1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

US Marine P-41 Herring Bone Twill

Discussion in 'United States' started by Capt. Warren, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Capt. Warren Active Member

United-States
    I found a set of USMC WWII vintage utility uniform in my Father's closet. The Jacket was probably made in the mid-WWII era. The width of the pencil/pen pocket and the stitching on either side of that pocket indicate mid-WWII. Also, the closeness of the vertical stitching running the length of the front of the P-41 nearly touches the inboard edge of the pocket, another good indication of the vintage. I took a couple of close ups of the herring bone twill. Additionally, the photos clearly show the stitching, seams and cuts of both the jacket and the trousers. You can see my father's name penned above the USMC & emblem of the left jacket pocket (R.F. Warren). My dad was a pilot of night fighters in WWII, flew helicopters in Korea and A-4 attack jets in Vietnam. He actually flew a close air support mission for me (we were both in Vietnam at the same time.)He also earned 6 distinguished flying crosses and is an inductee in the Michigan Aviation Hall of Fame.

Hope these photos provide a useful reference. P-41 HBT Jacket 2.jpg
  2. Capt. Warren Active Member

United-States
    Sorry, posted before completing the download of photos.

Attached Files:

oldtrousers likes this.
  3. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    Thanks, Marine.
    Did this version of the HBT have to so-called "grenade pocket: sewn inside the left side?
    NR
    Capt. Warren likes this.
  4. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great story behind the uniform, not many can claim to receive air support from their Dad on the battlefield, very unique experience.
    Cheers
    Steve
    Capt. Warren likes this.
  5. Capt. Warren Active Member

United-States
    Just checked Ned, no, there is no grenade pocket. Perhaps they did not issue those to aviators...grenades in the cockpit...dangerous, but not unheard of. Marines regularly dropped grenades (dynamite) from the cockpits of their DH-4's in Nicaragua in 1927.
  6. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    In RVN, we chucked grenades and more from OH6.

Thanks for post.
    N
    Capt. Warren likes this.
  7. Capt. Warren Active Member

United-States
    A unique experience indeed Steve. I was an infantry platoon commander at the time and in a major contact situation. Dad recognized my call sign...he was moving too fast for me to make out the squadron markings on the A-4 and besides, my head DOWN. Dropped napalm and Snakes for me. Battle was OVER after the third pass...
    BTW, I have obtained several 1/9 M-16's from you and I thought I also got some M-1's as well. Great stuff!!!
    Airkid, oldtrousers and 1969 like this.
  8. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Excellent thread! The A-4 - "Ed Heinemann's hot-rod". All round top fighter-bomber with a massive payload for such a small airframe. Got a couple in the kit stash and might just have to dig one out now I've read this. I'd be interested to know what NFs your dad flew in WW2?

Phil
  9. Capt. Warren Active Member

United-States
    Airkid, thanks for the enthusiasm! He flew the F-6F-5N Hellcat mostly. I knew that he also flew a night fighter version of the F4U Corsair and later he flew the F7F Tigercat.
  10. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Wow! Iconic aircraft, all three. Many thanks sir

Phil