1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

US tank crew Vietnam War

Discussion in 'Digis - Digital Miniatures 3D Modeling' started by vince wai, Nov 2, 2023.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Vince

Good updates on this really coming together well , the cupola and weapons impressive even on its own ...but adding the figure will really push it high

Thanks for the updates

Looking forward to seeing more

Have FUN @ the bench

Nap
  2. vince wai Active Member

Thanks Nap, had been pretty swamped lately so the progress is bit slow.

vince
  3. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    Amazing work with exact details!
    If memory serves, Marines used differs versions of the "flak jacket" protective vest versus Army. The usual visual give away was Army style had a short stand up collar.
    Eager to see your finished project. Much admiration...
    Ned
    Babelfish likes this.
  4. vince wai Active Member

Hi Ned, thanks for the encouraging comments. The tank crew is supposed to be a Marine and I think the trousers need to be change to OG 107 utility trousers. The boots will be black combat boots.

vince
  5. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    Boots not jungle boots? Jungle boots 1971.jpg
  6. vince wai Active Member

KenBoyle likes this.
  7. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    Many aviators wore all leather boots due to the risk of fire. The Nylon part of jungle boots could melt into the skin of the feet causing grievous wounds. Some used the idea that boot polish would melt, also, to let their leather go unmaintained.At some point in time, that was determined to be nonsense.

For the same reason (melting danger), many guys I knew would not wear a wrist watch with a Nylon strap, or wore it on the outside of the cuff of the Nomex flight suit.

As for tankers, my guess is that they wore what was issued, and that would depend upon the service (Army vs USMC) and the dates they were in-country. The earlier units came with what they had in the States, including cotton sateen uniforms, bright name strip and patches and leather boots. By the time I was in country (1970 -1971), the ground forces had jungle boots.

All the above is a trip down memory lane. Your creation is excellent and also amazing to my eye. Congratulations to you!
    N
    Babelfish, vince wai and Nap like this.
  8. vince wai Active Member

Hi Ned,

Thanks for the info, it's always good to hear detail information from someone who served in that period and your advices had helped a lot ( such as the toggle tab below the comms box ). Will change the boots to jungle boots in the coming updates.
    Wish you and yours have a happy 2024.

Vince
  9. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    Vince -
    Thank you for the kind words. Enjoy 2024!
    NR
    vince wai likes this.
  10. vince wai Active Member

Attached are some images with the OG 107 utility trousers added.
    Wish everyone in this forum have a happy 2024.

OD-1071.jpg OD-1072.jpg OD-1073.jpg OD-1074.jpg OD-1075.jpg OD-1076.jpg
    KenBoyle, Babelfish, Scotty and 4 others like this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Vince

Nice update , those trousers are looking good , interesting thread to follow

Thanks for the time

Have fun @ 3D

Nap
    vince wai likes this.
  12. vince wai Active Member

Attached are the images of the WIP jungle boot.
    vince

Jungle boot 1.jpg Jungle boot 2.jpg Jungle boot 3.jpg Jungle boot 4.jpg Jungle boot 5.jpg Jungle boot 6.jpg Jungle boot 7.jpg Jungle boot 8.jpg Jungle boot 9.jpg Jungle boot 10.jpg Jungle boot 11.jpg Jungle boot 12.jpg
  13. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    Outstanding representation!
    vince wai likes this.
  14. vince wai Active Member

I have actually made both versions but the leather boot will be saved for some future projects ( may be a door gunner ) :)

leather boot 1.jpg leather boot 5.jpg leather boot 3.jpg leather boot 2.jpg
    Nap, KenBoyle, BrownMoose and 3 others like this.
  15. vince wai Active Member

Some new images of the head
    Screen Shot 2024-01-22 at 7.37.07 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2024-01-22 at 7.37.31 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2024-01-22 at 7.38.39 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2024-01-22 at 7.39.22 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2024-01-22 at 7.39.57 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2024-01-22 at 7.51.23 AM.jpg
  16. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    Amazing work!
    vince wai likes this.
  17. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    He reminds me a little of the actor Andy Robinson.
    "Just me and a busload of kids, going for a ride..."

Prost!
    Brad
    vince wai likes this.
  18. vince wai Active Member

Some progress images with the arms added

arm render14.jpg arm render13.jpg arm render12.jpg arm render11.jpg arm render10.jpg arm render9.jpg arm render8.jpg arm render7.jpg arm render6.jpg arm render5.jpg arm render4.jpg arm render3.jpg arm render2.jpg arm render1.jpg
    MattMcK., Nap, KenBoyle and 3 others like this.
  19. vince wai Active Member

Boots added1.jpg Boots added2.jpg Boots added3.jpg With boots added, will work on the Goggles next....
  20. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Vince

Awesome updates , the boots are great , nice muscle work on the arms

This is really taking shape now

Pleasure to follow

Looking forward to seeing more

Happy 3D

Nap
    vince wai likes this.