1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP 'Ulla' - The War of The Worlds

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by smudger1960, Feb 8, 2011.

1. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Bloody hell Brian I turn my back for a day or so, come back and you have created a masterpiece, lovely work mate.

Steve
  2. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Hello Brian
    I think with this diorama, I see a real situation the Second World War, this work is really from another planet
    Excellent

Alexandros
    http://alexminiatures.blogspot.com/
  3. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Carl / Pedro / David / Steve / Alexandros - many thanks guy's for your support.
    Rick - Glad you like the photo's,i'm slowly getting used to my new camera.
    Marc - Yes i do sleep,i have been doing a lot of night work recently so this enables me to spend alot of time in the day modeling and painting,i prefer this as i dont have the kids or the wife to worry about.

I have now finished all the painting of the groundwork exterior and interior,this was completed using the process i described in one of my earlier posts.

The telegraph poles are at the point i require them at this stage as are the lamposts,the oil drums have been finished with different shades of grey and gunmetal and weathered with burnt sienna and juanne oil paint.

The bicycle only neede minimum painting as 50% of it would be covered with rubble.

I still need to add some street signs which i nned to make myself,these i will complete in the next session.

The roof tiles have been finished by again using differnt shades of grey acrylic foolowed by sepia washes and finally weathered with burnt sienna oil paint.

All the furniture was removed and painted with different shades of greens and browns with some flesh added for dust effect,oil paints wer'e used for streaks of dirt on each piece of furniture,you dont have to be too paticular with this process as the furniture needs to show signs of damage as well as dust from the rubble,it was just a matter of playing arround with different paints until i was happy with the result,the furniture was then replaced in their respective positions with epoxy resin.

The middle floor lampshade was painted and weathered accordingly.

There will also be plates and bottles on the scene,these will be painted and added in the next session.

A big thank you to everyone who has supported me in this project,i'm thourghly enjoying myself,as i said before it makes a change to do something different,hope you like where i'm upto,i will be deciding on the figures shortly.

Happy Painting - Brian :)

Attached Files:

4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hope this is coming to Euro to admire it in reality.

marc
  5. Ferris A Fixture

Impressive project, great execution!
    I look forward to the machines.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Cool Brian! Bring on the martians!

All the best,
    Dan
  7. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Thats awesome, a lot of detail in there that will keep you looking for ages, well weathered also. Cant wait to see the machines.
    Ben
  8. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    After a busy weekend i finally got back to the workbench,following on from the last post 80% of the exterior work and interior work was complete,what i now wanted to add wer'e some of the smaller details which would compliment the furniture,these wer'e chosen from the verlinden range and represent bottles,cans,plates,books etc,these i would place as required on the diorama to add more realism when its being viewed.
    These wer'e all undercoated seperately using GW skiull white acrylic,after 30min drying time i started to paint these with different base coat colours and once these wer'e dry i weathered them with lighter faded colours,the final step in this process was to all the accessories a thin wash of GW sepia,this gives the pieces a nice weathered / dirty look which is what i was looking for,it also helps tone down the brighter colours used in the weathering process.
    Some of these accessories wer'e placed seperately and some with the furniture as required.
    I added a small wheelbarrow to the exterior street scene from the andrea range also with some accessories,this i will finish painting next time round.

I'm in the process of making some street signs as well,these will be disscussed posibly in my next post.

I always wanted to incorporate some of the features from the musical and this would involve adding the red weed,i thought about the many ways i could replicate this and i finally decided upon liquid plastic which would be coloured with GW blood red,for those of you who have never used liquid plastic i will explain,its used quite alot in converting plastic figures and is used quite widely in aircraft modeling,the way to make it is to take a couple of small bottles of liquid poly from your local model shop and pour this into an empty glass jar,you then add pieces of plastic sprue or plastic card and let it disolve into liquid plastic,you can apply it with a brush or toothpick to any surface and it dries and set off in about 15mins of application,depending on how thick you want it will depend on how much plastic you add,its up to each individuals taste.

This mixture i then added to the scene with an old brush,as in the latest film and the musical the red weed was quite evident and would cover most of the ground and structures once it was released by the martians,i did'nt want to go too mad with this as i still wanted some of the structure to show through,it was difficult reaching the right balance about 50 / 50 but i'm very happy with the way its turned out.

I apologise if there's been a few days break between posts but work commitments are quite heavy so i will keep you posted when i can.

