1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Update 2: Tartan

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by rej, Feb 14, 2010.

1. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Thanks a LOT everyone as you are making me blush with your overly praise as always.

As you all know Cameron of Erracht is one of the more complicated of tartans to paint :(

After I painted a field of dark blue comprised of Navy Blue (Maimeri) + Black, I laid in the green bands (Nap Green Andrea). After that, I mixed the dark blue + green to obtain the blue green effect of the other squares, as can be seen in the first update of the other thread. Next, black green bordering was painted in. Green ochre (V) + a drop of Tamiya matt acrylic (sorry guys but am at work and don'thave the bottle with me) was used for the "yellow" stripes. Red ochre (Maimeri) was used for the red grid :(

Next came the "weaving" which I achieved by 45degree strokes to the left (I made sure that I kept the strokes to the left, that is upper stroke starting from the left side and end downwards on the right....hope my English is explaing well enough to understand :eek: ) with the corresponding underlying colour, on both the yellow and red stripes. Next came the pronounced weave where the lines intersect as this will be a pure/pronounced/enhanced colour, with yellow ochre and red ochre.

Final step was a diluted overall wash with Blue black W&N Oil + white spirit to unify the whole pattern and sort of harmonize the picture. Ivory Black W&N Oil, again diluted was applied inside the pleats :) after this dried I revisited the intersections with red ochre and yellow ochre accordingly.

Inspiration to and how to paint tartan was always Shep Paine's and Bill Horan's books,(Bill mentions the can of Tartan spray in his book :D) coupled with Danilo Cartacci's recent book. However, the "weaved look" per se was truly inspired at last year's Euro when I gaped in awe infront of Pietro Balloni's bare chested Highlander in Class2, as before that time I never believed that a tartan could be painted in that lively way!!! So apart the 3 books that I mentioned, I also had a photo of Pietro's masterpiece saved on my PC :)

IN BETWEEN ALL THE ABOVE...............BELIEVE ME.......A LOT OF CORRECTING!!!!! AND WHEN I SAY A LOT I MEAN A LOT :( to make things worse, after it was almost ready, that is before the washes with the respective oils, I REPAINTED the red grid from where it passes on the green and blue green bands :( as i painted these a bit on the wide side :( I fought with myself, not to do it, as I tried to convince myself that it would pass, but my conscience did not let me sleep well for a couple of nights, so I just rolled my sleeves and went for it like a grown up :D it is the way I've been bred in scale modelling, and being an SSM member does not help at all, as on Wed I would sure fall prey to the scrutineering eyes of my fellow club mates (I would proudly do the same to them if it was the case mind you) so apart from that, I just really could not have lived with the guilt that I spent the same amount of time just to screw it, so quite a lot of REPAINTING I HAD TO DO...........but now I am free of all burdens that I streched my mere mortal fibres to the maximum limit :D

Thanks for hearing me rant, and again, a heartfelt thanks to ALL of you!!! I really appreciate it!!!!

Ray ;)
  2. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    A masterclass on tartan, you've really lifted the bar.
    superb.
    Derek

Carl
    talking about bars, many have been taken in by men in skirts, low lights, too much to drink just ask Davie Mitchell.
  3. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Thanks a lot Derek, really appreciate and I'm still laughing :D

Ray ;)
  4. giorgiomalteser Active Member

Malta
    Fantastic work Ray, so life like. (y)
  5. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Rej,
    Outstanding tartan,well done.
    Andy
  6. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Superb painting Ray, it was well worth the wait.Look forward to seeing it all come together.

Cheers David
  7. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    George, Andy and David......thanks for looking and your kindness.

Davey and to all your fellow Scots on this forum (Andy, Brian and Don amongst others) who are all like brothers to me.......as I appreciate everyone's feedback equally, I just can't help to mention that I appreciate your feedback just a bit more when you literally "breathe" the subject in question, so your honest and sincere nods mean the world to me!!

Ray ;)
  8. Christosjager A Fixture

Greece
    SO realistic !!! Fantastic paintjob !
  9. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Ray,
    Absolutely brilliant on the tartan. Thanks also for the information on painting, it will come in very helpful.
    Cheers
    John
  10. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Excellent work buddy! This is one of my favorite figures that was released last year and you are knocking it out of the park like always. Hope to see it at Euro this year if I manage to make it! Keep it up!
  11. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Hey Del,

Low Lights, Glaswegian, tattoo'ed ship welder in a cocktail dress, and a dry white wine, don't knock it untill you've tried it, they say mate! He He He!!!

Carl
  12. Francis Gekiere Active Member

Belgium
    A great job on tartan, very intresting SBS, i'm sure that you ave a secret , a litel touch of wisky in the cleaning brush mixt ...... :)

Francis
  13. michelangelo Member

Greece
  14. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Christos, John, Anders, Francis, Stralis thank you all :)

Carl, even though I don't know what you're talking about I still smiled :D

Anders, try and make it to Euro please :)

Ray ;)
  15. blabsy PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ray,
    love the fine detail mate,my eye's would be on storks looking at that,I look forward to seeing it in the flesh!
    Best Regards
    Paul
    www.paulblaber1.moonfruit.com
  16. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot mate :) too kind!!!

Ray ;)
  17. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ray that is awsome work!

And you have inspired me to dig out a Roll call figure i was give last year!

thank you

Mark
  18. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Ray, I echo the others superb paintwork of a tartan!
    It gives the feel of real texture.
    I will save your pics as a reference if I need to paint a tartan in the future.
    Keep up the good work.

cheers,
    Marcel.
  19. Martin Vlcek Active Member

Czech-Republic
    WOW ,
    absoluto crazy, super +nice + excelent+ brilant + beautiful paint , Bravo Maestro bravo (y)(y)(y)(y)
  20. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Thanks Mark :)

Go for it yep that is the spirit :D

Ray ;)