1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Union Soldier

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jason W., Mar 30, 2005.

1. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Kenneth!

There are four excellent Osprey books dealing with uniforms. Two for the French and two for the Prussian army. Try to get all four.

French Army 1870-71 (1) Imperial Troops
    French Army 1870-71 (2) Republican Troops
    German Armies 1870-71 Prussia (1)
    German Armies 1870-71 Prussia's Allies (2)
    This one just released...very nice.
    I would start w/ this one because of the variety of uniforms. It might spark more inspiration. :) For the French, get the Republican Troops. Again, for the variety of uniforms.

Looking forward to your future F-P war originals.

Jason
  2. Calvin Member

Hi Jason,
    everytime I see your work, I'm really impressed by the way you work the putty, the figure seem to come from the mould, the texture and finishing touch is simply perfect.
  3. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hey Jason ! Thanks for the reply to my question on the F-P references to get ! You're referring to the 2nd book on the Prussian forces,am I right ? Will do,my friend,will do. Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  4. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Thats the one my friend! I'm sure you'll find plenty of inspiration in there. Looking forward to your next project.

Jason
  5. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Here he is painted. Sorry for the poor pic's. Definitely not what he looks like in the flesh!

Thanks for looking!

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  6. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Jason, beautifully done, I like it a lot.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, Great paintjob on the Yank. Are you using just Vallejo's? What kind of brushes do you use?~Gary
  8. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent work Jason.......both sculpting and painting
  9. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    BEAUTIFUL,Jason,just BEAUTIFUL (y) (y) (y) !!! Cheers.
    Kenneth.
  10. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Roc, Guy and Kenneth!!!

Gary, it's all Vallejo. The brushes too are Vallejo. These brushes are very nice for the price. If properly taken care of, they can last through 7 or more 54's before becoming "stained and frayed". Thanks my friend!
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Really, really nice. I'd say "Sweet!", but someone beat me to it! Looks like he's mentally cussing-out Burnside!

I particularly like the open frock coat, the rolled-up 'corduroy' street - those are very imaginative bits that add color and historical interest.

Gee - why can't we get that kind of imaginative use of the available historical materials and incidental color on EVERY figure? [rhetorical question...pardon the digression.]

all the best,
    Dan
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, Hey could you post your the colors you used for the Union soldier's frock/cap and trousers? thanks.~Gary
  13. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Dan!

Gary, I've been experimenting with grey tones in my blues and I'm pleased w/ the results.

For the frock I used equal parts 899 Dark Prussian Blue (Vallejo) and 867 Dark Blue-Grey for the base.

Highlights were equal parts of 965 Prussian Blue and Dark Blue-Grey. You could use 964 Field Blue, as it turns out that color anyway.

Shadows are equal parts 899 Dark Prussian and Black #?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    For the trousers I used 964 Field Blue for the base color.

Highlights equal parts Field Blue w/ 870 Medium Sea Grey. Extreme highlights w/ Med. Sea Grey.

Shadows-Equal parts Field Blue and Dark Blue Grey w/ a touch of 899 Dark Prussian.

Dilution rates varies. Highlights usually 3-5 parts water per one part paint. Shadows 5-8 parts water to one part paint. Hope that made sense.

Jason
  14. homellop Active Member

Spain
    Hi Jason.
    Nice sculpting and painting.
    The overall result is amazing.
    What's next?
    regards
    jaume
  15. nagashino New Member

Hi Jason

I think this is excellent, and your attention to detail in this scale certainly stands up to close-in photography. I especially like your treatment of the blues - nice and subtle.

Echoing Jaume - what's next?

Best regards and thanks for sharing this with us :)

Phil
  16. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Jaume and Phil!!

I'm starting to paint the Hungarian fusilier. Hope to have him finished by next weekend.

I have some ideas for a couple ACW subjects in the near future.

Jason
  17. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason,

Really nice and thanks for sharing the paint mixtures.

Joe
  18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, Thanks for taking the time to post the paint mixtures.~Gary