1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Unterscharfuehrer - H&V Miniatures - 75mm - WIP

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ferris, Aug 25, 2014.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Lovely paint job Adrian. Those German camouflage patterns are tricky but look spectacular when they are done well. I'm following with interest.
  2. Ferris A Fixture

Hi SG, Ski, Scott and Tony, thanks for dropping a comment. Glad you like him.
    As the next step, I hope to get some work done on the trousers this weekend.

Thanks SG for the pictures.
    I'm just thinking, are you sure they are of an original smock? It looks very clean and seems to be a mix of early and late war characteristics (overall cut and the pockets are early war, the light and dark green pattern on the third picture seem late war oakleaf pattern).
    Now, I am no authority on WSS smocks, and German camouflage is a confusing maze anyway, so I don't want to make any definitive statements. Do you happen to know the source of these pics, or have more background on that particular smock? I'd be very interested.

Thanks!
    Adrian
  3. Ferris A Fixture

Here's a bit of progress: managed to get the field grey parts done over the weekend (trousers and the bits at the collar).

And some pics of the helmet cover.

Cheers,
    Adrian

Attached Files:

Stephan, pmfs, Wings5797 and 6 others like this.
  4. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Looks great to me!
  5. gendegaia Active Member

Chile
    Very nice so far. It is a complex figure and also his scheme! Following your work! Looking forward to see more pics
  6. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Coming along nicely Adrian.

Cheers
  7. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Looks good Adrian...
    The posture shows a real devil-may-care swagger.... strutting even.

This is going to be awesome!

Following with anticipation

Colin
  8. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Adrian, Yes the photos I posted you are probably reproductions, but are very close to original prints. You are also correct about two patterns used on the same smock, they were manufactured that way. I also have this figure, and wanted to paint it in the same pattern and colors that Jaume Ortiz used on the boxart. The photos I sent you were very close to his version. An excellent site on camo uniforms is at http://www.2kompanie.org/waffen-ss-camouflage.html Here is a photo from the site showing both oak leaf, and plane tree patterns, used on the same smock. 7552112.jpg Hope this may help you in future projects. Regards, SG:)
    Ferris and Martin64 like this.
  9. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is looking good Adrian(y) , nice casting and pose to this figure and a nice challenge re Cammo.
  10. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Awesome work Adrian.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  11. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Hi Adrian, lovely progress. can you tell us your colours used for base colour of smock etc. I have a few camo patterns to do and love this one.
    Cheers Les
  12. John van Pelt Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Superb work on the camo, love it!
  13. Ferris A Fixture

Thank you John, Pedro A., Pedro S., Les, Keith, Ron, Orlando, SG and Colin. And thanks for the likes as well. Glad you like him.

Sorry for my late response, I've been travelling over the past 2 weeks.

@SG: Thanks for the added info.

@Les: I used the following mixes (all Vallejo acrylics)

Base: 940 + 987 (5:2 ratio)(with Tamiya X22 matte medium mixed in)
    Hl1: Base + 987
    Hl2: Hl1 + 986 (both highlight colours give a faded looking base colour)
    Sh1: Base + 822
    Sh2: Sh1 + 950

Next step was the medium green areas with 940 + 847 (4:1 ratio)
    Then the bright green spots: 857 + 847 + Tamiya X22.
    On the helmet cover I used 833 + 953, with a touch of 940 and 913 for this to get some colour variety.
    The darkest spots I did with 822 + 896.

I made the mixes in an empty press-through chewing gum package. After a session I covered it with broad tape and kept it in the freezer. This way you can use your mixes for a few days and you don't have to mix everything for each session.

To give the spots a nice sharp and rounded shape I used an old 5/0 acrylic brush with 'hooked point'. Normally such a brush is only good for mixing paint, but I accidentally found out that they are good for getting the spots just right. If you thin the paint quite a bit (1:1?), the hooked point can be used to apply a 'droplet' of just the right size. When the drop evaporates a nice sharp-edged spot of the right size and 'roundness' is left. To get good coverage sometimes a second layer is needed (after letting the first dry).

I hope this is of use. I wish you much patience with your version...!

Cheers,
    Adrian
    kiwi45 likes this.
  14. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Thanks Adrian, for the colour palette, it will come in handy for my projects.
    cheers Les
  15. Vaux Well-Known Member

Spain
    It has a great camouflage smock that looks, I like how you worked, waiting to see it finished !!
    I really like the helmet.
    Greetings !!
    Juanma
  16. Ferris A Fixture

Finally some progress on this one: The head is now finished, see below.
    Almost there....

BTW, thanks for your comment Juanma! Sorry for my late response.

Cheers,
    Adrian

image.jpg
    ChaosCossack, Stephan, Joe55 and 3 others like this.
  17. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
  18. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    What a class Adrian! (y)

Cheers,
    Pedro.
  19. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Impressive painting, Adrian. That's an extreme close up shot of his head, but your paint job looks immaculate.
  20. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    nice camo work keep it up keep it up.

Ian