1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Wanting to Buy Unknown U.S. Vietnam War figure

Discussion in 'Market & Commissions' started by Woods457, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Woods457 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,

While looking on the internet a while back i found this picture on a Polish auction website. When i used Google to translate the page it transpired the auction had ended quite some time previously.:(

US Vietnam Figure.png

To me it looks like Col. Kilgore from "Apocalypse Now" and maybe around 120mm (1/16) scale..

Can anyone tell me who produces this figure and what scale it is, if it's 120mm (1/16) and someone has one in their collection that their willing to part with i would be interested in purchasing it?

Thanks in advance.
    Ian
  2. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  3. MrBMB A Fixture

4. Woods457 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for your input guys...

The picture i attached appears to be missing the forearms but from the Polish to English translation i sort of guessed it was being sold as spares, it did however list it as 120mm-1/16th so i sort of have to take their word for it.

I've never seen it before so it could be from one of the lesser known producers from say Poland, Hungary, Russia or Czech Republic etc.

I'm aware of the Legends & Lore "Col Kilgore" bust and i did even think it might be one of their full 120mm figures or a special edition Verlinden kit as i have a couple of these including an 120mm Adolf Hitler figure..

If there are any Polish members reading this could you please help me translate the webpage better?

Once again thanks..
  5. MrBMB A Fixture

Nap likes this.
  6. Woods457 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Yes, please..

Could i be cheeky and ask that you scan and email me a copy or send pictures across as i've been trying to catalogue the various Legend & Lore kits?

I know what most of them are but the following have eluded me so far:

LL 002, LL 018, LL 019, LL 026, LL 028, LL 035, LL 037, LL 040, LL 043, LL 065 and LL 071 onwards....

Thanks in advance.
    Ian
  7. MrBMB A Fixture

Steady on LOL
    Nap, Blind Pew and Woods457 like this.
  8. engeee Active Member

United-States
    Ian,
    I think the figure in your picture was from (I think it was called) SOFI or CIFI???...I seem to remember the line art, box art. Obviously based on the Kilgore role. I do have the larger Legends & Lore ¾ bust of Kilgore, and it is either 1/9 or 1/6 (not home to say exactly). A much much better likeness of the actor.

Steve
  9. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hofi....?
    Oda likes this.
  10. Woods457 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve,
    I might be completely wrong but i do not think this particular example is from either Hofi or Cifi because it looks to be fairly well sculpted, also the M4 is not made out of white metal, Hofi/Cifi weapons are almost always produced in white metal and the sculpting is almost always lacking too...

I hope it is a 120mm-1/16 figure, i will be so disapointed if i identfy the manufacturer and eventually track one down only to find it's not 120mm-1/16.

Regards Ian
    Oda likes this.
  11. engeee Active Member

United-States
    Ian,
    I certainly agree with you for the most part, however after just looking through the mass of CIFI kits on eBay right now and the weapons do vary from resin to metal. But even more surprising is the quality of the sculpts...some are so simple and crude and others like this are far more in line with the quality of your example.
    Example:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/CiFi419-Se...h=item23b3592b88:g:g1sAAOSwgYlbnkND:rk:6:pf:0

It'll be interesting to learn, should we ever find out.

Cheers,
    Steve
  12. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a Legends & Lore full 120mm Col. Kilgore figure in the 90's VLS catalog. It may be difficult to track down with out a name for the kit, though.
    Good luck in your search,
    Scott
    Woods457 likes this.
  13. engeee Active Member

United-States
  14. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

Yes, that's the bust. I was referring to remembering a Legends & Lore full figure of Col. Kilgore.
  15. Woods457 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I will conceed that one does look OK but the vast majority of Cifi/Hofi kits are shocking, the bodies can be OK but the face and head generally lets them down. I've got quite a few in my collection and i have been disapointed with each and everyone of them so i no longer buy them.

Weapons wise they may have started casting them in resin to reduce production costs, all of the kits i have are white metal weapons and most of those i've looked at on ebay in the past have been too.

Thanks Scott,
    I'm hoping it's from a producer like Legends & Lore, i just wish someone out there has one and is willing to sell it..

Regards Ian
    oldtrousers likes this.
  16. MrBMB A Fixture

Hope some of this helps, not all but some of the ones you were wondering about :)

5 copy.jpg

17. MrBMB A Fixture

18. PanzerIV Member

Hi Ian,

Looking at this figure again, the style of the sculpt and resin colour is similar to a MARS figure I have...

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
    Brendon.
  19. Woods457 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Brandon,

I might be wrong but i dont think it is a MARS figure as i recall visiting their website a few times several years back and their range was mainly WW2 German, Russian and Polish figures..

If theres anyone from Poland reading this thread who knows what happened to MARS can you please let us know??

Regards Ian
  20. Woods457 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,

I'm still trying to identify this figure and its scale, if anyone knows could you please message me..

If by chance its either 120mm, 1/15 or 1/16 and you have one in your stash your willing to part with please also message me?

Thanks in advance.