1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

US Marine Hill 400 Vietnam - AC Models Review

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Guy, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    AC Models
    ACM10B07
    US Marine Hill 400 Vietnam
    1/10th scale resin
    4 resin parts
    Sculpted & Painted by Andy Cairns

Hill 01.JPG

This is my first review of an AC Models kit and I can say I am impressed. Cast in four resin parts by Andy Cairns this kit depicts a US Marine holding a wounded comrade in his arms.

Hill 02.JPG

Hill 03.JPG

Hill 04.JPG

Hill 05.JPG

The above kit comes packaged in a sturdy cardboard box with the box art photo attached to the top. All parts are sealed inside a clear zip-lock bag. The kit consists of four resin parts. The torso, helmet, right arm and a base plinth support.

Hill 06.JPG Hill 07.JPG

Hill 08.JPG Hill 09.JPG

Above is the main part with the Marine holding his comrade. Slight seam line accross the back which will easily be removed with a hobby knife.

Hill 10.JPG Hill 11.JPG

Hill 12.JPG

Hill 13.JPG Hill 14.JPG

The highly detailed helmet is cast separately and fits onto a lug on top of the head for correct positioning.

[ continued in next posting ]

2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Hill 16.JPG Hill 17.JPG

Hill 18.JPG Hill 19.JPG

Hill 20.JPG Hill 21.JPG

Hill 22.JPG

Above we have multiple views of the bust torso and helmet dry-fitted onto the base support plinth. The bottom of the torso is drilled out to correspond to the support fitting into the bottom snuggly. All dry-fitting was good.

Hill 23.JPG Hill 24.JPG

Hill 25.JPG Hill 26.JPG

Above are four views of the right arm and outstretched hand showing a seam line down the outside which can be easily cleaned off with a hobby knife.

[ continued in next posting ]

3. Guy A Fixture

United-States

Hill 27.JPG Hill 27a.JPG

Hill 28.JPG Hill 29.JPG

Hill 30.JPG Hill 31.JPG

Above we see all the parts fitted to complete the bust. Some work will be needed for the arm to shoulder joint and may need slight filling.

Hill 32.JPG Hill 33.JPG

Hill 34.JPG Hill 35.JPG

Above are several close-ups of the wounded comrade showing the attention to detail of the teeth of the figure as well as the folds of the bandage.

Hill 36.JPG

Above is the base support plinth cast in resin.

Hill 37.JPG Hill 38.JPG

Above are a couple of photos of the finished Marine painted by Andy Cairns taken from his vbench posting

Conclusion:
    An excellent bust that sits above so many others as it has emotion with the outstretched hand as though the Marine were reaching for help. Well detailed and engineered kit with minimal clean-up and preparation needed. Highly recommended. I hope I am able to review more of Andy's figures as they fill a void in subject matter in our hobby.

R372
  4. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    US Marine - Hill 400

Thanks Guy, this is a nice bust from AC (Alistair), very dramatic and a must have. Hhhhmmm got too many must have's at present.

Thanks for posting,RobH.:rolleyes:
  5. Parkadge Member

Ireland
    Looks very good. I like the detail of the helmet. Should be a joy to paint.