1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Union Soldier

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jason W., Mar 30, 2005.

1. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Steve! Oh, yeah! I'll be at MFCA. Looking forward to seeing you and other planeteers.

Jason
  2. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Gary,
    Thanks, yeah I'm feeling more confident with my sculpting. I felt it was time to slow down and see what I could do with a "one of"...One that didn't wear a picklehaube :lol:

The last two figures are already sculpted and ready to be painted. One of them I've posted and the other was a simple sculpt that I felt wasn't really worthy of taking pix of yet until everything is completed.

I was just telling Kreston that when I was CW reenacting, my juices start to flow at this time of year. Since I'm not doing that much anymore, I had to "feed" that craving. But alas... Just received in the mail yesturday my Osprey "German Armies
    1870-71 (2) Prussia's Allies". Veeerrry good book by the way. So that will help motivate me to get back at at.

Thanks again,

Jason
  3. mahross New Member

Jason - Superb. I'm sure it will even better with a coat of paint.

Ross
  4. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Daniel and Ross! Can't wait to see paint myself.
  5. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Jason , simple but veeery effective. Great stuff my friend. BTW will you be in Boston ?

Stephen Mallia
  6. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    This sculpt work is an inspiration for everyone, great master work I love it!! the expresion of the face is trully amazing!! I won't never know how somebody can sculpt a face in this scale..
    ER
  7. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Stephen! No, unfortunately I cannot make Boston. I have no vacation time in July. Although I'm going to try to get somebody to take a few pieces from me to show.

Jason
  8. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Ernest! I agree, these Hornet heads are wonderful.

Jason
  9. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    Cripes, you're not going to Boston either? I'm gonna know like...three people there!
  10. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Hi Jason!

Very nice indeed. You make it look so simple. I really apreciate the SBS you post its great inspiration for people like me.

Cheers
  11. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, I really enjoy viewing your work. Man, you pulled off a really nice piece. And to think you did it in a day! That is pretty cool! I really liked your F/Prussian vignettes. Also liked the scene Kreston Peckham did for our Atlanta Show of VMI Cadets. I know you had a role in it as well. Hope to convince you to come to Atlanta soon. We would love to meet you and view your work! Looking forward to seeing your vignette completed as well.

Happy Trails, Terry Martin
  12. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, I forgot to mention...I also liked the use of rolled A&B Putty for the courdory road! Nice touch! You have alot of imagination. Always good to see details like yours in the groundwork as it really adds interest. Can't wait to see the figure and groundwork painted up!

Best of Everything, Terry
  13. jjgurk Member

United-States
    WOW! Excellent piece Jason.

John
  14. fsdesimone Member

Really?? Yet more confirmation that I'm the slowest sculptor on earth. :eek:
    Seriously, that's awesome that you can work so quickly. Go Jason!

The three-dimensionality of this piece really is superb. Nice job.

Francesca
  15. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason,

Another beauty from you. I think this one is one of your best and I think it is due to the passion you have for this era. I like the FP stuff but I see something in this one that shows a little something extra.

Joe
  16. rdclaeps New Member

Great job. I always enjoy viewing photos of your work.
  17. Djoubri M Well-Known Member

France
    Very beautiful work Mr Withman .

Djoubri M
  18. nagashino New Member

Hi Jason

There isn't much left to say about this terrific piece. The simple ones are more often the best, and you have carried this one off to perfection. You see this type of bloke in so many ACW photos.

Quality ;)

Best regards

Phil
  19. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Janne!

Terry, I look forward to meeting you also someday. Thanks for the comments
    on the VMI vignette, it was a fun sculpt. Kreston and I will soon be working on another project together.

Thanks John!

Francesca, thanks! I should say most of the sculpt was done over the weekend. The armature, filling out the body and both pant legs were finished in that time. The rest of the sculpt went pretty quick. 1/35 scale dosn't really take that long to sculpt when planned out. I also didn't have worry about adding equipment, weapon, etc.

Thanks Joe! Yeah, that era really has something on me. Particularly the ACW. My first trip to Gettysburg was when I was not even a year old! I've visited there "dozens" since then...one year 3 times! My folks say the "ghosts" there have a grip on me ;)

Thanks Roger, Djoubri and Phil! Appreciate the kind words.
  20. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Jason,my friend,AWESOME WORK there !! Looking forward to the painted version soon. Cheers !
    Kenneth.

BTW,I just received the F-P accessories that Bill sculpted.Any advice as to whether I should acquire both Osprey books on the F-P war for reference and inspiration ? Thanks in advance.