1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

US Supplier of Bases & Brushes

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by F Troop, Oct 14, 2023.

1. F Troop Active Member

United-States
    I was very disappointed at the last miniature show I attended. There wasn't a single wooden base vendor and very few bases even with the other vendors. I image most of the US painters know about the restrictions on Kolinsky brushes.

So, my questions are: Is there still a US vendor for quality wooden bases? And has anyone found a decent synthetic hair brush that measures up to the now forbodden sable brushes? My favorite was the Nevskaya Palitra 1113 "0" Held lots of paint and kept its point.

TIA
  2. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Hey Rick. I can recommend birchtreejohn as a US maker of quality wood bases. He'll make to your spec. You can reach John @ birchtreejohn@aol.com. For ready-made bases www.sabotminiatures.com carries the line of Andrea bases.
    Rick
    theBaron likes this.
  3. socko47 Active Member

United-States
    I am under the impression that that ban is old and Kolinsky brushes are still being sold in the US. Manufacturers have extra documentation requirements. See if you can find articles newer than 2014 when the ban went into effect to confirm it is ok.
  4. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    A guy from Woodbridge seeking for wood !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)
    The same in Belgium, few bases at convention
    Everything you want from carpenters next door, but to set the machine on, at least 100 pieces, but asking them cost nothing
  5. F Troop Active Member

United-States
    I will check in it that. Thanks
  6. F Troop Active Member

United-States
    I guess I stepped in to that one :woot:
  7. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Yeah, I second Dr. Joe about the brushes. As far as a vendor goes, I recommend Dave Youngquist of Last Cavalry (www.lastcavalry.com) as a starting point. I buy brushes from him when I see him at the shows, but you can order from his online store, of course. I expect he'll be at the upcoming MMSI show, too.

Prost!
    Brad
  8. F Troop Active Member

United-States
    I did send John an email a couple of days age but have not heard back yet.

Thanks for the lead
  9. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    Concur with both recommendations of birch tree john and Dave at Last
    Cavalry. Excellent service from both over years of interaction.
    Ned
  10. socko47 Active Member

United-States
    At the MMSI show Jim Rice did a two day painting program. There was vendor support with items for sale in the room and I believe Jim is connected as the web site offers his painting classes, Sabot Miniatures. The representative at the table for Sabot was promoting Zem's over W&N's from Sabot or you can buy direct from Zem. Also, in talking with some of the attendees at the show, 8404's by Raphael were recommended over W&N's to me. This person would only buy in person so he could wet the brush and evaluate the point. And somewhere, on-line, I saw someone was having difficulty getting his favorite Kolinsky's from a Russian company. Also, the vendor Michigan Toy Solder was selling brushes from Rosemary & Co. You can buy direct or from Michigan. Just a few leads for you. Also, to para phrase Mike Blank at his lecture on posing your figure, the materials or equipment do not make you a better artist, just maybe make it easier to achieve your goal.
    Nap likes this.
  11. F Troop Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Socko47