1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

U.S. Army Camoflage Uniforms at Normandy

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Sturm Grenadier, May 12, 2013.

1. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Everyone, While looking for uniform details on U.S. Army troops in Normandy 44, I found that for a short time, before they were replaced for resembling Waffen SS uniforms, that American soldiers wore camouflaged clothing similar to the U.S. Marines. The Army version was the M 1942 fatigue uniform pattern with large cargo pockets on the jacket and trousers. The only unit I found who wore them was the 41st Armoured Infantry Regiment, from the 2nd Armoured Div. Was this the only unit who wore them? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. It's a shame that these uniforms were phased out, they sure blended in with the hedgerows and countryside of France. Friendly fire became to deadly. Regards, SG ARMY CAMO.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. DanceCommando3k New Member

United-States
    Some from the 2nd ID and the 30th ID wore these as well. 2nd ID, 30th ID, and 41st AIB were the selected units to wear this for field trials that had started in late spring/early summer of 1944.

- Seba
    Sturm Grenadier likes this.
  3. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Seba, Thanks for the info. Regards, SG
  4. aknific Member

I believe aside from 41st Armoured Infantry, it was mostly the attached Combat Engineer battalions ("ECB") that wore this uniform.
    In the past this was discussed in the Missing-lynx.com "Allied" DG. A search on that forum should provide some more information.

e.g.:
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/thread/1357447856/Bench progress- Orange Hobby U.S. M1 57mm AntiTank Gun (Early Version)
    - Has some links to more pictures

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/message/1143414129/Sorry Ed, .......... but that's just wrong !
    -- Mentions "Co.B, 41st Armored Inf.Reg., 2nd Armored Div and elements from the divisions 17th Engineers and combat medics wore the 2pc. m1942 HBT Camo Uniform."

Good luck on your search!

Anthony
    Sturm Grenadier likes this.
  5. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    mb0m1h.jpg Hello Anthony, Thanks for the info. Some of the pictures I have seen before, and the ones I haven't, are just what I was looking for. The photograph of Sgt. Bill Totterdale, B/41st AIR is excellent, would make for a great figure wedgie. Thanks again Anthony, much appreciated. Regards, SG
  6. phc35 Well-Known Member

United-States
    the uniforms were taken out of service for the most part in the ETO ,due to friendly fire casualties. Most G.I.s would fire first at anybody in cammo and ask questions later
    Though on page 28 of 1944,La Poursuite Alliee,la liberation de la Seine a laMeuse byRonald MacNair, there is a photo of a motorcycle dispatch riders and one has the cammo suit on
  7. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    HBTCamoWLA.jpg Hello Jay, You are right about the friendly fire incidents involving American troops who wore these camo uniforms. Intelligence gathering on the American part, should have known they were asking for trouble with the similarities to German camouflage uniforms at the time. The Waffen SS Pea Dot pattern for example. The dispatch rider photo I have seen on many sites, it is a great reference, especially for motorcycles. Regards, SG