1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Union Pioneer, Army of The Cumberland

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by elvis, Feb 16, 2006.

1. elvis A Fixture

Luca has sent me photos of his latest project. A joint conversion between Stefano Borin and himself.

Union Pioneer, Army of the Cumberland

The 1st photo is of the reference for the conversion and painting.

[IMG]

Here is the steps Luca has taken so far.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Awesome work you guys..............I look forward to seeing this develope.
  2. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Luca and Stefano beautiful transformation, I like it.

Guy, thanks for posting.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  3. phc35 Well-Known Member

United-States
    A company, I think called "Old Shako" did that same plate a few years ago. I

like yours better.
  4. elvis A Fixture

:) hello friends, I wanna tell you that only the head, the shoes, and the rifle is a commercial pieces. all the rest of the figure is sculpted by Stefano. ciao to all. Luca
  5. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
  6. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    nice work !!!!
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very very nice. The uniform looks spot on. I also like the hang of the haversack. A lot of sculptors often make the strap way too long that would leave the bag flopping around when the soldier moved. (y)~Gary
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful sculpting and an interesting conversion! Good idea!

One small point - the illustration shows the soldier/sapper/engineer/pioneer - whatever you want to call him - holding a tool my Dad referred to as a "mattock". I'm not sure that's exactly the right name for it. A mattock has a sharper, narrower blade than a typical shovel and has a raised edge at the top. It's used to make straight cuts in earth and by using it vs. a typical shovel you can produce a hole or trench that has more vertical sides. The shovel you are showing with the figure looks like maybe a snow shovel or coal shovel or ?. It should be easy to just change the "blade" part of the shovel with some stiff card stock.

All the best,
    Dan
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    When two masters, one in sculpting the other in painting comes together.
    You can get nothing more then an superbe figure.

Great work.
    Marc
  10. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Luca has sent me an update on his Pioneer progress. Its really starting to come to life.

Attached Files:

11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan, This has got to be one of the best miniatures representing a Civil War soldier ever done by a European. I say this because Civil War figures by Some European sculptors often either look like European soldiers or the "Hollywood" typical "Billy Yank or Johnny Reb". I'm by no means trying say they are not skilled or talented sculptors, it's just the way this particular subjects appears to turn out.

As for the shovel, either Stefano used an example that was close to what Troiani depicted in his painting or he built one based on the painting. To me the blade portion of the shovel is at too sharp an angle while that in the painting is straight. I understand this is a nit picky type of thing that in no way takes away from the sculpture.~Gary
  12. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Luca sends me the finished Pioneer.............awesome Luca. Thanks for the email.

Attached Files:

13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Luca, Nice job on the figure. If it's not too late my only suggestion would be to give the rifle a more "period correct" sling.~Gary
  14. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Looks good to me. It's another one of those poses that looks a little unatural, so I tried it myself - it works and it's good!!
    Good work from two great artists.