1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Unite or Die, 54mm Original

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Anders Heintz, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is my latest completed piece, finished just in time for the Atlanta show this past weekend. It's a slightly converted Historex horse with a Hornet head. Painted with mainly Reaper master series paint and Vallejos used for the face. The horse was painted in oils over an acrylic basecoat.

Check out my blog for more pictures, they are too big to post here. I'll resize some and post later on.

[IMG]

Attached Files:

2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent work Anders,

Did you get something with this great figure in Atlanta.

Marc
  3. "Tarakaman" New Member

United-States
    Excellent job Anders!!!!! Love the flag!!
  4. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Anders
    lovely work, you seem to be nailing your mounted figures.
    Hope you make it to Euro with this and some more.
    Regards
    Derek
  5. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks guys!

Marc, this was not the piece the judges selected to judge from my display this year. I did get a gold in the open division, but was for another piece.

Derek,

I might make Euro this year, but we will see, I'd love to though, it being the 25th aniverasry and all that! I won't however be able to bring this piece as it is all ready in it's new owners collection.
  6. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    Great job Anders !!

cheers

stefano
  7. Jehan17 Member

Canada
    Funny as I just finished watching HBO' John Adams series last week where these flags are well highlighted in the titles. Looks excellent in all areas. Congradulations.

How did you find working with the Reaper paints? I've not worked with them but have heard some horrible things say from the Mini painters. By the looks here I'd say it's not that bad.
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I always thought the motto was "JOIN OR DIE". Hmmm who knows. ~Gary
  9. Von Luch Active Member

United-States
    Anders,

A fantastic piece of sculpting and painting! I love skin tones and the expression on his face.

Congrats on your gold medal!humb: Would you post a picture of the gold winner?:D

Jim
  10. Von Luch Active Member

United-States
    Anders,

A fantastic piece of sculpting and painting! I love skin tones and the expression on his face.

Congrats on your gold medal! Would you post a picture of the gold winner?:D

Jim

Not sure what happened, sorry for the double post. I'm typing on an Ipod touch, what a pain!
  11. 湘雅学子 New Member

China
    The face is excellent
  12. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks guys!

Jehan17,

I really like the Reaper paints, they are flatter, and 'lighter' then Vallejos. They are easier to blend as well. There are two lines of paints from Reaper, Pro paint and Masters Series. The Masters Series ist ones I used, and havent tried the others. I've heard nothing but good things over all about them.

Gary,

Yes, the initial political cartoon that Franklin did in 1754 for the Pennsylvania Gazette (May 9th to be exact) had the motto "Join, or Die" written under the snake cut into 8 pieces (instead of 13 representing the colonies). In 1765 the motto was changed to "Unite or Die" using the similar cartoon (but not exact). The motto was changed for political reasons which were more fitting to the times.

Jim,

Thanks! The piece I got the award for was a Civil War vignette I did called "Enfilade Fire". Check out my vBench for images of the piece.
  13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    More or equally fitting to promote colonial unity against the British. I just found the "Unite or Die" motto curious as it did not turn up in my search of Rev war flag references of early stuff. It was cool to see these types of symbols used in the John Adams series. They may have had similar banners/ flags in the movie Revolution with Al Pacino (poorly cast) but I can't remember for sure.
  14. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very nice work my friend!
    Any comment about the Reaper acrylics,I would like to check them.
    Regards
    chris
  15. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I hope you can make it. I was speechless when i saw your sculpted figures in reality. Great work.
    What i have heard is, that Euro is becoming something special this year.
    This is the 25 anniversary off Euro. They would trying to get all the BOS from the last 25 years on display.
    So, this could be something special if it is trough.

Marc
  16. moskowa Well-Known Member

Italy
    I like! very very good,

Davide
  17. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Anders, excellent sculpting and painting and an interesting subject. (y)

Cheers Ken
  18. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent bit of work Anders.
    Carl.
  19. mao A Fixture

Italy
    This is an amazing job in every respec Congratulations for your wonderful blog
  20. maerlandt New Member

Belgium
    whoow, nice figure!!!(y)