Brian :)

Attached Files:

sarouman and gordy like this.
  9. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    The photo's of the red weed will follow shortly
  10. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Following on this is my latest post,i've tried to replicate the red weed with liquid plastic coloured red and when dry i have added thin coats of liquin also mixed with red and orange,the liquin will give it a wet look once dry.As in the album and the speilberg film the red weed was quite prominent so i had to lay it on just as the martians had done within the scene,a few street signs wer'e added and weathered accordingly.At this stage i have a couple of ideas for the fighting machine design,there is one change however from my first post,it will now be one machine and not 2x as i first thought.Thanks,Brian :)

Attached Files:

sarouman likes this.
  11. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Brian you've painted the town red, Wow !!! My first reaction was you've covered up the best bits , however after a closer look I'd say you've probably got it just about right. Excellent work now bring on the machine.(y):)

Cheers Ken
  12. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks gents for all your kind coments.

Ken - it was a worry having to initiate the red weed but i had to add it as its descibed inthe story,i think i got the balance right,however it be be a matter of taste for each individual.

I started work on one of the machines yesterday,as i stated before my scratcbuilding skills are quite limited,what i wanted was something similar in shape to the fighting machines depicted in the musical from which i could then add my own touches to it,i finally found what i was looking for in size and shape in tesco's while shopping,i purchased one of the Airwick air fresheners which was just the sort of thing i was looking for,this would complete about 60% of the machine,i still need to work on the front of the machines which i'm still working on.

As you can see from the pictures i completely gutted the air freshener so i was left with just the shell,i needed to sand off the airwick logo and the on/off switch until smooth.
    I then studied different pictures from the album and started to make the cut-outs 3x in total for each machine which would accomodate the housing's for the tri-pod legs.

I also added plastic strip to the shell which was depicted on the machines on the album which would represent possibly paneling of some sort.

Appologies for the delay in postings,i will keep you updated accordingly as soon as i can.

Attached Files:

Ferris, Jamie Stokes and gordy like this.
  13. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Now that's cool! (y)
  14. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Following up from the last post i have started to assemble the fighting machine,the main bodywork was created from a air freshener as i described in the previous post,this was detailed with plastric strip and odd pieces of plastic parts from my scrap box.
    The tripod legs were assembled from plastic tubing,i wanted to create the effect of hydraulic legs so differentg diameters of tubing was used,the upper leg casings were made from plastic card.
    I have started some detailing on the tripod legs and feet which will be finished in another sitting.
    I will also start on the front portion of the machine next as well,i have positioned the machine as having crashed through the roof section with the right side of the scene occupied by some figures overloking the fallen machine,i have in mind the figures i want to use and these will be assembled and painted in the next few sittings.

Attached Files:

Ferris, mil-mart and gordy like this.
  15. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking good (y) Nice work on the fighting machine!
  16. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Brian, great work on the machine and who would of thought an Airwick :) a great conversion and nice work on the legs. (y) following.

Cheers Ken
  17. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Apollogies for the delay since my last post and this one but i've had to take some time out due to a personel illness,but i'm now back at the workbench fully recovered and eager to catch up from where i left off.
    On my last posting i started to assemble the fighting machine which was constructed from the shell of an airwick airfreshener and details added using plastic strip and rod.
    Painting was started by undercoating the piece with games workshop chaos black and once dry i airbrushed several different shades of IJN gey from the tamiya acrylic range,this was progressivly lightened on each coating with flat white also from tamiya.
    I then airbrushed flat black arround the panel areas and these were further detailed with umber / sienna oil colours.
    Dirt and oil stains were added with streaks of sienna and umber oils.
    The main hood area was undercoated with shades of dark green and medium green acrylic and when dry shades of green oil paint was added lighted with small touches of yellow until i achieved the effect i was looking for.
    At present i have only started on the front area of the machine but will keep you posted.

Attached Files:

Ferris, Jamie Stokes and gordy like this.
  18. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Best looking airwick airfreshener I have seen mate !!!

Good to see you back Brian and glad you are over your illness.

Cracking bit of scratch building mate, really looks the part.

Steve
  19. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Well said! Thanks for the update Brian (y)
  20. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    When Airwick freshers go bad.......

Great use of the product, great painting,

and thanks goodness you have recovered!

welcome back, looking forward to more!

Cheers