1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique US Paratrooper D-Day, Mitches Military Models 120mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Mar 24, 2013.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

After a week away in Hong Kong, I got back home on Friday night and got started on this magnificent figure sculpted by Maurice Corry.

I found a few casting bubbles and a couple of gaps that needed filling, but overall the casting was crisp and clean. The left hand and the .30 cal MG are just blue taked on at this stage and will be painted separately.
    The figure is now primed and ready for painting. IMG_0549.JPG IMG_0554.JPG IMG_0553.JPG IMG_0552.JPG IMG_0551.JPG IMG_0550.JPG
    Don, NickM, Trep and 2 others like this.
  2. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Tony, will watch with interest as I have one of these inbound.
    Les
  3. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I just got this one in last week, looking forward to seeing you paint this Brother. It is a fine sculpted figure and I'm looking for a few more A/B guys for a vignette. Ruck on Tony, bookmarked!

Cheers, Ski.
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for your comments Les & Ski. I'm not going to rush with painting this figure, as I understand there is a companion figure in the pipeline, and I want see how they will go together before I look at posing them on a base. I'm also going to experiment trying to airbrush Josonja acrylics for the light khaki base colour for the uniform.
  5. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Sweet, I like the idea of a companion figure, gonna need that one too. Keep er rollin Tony.

Cheers, Ski.
  6. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Nice looking figure, Tony. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it, mate.
    You got a copy of the Band of Brothers series for some ideas and inspiration? Happy to lend you mine at the next club meet if not.
    Cheers
  7. HIKARU_REMOVED Guest

Japan
    Great figure, Tony.:woot:
    I have a memory painted a 200mm figure.
    I think it was the same machine gun.

Cheers;)
    Mitsutaka:)
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Nick, mate I would love to borrow your Band Of Brothers series if you're willing, thank you.

Mitsutaka, yes I recall the 200mm figure. I like the 120mm version better as I feel the posture and pose is more natural. Thank you for your comments my firend.
  9. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tony,
    Looking forward to seeing this one with some paint on it. Don't you own a copy:eek: of Band of Brother's! shame on you.:)
    cheers
    Richie
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Richie, I'm ashamed to admit I don't have the box set DVD's of BoB. I've seen the series three times but never owned it on DVD.:(
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

Easter has been a rather productive time for me. I've made sone progress on this figure. Still some work to do on the .30 cal MG and some general weathering on the uniform. The rank and unit badges are decals from Verlinden which I've had for almost 15 years. Never used them before but sure as hell beats trying to hand paint them. IMG_0576.JPG IMG_0577.JPG IMG_0578.JPG IMG_0579.JPG IMG_0580.JPG IMG_0581.JPG IMG_0582.JPG IMG_0582.JPG IMG_0583.JPG IMG_0584.JPG
    pmfs, Ventress, HIKARU and 1 other person like this.
  12. John Long Active Member

United-States
    It's nicely painted Tony. A couple of things you may want to visit; the knee reinforcements go nearly to the ankle on these uniforms. It looks like you have cut them short due to the leg strap for the knife. I can see how this would be misleading. Also, there's quite a gap where the figure's right wrist meets the cuff (not completely assembled yet?).
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers John

Thanks very much for your feedback. The MG and hand are just blu taked in position at this stage. Still some work to be done there. I'll check my references for the knee patches and make some adjustments if necessary. Thanks once again for your comments.
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

It may not look like it, but I've done quite a bit on this figure since I posted the last set of WIP pics. Most of the changes have been minor changes and deepening the washes on the uniform to deepen the contrast and smooth some of the transitions.

Just waiting on a base to get started on the groundwork and finish him off.

As always comments are welcome.

IMG_0591.JPG IMG_0592.JPG IMG_0593.JPG IMG_0594.JPG IMG_0595.JPG IMG_0596.JPG
    moz and NickM like this.
  15. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hi Tony, lovely painting mate. Looking forward to seeing him on his base. What have you got planned for it?
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Tony ,

Nice work , like the uniform colour and the fleshwork ..especially the unshaven look

Easter certainly was a productive time!!!

Keep us posted

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    G'day Nick, thanks for your comments and encouragement. Still not sure what to fo for the base. I was thinking of something simple, but happy to get some suggestions.

Hi Nap, thanks for your comments mate. Glad you like him. Hopefully the finished product will match my vision for him.
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

It's been a while since I updated this thread, and now I can show you the finished figure on its base. I've gone for a very simple bit of groundwork to compliment the figure. The only thing left to do is add the nameplate to the front of the base, which i will call "D-Day + 3".

I hope you like it. Thanks to everyone who commented on and liked this thread.
    IMG_0682.JPG IMG_0683.JPG IMG_0684.JPG IMG_0685.JPG
    Tutilo17, Richie and NickM like this.
  19. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Looks great !

Thanks for sharing Tony, i just recevied this myself.
  20. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tony,
    You should be very pleased it's look superb.
    cheers
    Richie