1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Unseen Waterloo book

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by gedmagpie, Jul 4, 2015.

1. gedmagpie Active Member

Canada
    Unseen Waterloo The Conflict Revisited Sam Faulkner

This large format book which Sam Faulkner has produced through Kickstarter to commemorate the 2o0th Anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo is everything it was touted to be. The cover is a wonderful blue cloth with inlaid silver detail of a portion of a Waterloo battle map. Although one shouldn't judge a book by it's cover in this case it is merely the icing on the cake! The inside contains splendid printed pages with single full page photographic images of re-enactors of foot and unmounted troops depicted portrait style as they could have looked on the evening after the battle with double page spread photos depicting mounted troops on horseback. Image quality is first rate due in no small part to the quality used in production from paper to printing. If you have anything from a passing interest to a serious passion on Waterloo or late Napoleonic Uniforms this book is one of the must haves.

Deepest thanks go to my wonderful wife for ordering this book for me as a Christmas present, it has been well worth the wait.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/samfaulkner/unseen-waterloo-the-conflict-revisited-the-book

There is also an exposition of photographs at Somerset House

http://www.unseenwaterloo.co.uk/#home

Gary Donaldson
    Mike S., OldTaff, crf and 2 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    You are one very lucky man it looks a great book

Nap
  3. Claude Portsmouth Active Member

Hi Gary,

Any idea where you can order it from?

Claude
  4. gedmagpie Active Member

Canada
  5. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Dare I say it? I've got mine, and it's everything it's cracked up to be; worth every penny. I recommend this book to all military enthusiasts. It will become an inspiration to recreate,in model form, the look of the faces and the equipment.

Alan
  6. gerryj199 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Agreed. I just got a copy and its an extraordinary resource for painters on so many levels. Wonderful photography, great subjects, a wealth of detail on uniforms, and a valuable study of human expression and posture. Even if you're not a Napoleonic buff (and I'm not) this is well worth the investment and I can't recommend it enough.
    Gerry
  7. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I bought this as a Christmas present for myself. I was a little disappointed at the lack of full figures. The Photographer has concentrated on faces and many of the pictures are quite dark. As a uniform book it disappoints. I am sure bust enthusiasts will gain more from it as it does show interesting faces and textures, dirty clothing, worn leather etc. Not my worst buy but not my best either.

Keith
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    I like the look of this like Keith says bust modellers would gain more but pics are a little dark

I believe some of the images were featured in the Telegraph magazine a while back in 2015

You can buy the postcard set from Amazon as well

image.jpeg

Nap