1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Using grays for metallic effects

Discussion in 'Oils' started by yellowcat, Jun 29, 2019.

1. yellowcat Well-Known Member

Canada
    It is interesting to see just using different grays to achieve metallic effects.

Nap, Martin64, John Bowery and 2 others like this.
  2. Alex Well-Known Member

Canada
    Excellent video. I have stopped using metallics since the beginning of the project I am working on right now, 10 months ago.
    And I do not plan to use them anymore in the future ...
    yellowcat likes this.
  3. yellowcat Well-Known Member

Canada
  4. Alex Well-Known Member

Canada
    Great articles, the second one in particular (which I remember having read a few years ago). The sharp transition between the dark shadows and the highest reflection is key in selling the illusion like in the Rembrandt painting.
    It is the same approach we should use when trying to depict other materials like silk, wool, cotton, etc.. Observe and paint what you see. That's what my art teachers have been repeating me from as long as I can remember !
    yellowcat likes this.