1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique U.S. Marine Fallujah, (Young Miniatures).

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Jeff T, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Jeff T Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hi everyone,

This is my latest work, Young Miniatures USMC Fallujah Iraq 2004 bust.I painted it in mostly Vallejo Acrylics, with some use of enamels for the metal parts.

I didn't like the look of the GI Joe type doll in the Camelback, and didn't want to use it, (even if it was modelled on a real photo),so I re-sculpted the shape of it.I substituted the resin drink tube for a styrene rod one, and also substituted part of the rifle strap for strip styrene as well, as I just couldn't get the resin to bend without snapping it.

I still need a lot of work on my flesh tones, but I was quite happy with my first attempt at acrylics for the face, hopefully I can get the tones a lot better on my next one.

All comments and critique welcome,

Thanks for looking,
    Jeff.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Sturm Grenadier and Edorta like this.
  2. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice cammie!
    Gambler likes this.
  3. YongA01 Active Member

Malaysia
    Hi Jeff ,
    the digital pattern really nicely painted. First attempt looks promising. Only comment is the eyes, in future you should avoid using black or such dark color to outline the eyes. Look for some photo reference that will provide u good guidance. Cheers!
    Steve and Gambler like this.
  4. Jeff T Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks Steve and Yong!

Yes Yong, the outline of the eyes is pretty dark, and the eyes being recessed pretty deep on this figure has probably made it worse.I will look at how others define the eyes and see if if I can rectify it for my next one.

Thank you for the critique and advice, much appreciated!

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
  5. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Steve likes this.
  6. Jimmy S Well-Known Member

Australia
    Jeff great job on the cam patterns looks exactly right!!! I agree with you about the face great first effort with acrylics, I'm tempted to try acrylics but cant get the hang of them. Knowing you I bet you crack it on the next one and look forward to your next post. Might see ya next year at Illawarra. Give me a buzz if you need anything.
  7. Jeff T Well-Known Member

Australia

I tried that Monty, but I still had no luck, don't know what I was doing wrong, but I couldn't get it to sit right without snapping.

Thanks for the tip anyway!

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
  8. Jeff T Well-Known Member

Australia

Thanks a lot Jim!....yep, hope you get down to Illawarra next year mate.

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
  9. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    yes its coming on. the face needs a bit more work on it but overall very good. I find when I paint faces it can take an hour or it doesn't matter how many times I try to fix it , it just doesn't happen. so I paint over it with white enamel paint and try again next day. on any figure the first thing people look at is the face. your model is very good though and I look forward to seeing it finished./ badger.
    Gambler likes this.
  10. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Wow!!!! That camo is outstanding, great work. Well weathered also, looks dusty
    Ben
    Gambler likes this.
  11. Mark S Guest

Love the work you've done on this bust!!
    The camo work is excellent, but those eyes need some work,..lose the black eye liner I reckon.
    Gambler likes this.
  12. swralph A Fixture

I agree
  13. Jeff T Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks a lot for the comments and critique guys!

I've just had a look at Mark's, (Gothicgeek), eye tutorial in the articles section, and I 'll use that for a guide on my next figure to try and get the eyes right, I forgot that Mark had done that some time ago.

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
  14. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Nice job, great camo. No GI Joe?
  15. Jeff T Well-Known Member

Australia

Thanks a lot Ventress!.....no, I didn't like the look of the GI Joe doll in the Camelback, so I modified it.

Cheer's,
    Jeff
    Ventress likes this.
  16. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The Marpat and Woodland camo looks exceptional.
    Just take on board about the flesh and eyes and your there.

Great work,

Gells
    Gambler likes this.
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi jeff,

As others have said the camo details are excellent. Face painting is of course the hardest skill a figure modeller can master, so you're not alone in wanting to improve there. All I can say is practice, practice, practice. Every face you paint brings you closer to your goal.
    Gambler likes this.
  18. Jeff T Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks a lot Gells and Tony!

Feedback much appreciated guys.(y)

Cheer's,
    Jeff.