you tell me if this bust would have looked similar had you used Vallejos? From the figures I have seen painted in JS paints, they look more opaque and less prone to being washed onto the figure. Perhaps a little like guache - true?

Awesome helmet BTW.

Colin
  3. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    I like the realism on this too Matt.
    Using Jo Sonja's is fun too eh!

I use a wide range & like to also use thickened JS for texturing as an alternative to oils.

What were your colour mixes for flesh?

Mike
  4. BigDaddy A Fixture

United-States
    Well, they are less opaque then Vallejos. But, they mix easier and are flatter. I tend to use a lot of "glazes" of the colors, so I build layers gradually. I have found if you mix them with Vallejos, you kind of thae coverage plus nice blending. Matt
  5. BigDaddy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Mike

Basic flesh is Burnt Sienna and Naples Yellow Hue. I added a bit of Vallejo Cork Brown. Then I use Brown Madder, Napthol Crimson, Black for shadows and color in the cheeks. More Naples Yellow for highlights. I may of used some Violet here and there too.
    Mike - The Kiwi, Wings5797 and crf like this.
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Good to know - thanks Matt.

Colin
  7. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
  8. Captain Lol A Fixture

Belgium
    Great paint Sir .
    Cheers
  9. YongA01 Active Member

Malaysia
    Really nice work

Hi Colin - goto Calvin Tan blog and he has lots of sbs using Jo Sonja with retarder.... Wet on wet method.
    crf likes this.
  10. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Matt, I like your blending of the fleshtones, thanks for sharing your mix. The uniform, and particularly the helmet, look very realistic. Excellent painting. Regards, SG:)(y)(y)
  11. IronMike Well-Known Member

Well done Matt. I think you nailed it.
  12. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    That's some top notch work ;)!

Joe
  13. BigDaddy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks everyone..... I was a little intimidated by the HBT pattern in the uniform. Mike, you know this is the third Marine I have done in a year!

Matt
  14. Alex Long A Fixture

England
    You've done a top class job on this bust, he looks the business. Impressive stuff.

Alex.
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent painting Matt
  16. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    The texture on the helmet is right on. Love the shirt. Very convincing. Life miniatures figures are great. A friend showed me some the other night.
  17. BigDaddy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for all the compliments!
    Matt