1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Ulrich Puchala Busts - In Progress

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by roadking, Mar 3, 2012.

1. roadking Active Member

United-States
    I have been very slow lately with getting anything completed but have shown progress on the two busts pictured here. Both are by Ulrich Puchala, The first being Ferdinand Graf v. Zeppelin 1891 and the second Grand Duke Wilhelm Ernst v. Sachsen-Weimar 1914. Both are well along but are in their rough state due to the details remaining to be painted. Details on colors and technique can be found on my blog http://jimsfigs.blogspot.com Enjoy.

Jim
    SachsenWeimar10.jpg SachsenWeimar11.jpg SachsenWeimar12.jpg Zeppelin08.jpg Zeppelin09.jpg Zeppelin10.jpg
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Well, these two will hold you busy for a couple of months.
    Great start.

marc
  3. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    Nice start, I'll watch it closely.

best regards
    Hendryk
  4. roadking Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Marc and Hendryk. I hope they won't keep me busy that long. I've got way too many other kits to paint! Seriously though I do love painting these portrait pieces. It's more than just painting a uniform. You need to attempt to capture the personality of the individual being portrayed.

Jim
  5. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nicely done and full of life.
  6. Michaelminiatures A Fixture

United-States
    Jim,
    Nice work lots of painting there. Like the subjects
  7. roadking Active Member

United-States
    One down, One to go. I "finished" Zeppelin, although when they sit there for awhile I always find more to touch up or crisp up. This week will be spent completing Wilhelm Ernst.

I have been asked my thoughts on these busts, as per quality. First let me say that I love the subject matter so much that the few negatives that are present are overlooked by me when they might not be by others. I feel that Ulrich captures the spirit and essence of the individuals he sculpts. His ability to capture the nature of the individual in these portraits is to be highly commended. That being said, sometimes the details such as medals and lace could be better interpreted and crisper. This is not helped by what I have found to be quality issues in the castings (made by YS Masterpieces). I tend to be Highly critical of resin castings due to my background with Fort Duquesne. Again having said all that I would not hesitate to buy MANY more kits by Ulrich as they are a joy to paint one prepped properly. Keep them coming Ulrich!!

Jim

Zeppelin11.jpg Zeppelin12.jpg Zeppelin13.jpg Zeppelin14.jpg
    billyturnip and pmfs like this.
  8. Don Johnson Active Member

United-States
    Top drawer stuff, Jim!! One can sense the enjoyment you seem to be getting from working on these sculpts. Looking forward to seeing these at MFCA. Don
  9. roadking Active Member

United-States
    A bit of an update of the Sachsen-Weimar bust. I have done a lot of work on shadowing and general overall darkening of the piece prior to building highlights on the belts, medals and various uniform bits. I have started working on the helmet plume and sash as well. There will be two green stripes on the sash as well as green details on medals and the waist belt. Lots of work to do on this piece.

Jim

SachsenWeimar13.jpg SachsenWeimar14.jpg SachsenWeimar15.jpg SachsenWeimar16.jpg
    pmfs likes this.
  10. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Thanks for posting these Jim, I've just bought several busts from Ulrich so your work will be a useful guide-like you I like these personality figures from Ulrich he is also a very nice man to deal with.

Keith
  11. roadking Active Member

United-States
    Yes Keith, he is a great guy, one of the best.

Jim
  12. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Nice busts Jim, full of detail and embroideries and insignia. Some time ago I follow your blog and I would say your preference is the roman soldiers in 54mm. I like to see this two big .
    I follow.

Military miniatures painted by Eduardo Garcia
  13. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Great stuff jim,great to see some of your work again,i love the Ferdinand bust,so much personality in it,lovely painting as well,thanks for posting Jim (y)

Brian
  14. roadking Active Member

United-States
    I finished Sachsen-Weimar yesterday and am quite happy with the results. I really enjoy these busts and the challenge of capturing the personality of the individual portrayed. One of the joys of our hobby (at least for me) is reading and studying available materials on the subject I am painting. This aspect is especially important when doing a portrait piece. Grand Duke Wilhelm was an arrogant and not so nice person from what I have learned. I hope I have captured that in this piece.

I have just received two more busts from Ulrich, Ludendorff and Tirpitz. These will be my next busts along with one of Mike Good's pilot busts from the Dragon WWI aircraft kits, Hans Goerth.

Jim

SachsenWeimar19.jpg SachsenWeimar20.jpg SachsenWeimar21.jpg SachsenWeimar22.jpg SachsenWeimar23.jpg SachsenWeimar24.jpg SachsenWeimar25.jpg SachsenWeimar18.jpg
    billyturnip likes this.
  15. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Jim,what an amazing job you've done on both of the subjects.
    Your blues and reds rendition is subtle yet they are striking to the eye.
    The fleshtones makes this figures to look so real that is a bit scary (y)
    All the best and keep up with your great work!
  16. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hi Jim

unbelievable great paintjob.
    I like your style so much .

Cheers

Hendryk
  17. roadking Active Member

United-States
    Thanks guys! Appreciate the comments.

Jim