1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Up Helly Ah

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Don, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Don Well-Known Member

Tonight in Lerwick in Shetland they celebrate the festival of "Up Helly Ah".
    The locals remember their connection to Norway as Lerwick was once a Viking settlement. This year the senior viking, the Guiser Jarl, has a squad of around 70 beautifully outfitted Norsemen and a rather splendid Longship which they parade through Lerwick, torchlit, and with around 1000 men and women in or watching the parade.
    The Guiser Jarl and his men seem to visit every pub in Lerwick and the parade end wonderfully with hundreds of burning torches thrown into the longship.
    Its quite a sight to watch, and to see all the outfits and squads of vikings is something special. The festival although the big event is today, actually goes on for days. People come from all over to take part and I believe this year The Guiser Jarl has a chap from West Australia (most likely a Shetlander) in his squad.
    If you have never seen this superb event I recommend you do try for next year, You wont regret it!

Don
    diamond cutter likes this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I remember John Noakes doing a report on it years ago.
    I thought it looked a good do then.
    Carl.[IMG]
  3. Don Well-Known Member

Its a great event Carl though you do need a stomach for strong drink. I think its compulsary.

Don
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I was there one year when I was on HMS Shetland but unfortunately was duty for the main event, however I did witness the sorry looking aftermath at 06:00 the following morning when they returned onboard.
    I have a photo somewhere of us being welcomed by Vikings bearing whiskey just after tieing up in Lerwick.:angelic:

Roger.
  5. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    I was lucky enough to be doing an HMIE inspection here a few years ago that coincided with Up Helly Ah.
    I'm pretty sure they got excellent on all categories.......I have no idea what their quality of educational delivery is though :D:hungover::hungover:
    Gellso likes this.
  6. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Always wanted to get to it but everything is booked up and the prices are astronomical!

:)
  7. Don Well-Known Member

Its all those vikings, looting and pillaging and rapeing that forces the prices up. Lots of people are delighted to be pillaged!
    If you can ever manage Mark I know you would just love it.
    Guiser Jarls squad (70 strong) in beautiful tunics and chain mail, Guiser Jarl wears a stel helmet with wings but most worrying is that all his men carry axes, then they go to pub after pub..........

Don
  8. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ah it looks like a proper hoot Don!
    I was in Orkney 4 years ago the week before Up Helly Ah to visit Skara Brae and heard about it! What a party!!!
  9. Helm A Fixture

England
    I really want to see it before I die but I doubt I will ever be able to afford it :(

Steve
  10. Mark S Guest

Don that sounds like a party worth travelling 16,000 kms for. Must pencil it in to my social diary.
  11. Don Well-Known Member

Steve if one of the Guiser Jarls squad can come from W. Australia I am sure your free bus pass can get you to Shetland, its just up the road from you.

Mark I repeat the first to you, and you are right its a party worth travelling for.
    You all know the old expression "See Lerwick and die". With apologies to the Naples tourist board.

Don
  12. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I recommend the Thule Bar for an interesting evenings "entertainment". ;)
    Don likes this.
  13. Don Well-Known Member

Entertaining is the word Roger, must be just wonderful on UHA night. A guy would need his sword and shield "Right Enough"

Don
    billyturnip likes this.
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Look what I found today whilst searching the loft for something else.... Up Helly Aa... whisky for breakfast with the Vikings. :woot::woot::woot:.... = :hungover:

Roger.

photo.JPG
    ChaosCossack, tomifune and Don like this.
  15. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    You haven't aged a bit.
    What a big chopper,;)
    Carl.(y)
  16. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Cheers Carl.

Things went rapidly downhill after that pic was taken.
  17. Don Well-Known Member

Roger I am sure the vikings have their shields ready just to keep you away from the whisky

Don
    Bet it was a good breakfast!
  18. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    If I remember correctly Don it was more of a case of them making us drink it.
  19. Don Well-Known Member

Aye right................................
    They look better after a night on the drink than you do sober.

Don
  20. Helm A Fixture

England
    Bloody Hell Rog did you paint a H on top of that beret for the choppers to land on :LOL: Mind you what an interesting vignette that scene would make :whistle:

Steve