1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

UEM Gaul Warrior Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Sambaman, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Excatlon Active Member

Poland
    Great work!!!!:D

how did you painted the "tartan"??

best regards
  2. diosytexas Member

England
    hi jay, great as ever, can i ask when you did the cloak after you had blocked out the squares and painted the fine lines did you give the whole thing a wash with a light green colour as the whole thing seems toned down from the first set of photo's. great work jay well done. dave.
  3. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Damian, Dave, first of all, many thanks for the kind words.

The tartan is painted as follows, You should be able to see in the images that I block out the basic pattern in acrylic paint to start with. In this case the disecting dark and light lines. once I start in with the oils, each of these individual "blocks" is painted seprately. I have a light, medium, dark and shadow color mixed up. I paint the darkest blocks with the dark color and shade them with the shadow tone (darker version of that color). I use the medium tone for the middle blocks, and shade it with the dark tone for shadows, and the light color for highlights. I used the light color for the lightest blocks and added white to highlight it and the medium color for shadows. WOW! I know that sounds confusing, I just hope it makes a little sense!

The fine lines (light and dark stripes) are each done with the light and dark colors from above. I have to wait for all of the base "blocks" to be painted and dry before I lay these in as I add these with a very thin brush (in oils) and that way I can go back in and correct with thinner if I make a mistake. The beauty of oils, they stay wet WAY long enough for me to be able to clean up my fine lines on a project such as this.

Dave, I didn't add a wash. I think what you may be seeing is the difference between the oils as wet, or at least prior to Dull Coating. GASP! Yes, I dull coat and I think it adds a nice over all tone and certainly a perfectly flat finish! Hope that answers your questions gentlemen! If not just let me know!

Jay H.
    OKC
  4. paulyrichard New Member

United-Kingdom
    Wonderful work, Jay. The cloak is somethin' else, superb work.
  5. moore Active Member

United-States
    Hi Jay,

As usual... great work. The flesh tones are great...and
    your are so good with the tartan's.

How do you get the lines so straight ?
    When you say you "block" out the basic pattern.. then you undercoat
    each sq. individually ?
    Could you use a pencil to draw in the lines or blocks ?
    I am going to try a plaid shirt on my next bust.. but its only basically
    the collar that shows... and just a small part of the front of his shirt.

Hope to see this one too in Chicago .

Dee
  6. Theodoros A Fixture

Greece
    The tartan is so vivid.
  7. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Paul, Dee, Theodoros, thanks for the comments!

Dee, what I do, in this case is take a brush that ends up being virtually the exact width I want for the main stripes. With that I use my undercoat colors (acrylics) to lay out the basic stripe pattern. Does that make sense? The undercoating is done in freehand stripes (not the small stripes, just the larger main stripes). When I move into the oils is where I get to shading the individual squares, that is where I have my shades mixed up and paint each one individually. The smallest stripes are simply painted freehand with my lightest and my darkest oil colors. I paint them once all of the base oils are dry and so if I get a line I don't like, I simply clean it with a clean brush dipped in a small amount of thinner. The wet oils clean right up. This lets me knock down the line from either side and get it just right. I supose, if you have the room, drawing out the basic shapes in pencil first could be a possibility. I freehand all my lines, and would be worried about the thin oils not covering any of the heavier pencil lines you might end up with. Maybe experiment on a sheet of Evergreen before going in on a figure! Good luck, see ya in Chicago!

Jay H.
    OKC
  8. daniel Well-Known Member

France
    Answer

Hey Jay, Fantastic paint ... O)

Daniel
  9. eissteban Active Member

France
    hi Jay
    the tartan is really incredible, bravo

Seb.
  10. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Daniel, Sébastien,
    many thanks for looking and the kind words!

Jay H.
    OKC
  11. moore Active Member

United-States
    Jay,

That's a good idea to try it on a sheet of Evergreen first.
    Will go step by step using your instructions and see if I can get it.
    Hope you have time to chat with me in Chicago.

Thank you
    Dee
  12. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Always have time for you Dee. Look me up!

Jay H.
    OKC
  13. "Tarakaman" New Member

United-States
    Great work Jay,can't wait to see that "Hopolite" of yours!
  14. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Matt, back to your doughnuts! Hup-to!

Jay H.
    OKC
  15. dinovision79 Active Member

Jay,

it's amazing painting overall, good character and the tartan is completely awesome!
    Thanks!

Denes
  16. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Denes, too kind, glad you like it!

Jay H.
    OKC
  17. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Stunning, Jay excellent all round.
    Carl.
  18. alamac Well-Known Member

Australia
    Beautiful work Jay, I particularly like your tartan work, congratulations
    Alan
  19. theseeker Member

United-States
    Jay,
    Your work is breathtaking as usual!
    Rocky
  20. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Hello,Jay.
    Excellent work as usual.
    The picture in the middle of making, was very helpful for me.

Mitsutaka