1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Ultraviolet 1/6 (Warning Nudity)

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by pokrad, Nov 6, 2010.

1. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    I'll try casting, at least 3 copies will be made for friends that helped me making her (photoetching,gun and sword casting etc...).
    More than that will be copyright violation I think, so in the future I'll do some characters (like You do) of my own imagination.
    I only know that I chop off the arms (arms armature is just pushed into some armature tube on the torso, so they can be removed), and the head is also removable,but the rest, hmmm enigma... ;)
    I think I should cut the torso, but not sure yet how to do it since there is solid armature inside. Idea is to hide joint of the torso with the belt, and arm joints with sleeve wrinkles.
    Neck joints should be hidden with hair. I think that the hair should be casted separately.

Of course,suggestions are welcome ;)
  2. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    My experience with the Königs torso was making a deep, sharp cut to the bone of the wire.

The wire was not that thick, only wrapped some thinner wire around it for the grip of the clay.

When cutted around it, I rotated the arms around their centre until the wire cracked at that point.

You can leave it this way for great fit, but you could also edit those cutted parts ofcourse.
    You need some extended applied pieces anyway for making the casting process itself easier.

When making fantasyfigures there are less limitations compared to aproaching likeness. I like doing made up figures better and I even like making bustes more than complete figures.
    More expression, according to me.

René
  3. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Hmmm, if I cut just Sculpey on the torso before baking, do You think that I'll be able to do the same after baking (break the armature)?
    Will the sculpey stick again in the process of baking and seal the cut I made before ???
  4. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Well, Darko..first you need a compliment for working on an entire figure without baking any of it. I would have been terrified damaging lower or upper parts when working out details.

I prefer cutting the figure after baking, more exact.

before baking, you could also think of cutting towards centre with a thin piece of thread, like a loose.
    Once the clay is baked, it will stick no longer to other baked parts.

Lately, I also prefer working with alu foil. parts preparated with a thin layer of alu will also not stick ofcourse but you can make great fitting possible.
    Think of the belt in your case.
    Just wrap the figure at that part with the foil, tightly and make the beltdevice so it can be taken off after baking.

René
  5. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    And no, I don't think the cutted parts will be sealed unless the distance between them is secured.

I think your problem is the thickness of your wire, looks very solid to me and by twisting an arm to get a snap-moment you might damage the clay around it.

think you better saw her bones, jigsaw and your way of preparing the cuts before baking is a good idea.

René
  6. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Wrinkles toned down a bit and changed knee pads:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    gordy likes this.
  7. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    NICE!
    I say you get it cast up and sell a few. Use the Andrea trick and call it "Deadly Courier" or "Beyond Purple" or whatever. I would pay good money for one (is there any other kind of money??? :D )
    gordy likes this.
  8. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    "Beyond Purple", hahahaha I like it !
    Lets wait until I cast it (my first cast ever, so many opportunities to screw it up), and then I'll arrange something if anyone is interested ;)

I'm still with idea to do two versions of fists,so gun and sword can be mounted both on the left and right hand. Probably two versions of torso too, one fully dressed, and the other one just with jacket on. My intention is to learn casting and "joint making" on this piece...

P.S. Jburch, thx very much, I think that the line: "I would pay good money for one" is the BEST compliment one could give ;);)
  9. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    If you go with optional hands, I would cast one set of arms with the hands molded attached, and include the other hands as ones that can be swapped out if desired. That way, if you decide that you like the hands as is, you won't have any seams to fill. But if you want the weapons on opposite sides, you can cut off the cast on hands and attach the optional ones. But, would it really look right to have the sword being held in the raised left hand? I can't picture how she would be holding it for it to look natural. I like the pose as is, gun in left, sword in right.
  10. Maki Active Member

Croatia
    There is a cover poster for the movie showing "Beyond Purple" with the sword raised in her right arm... looks quite cool and perhaps that's what Darko was aiming at:

[IMG]

Mario
  11. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Yes Maki, this was pose that "inspired" me to do optional right hand with sword in it.
    As I said before I have no casting experience, but as I see it, hands must be molded separately anyway, in one piece with sword grip/pistol.
    Maybe hand with pistol would be possible to do attached to the body, but that long sword grip, I think it would be very problematic.
    However, I'll do my best to avoid visible joints.
    I think it is possible cause "Beyond Purple" has glows stuck under coat sleeves, so joints could be hidden very well.
    I'll be doing hands in a few days, so we can go through this idea again and see if it does work...

Of course, any other suggestion is welcome, cause my thinking might be completely wrong...
  12. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Trying to fix issue with the hips. Result might look a bit strange as I used somewhat softer (and lighter in color clay). Still not convinced that this is it, but it looks better to me:

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Arms are detached, now I'll try to prepare waist cut, and probably bake it before continuing to jacket. Jacket on the back and especially on the left side is far from the body, so I'll probably fill the gap with alu-foil and then sculpt the jacket.
    Renéduret and gordy like this.
  13. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    The Venus of Pokrad! :)

Croatia,...dix points!

Looks good!

Rene
  14. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    And I was wondering to what that first hand less image reminds me :)
    Those big boobs really could fit some stone-age Venus.
    I'm seriously considering to make them smaller...any opinions about that ?
  15. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    I think you can judge them better with her head in place, or when clothing is applied.
    Also here, try something with flat alufoil to cover them a bit :)
  16. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    I love checking up to see what progress you have made. So far I am amazed as to how clean your sculpting style is, you are doing a very nice job on her. Cant wait to see whats next.
    Ben
  17. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    I think the chest depends on how closely you plan on making her look like the movie character. Milla is rather modest in the chest, so much reduction would be needed to make it look more like her. I think it would actually look good with a smaller chest. Just my opinion, but when I see one of these fantasy figures with a uber large bust, I kind of take it less seriously and see it only as your typical male fantasy woman. I think it cheapens the figure a little when they have this huge, oversize chest totally out of proportion to their body. It takes attention away from how well other parts of the figure might be done, and the overall quality of the figure. Though in this case, I don't think the chest is at that comic book level of overdone, its just not the same as the character in the movie.Oh, and since we are discussing proportions, I thought I should do a little "research", and ran across this pic that is a good match to your sculpt, I think. Just for research purposes, of course!;)

Attached Files:

18. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    I think this figure will never match character from the movie closely.
    Reason is my mistake at the beginning: I looked at the pictures and saw "strength" coming from it, and somewhere in the process i mixed "strength" with the "mass". What I want to say that all other "parts" are overdone as well. However the chest are the most "overdone" parts so I'll reduce them a bit, to at least size that will match the rest of the body...

Thx all for the attention ;)
  19. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    I tried with alu-foil clothing test, as Rene suggested,and the breasts looked almost grotesque.
    So I reduced the size. This is not actual head, and stands only for the reference.
    They are probably still too big for Milla:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    gordy likes this.
  20. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    She looks like she's had an accident in the third picture.;)
    Excellent work.
    Carl.