1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

U.S. Ranger

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by slaj, Apr 26, 2004.

1. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Guys here are a few pics of a project I'm working on. It's a US Ranger.The cast product will be distributed to exhibitors taking part in a new show that will be held in July in Italy.

Stephen Mallia

Attached Files:

2. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    another one of the hedgehog:)

Attached Files:

3. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    the hedgehog in seperate parts

Attached Files:

4. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    some detail of the life saving equipment sculpted( in progress ) directly on the groundwork

Attached Files:

5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    That looks great Stephen.....what scale will it be for?
  6. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Rifle in progress.Still a lot to go !!

Attached Files:

7. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    The helmet in progress

Attached Files:

8. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Guy , you are way too fast for me !! Thanks my friend. It will be in 1/35

Stephen Mallia
  9. Edson Member

Mexico
    Looks great so far, curious, Im working in a proyect about Normandia unload so, maybe this could help me lol :lol: ohh god, the right things in the right moments cool!!! :lol:

cheers
    Ed ;)
  10. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Thanks Ed.I've gathered a little stuff on the subject so if you need some help just fire away

Stephen Mallia
  11. Pete_H New Member

Stephen,
    Hey, this is bringing back lots of memories! I did a similar diorama about 4 years ago in 120mm. I'm at work right now, but I'll post pictures on my vBench when I get home (say in about 4 hours from now). I too am curious about the scale. Also, is there any chance you can save a casting for me? I'd go to the show just to get my hands on a casting, but Italy is a bit out of my way :)
    A couple of suggestions, if I may:
    1. make the beams on the hedgehog longer, particularly on the ends that are sticking up. They were typically made out of railroad junction rails (the ones that slide side-by-side to switch trains from one track or another) or by actualy rails themselves (looking sort of like "I" beams). These were pretty long, with the bottom ends sinking deeply into the sand. However, the exposed ends would be longer. When I did mine, I examined pictures of the "real things" and worked out the scales. The beams came out to close to 8 feet in length.
    2. the M1 helmet should be a bit taller, but just a bit.
    A good reference for such a project would be the "Saving Private Ryan" photo-book. If you can get your hands on one, do so - it's filled with very good pictures of the opening scenes. If not, let me know and I can scan some pictures for you.
  12. Joe Hudson Active Member

United-States
    Hey Stephen,

It is looking really nice and I look forward to seeing it in the sbs. I may have to try and see if I can pick this one up. ;) This WWII bug, I don't think there is a cure for it! :)

Joe
  13. Pete_H New Member

Joe,
    Surrender to "the dark side," my friend! I've been reading about a certain Private in the 82nd. Airborne who would make a great subject for a 54mm figure - PFC Carl Spackler :lol:
  14. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Pete , Thanks for your comments and the info. With regards to a casting of the figure , as soon as it's done i'll try to get one for you and send it over. As for the beams , I do intend to depict it dug a little deep in the sand, so that might lose some height. I will send pics with the figure included so we can see how it measures up. The photo book of Saving private Ryan will be greatly appreciated if you can scan a few of them. I have some myself but don't know if there are more. Let me know pls.

Stephen Mallia
  15. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Joe, thanks.As with Pete I will try to get you one too. It should be done before july anyway

Stephen Mallia
  16. Joe Hudson Active Member

United-States
    Stephen,

Thanks and let me know what I will owe you.

Joe
  17. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Stephan, eccelente amico mio. (y)
    Keep up the great work.
    Roc. :)
  18. Pete_H New Member

Stephen,
    Much appreciated, amigo! I'm at work right now, but I'll get on the scans in a few hours. Do me a favor - send me an email at captnpete@cox.net so I can have your address on file. I can't seem to send attachments with emails sent through this forum.
  19. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Stephen

very much looking forward to the progression of this, as its in the exact same timeline i'm working on.

BTW, if the book doesn't come up, check out this site:
    Saving Private Ryan Online Encyclopedia

If you go to various entries, there are screenshots that may be of use (right hand side of page (try Omaha Beach)

Rob
  20. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Rob , thanks.That's fantastic info you provided. Some cool pics of interesting use

Stephen Mallia