1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Union Infantryman

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by swralph, Oct 11, 2014.

1. swralph A Fixture

Hi everyone.
    This is my latest,Verlinden 120mm.Oils over acrylics.I don't think I was on my best form with this,had a bit of an up and down week.I did try to make him a bit dirty,tell me what you think.
    Anyway hope you like
    All the best.
    Ralph.

DSCF0752.JPG DSCF0748.JPG DSCF0751.JPG
  2. Funky50 Guest

Looks good to me Ralph....has that in the field look....Kevin
    swralph likes this.
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Ralph,
    In answer to your question.....He looks a bit dirty:rolleyes:.
    Seriously though you have made a fine job on this fellow Mate.
    I have never tried to paint these closely associated blues, yours look very nice, up and down week or not its a great piece.
    Good on you My friend.
    Keith
    swralph likes this.
  4. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nicely painted and congratulations on keeping the blue oils suitably matt.
    Andrew
    swralph likes this.
  5. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Another great piece Ralph.(y)
    swralph likes this.
  6. swralph A Fixture

Thanks kevin,Keith,Andrew and Carl.Your comments are much appreciated.
  7. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Beautiful paint Ralph you are improve very much each figure. Well done!

Cheers,
    Pedro.
    swralph likes this.
  8. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Nice Ralph, you must be on fire as I remember only liking your work last week. At this rate you won't have a grey army left:sick:, anyway lovely shading with the blues and dirt combined and I also like the wood grain(something i'm tackling now). I thought the white straps might be to clean looking, but that could be the photography.

regards Zane
    swralph likes this.
  9. swralph A Fixture

Thanks Pedro,very much appreciated.

Thanks Zane,so much appreciated.I average finishing a model every 7 to 10 days and yes my GA is shrinking.The reason I paint so much is to keep my mind from deteriorating(I suffer with mental illness)If I'm thinking of painting and painting my mind stay's good,this site is a great help to me also.You are correct about the white strap I should have weathered it a bit more but like you said the pics don't really do it justice.
    For the wood grain I use an acrylic base colour of sandy brown and then gloss coat it,when fully dry I use oil's, burnt umber all over and then splodges of mars orange,I then use a sponge and gently wipe in one motion the length of the gun on each side,top and bottom,this then leave's the wood grain.

All the best
    Ralph
    ChaosCossack, Gambler and zane666 like this.
  10. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    cheers Ralph, thanks for the tip.
    swralph likes this.
  11. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Great job on this corporal Ralph! I can see a difference in tone between the blouse and his trousers. What method did you use to depict soiling? Did you blend in earthtones in oils or did you use pastels? What ever the case, the effect is excellent (y)!

Joe
    swralph likes this.
  12. swralph A Fixture

Thanks Joe,much appreciated.
    For the soiling.After I had painted the blue it was matted down with Dalor and Rowney soluble matt varnish,when this had dried about a day,I then proceded to dirty him.I used three colours Oils burnt umber,yellow ochre and titanium white,using an old stiff brush I started with very tiny amounts of BU and tapped this into places I would assume dirt build up then I would add YO to the to the process then white.Overall this took about an hour to do.This is the first time I have tried doing this and I hope I have explained it so you can understand.:)
    All the best.
    Ralph.
    ChaosCossack likes this.