1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

U-Boat captain

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Meehan34, May 27, 2010.

1. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    This is the latest thing that I have finished, it is from Warriors and I think is pretty old. I found it while rooting around in the back room of the Hussar (our local figure shop in Tulsa). I tried a different approach to painting this guy and think he turned out pretty decent. I also tried to create a U-Boat deck apperance on the base with paper clay. As always all critiques are welcome.

Thanks for taking a gander at him.

u1.JPG

u2.JPG

u3.JPG

u4.JPG
  2. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Like it very much, the paints and tunic are great,however I would tone down his skin a bit IMHO bit too much paleness looks ghostly - or perhaps the back ground in the photo gives the impression.:D
  3. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    Hi Mike,

Your new approach is a treat to the eyes. But maybe it is a style and look more coherent when painting a girl or fantasy kit?
  4. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    I like alot what you ve done here Mike. I have to agree with Rob though about the face. Could use some more warm tones like the ones you have on his right hand.
  5. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looking great Mike. What scale?
    Carl.
  6. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Mike,

you capture the appearance of a sea wolf Kapitanleutnant very well(y)
    The pale skin are very well done:)
    Congrats
  7. Ferris A Fixture

Hey there Mike,

The bright background in the pictures makes it kinda hard to see properly, but from what I see I do like the colours and contrast in your painting of this one. The highlights on the blue are maybe a bit on the strong side.

I wouldn't worry too much about the pale skin: this guy is on a U-Boat deck somewhere in the chilly Atlantic and a submarine is not a good place to get a healthy skin colour anyway. Added to that, he looks like he has spotted something that scared the s&*t out of him...

Cheers,
    Adrian
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I have a question about the model itself. What are the seams indicated by the blue-penciled in areas on the photos u1 and u3 attached? Are those supposed to be clothing seams? If those are leather pants, they appear too rough to me. Sand 'em maybe?

As far as the painting goes, I'm no kinda painter, so can't comment about that. I took your u4 photo, used a little Photoshop to crop it and to alter the colors a bit. The skin tone looks a little warmer maybe. Just a suggestion - feel free to disagree.

I like the model basically and your style of painting a lot, just a little suggestion about the skin tone. Actually I think I'd like it even warmer in tone, probably.

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

• u1.JPG
      u1.JPG
      File size:
      38.4 KB
      Views:
    • u3.JPG
      u3.JPG
      File size:
      40.9 KB
      Views:
    • u4.JPG
      u4.JPG
      File size:
      33.6 KB
      Views:
  9. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    thanks guys so much for the comments..positive and negative. They all help and I appreciate them. I tried for a different look on this guy, I wanted him to appear as if someone was painting 2D on a canvas. I really worked on over working the lights on this guy for this apperance. As for his light skin I made him very pale on purpose, maybe was good maybe was bad but it looked like a couple pics I saw on the net of those crazy dudes.

Rob; Ghostly, exactly.

Michael; the fantasy over painting look was what I was going for. To be honest it was fun to try but probably better served on something smaller than 120mm. This was the first 120 I have attempted and it didn't cost but $15 so I could afford to try out something new.

Dimitrios; you are the man. you're painting is supreme. Thank you for posting.

Carl; I think we are brothers.

Pedro; thank you my friend.

Adrian; Thank you, he has seen a boat that will send him to the long icy sleep that we all fear.

Mr. Morton; Thank you for the comments.yes I take those as seams on his pants and painted them like I saw them. His flesh could be warmer and that could be an easy fix, but that would defeat the purpose of this guys fate with the sea floor. He has already seen his fate and his fate just fired. I truly appreciate the input and hope for more help in the future. I am new to the hobby and still searching so please keep helping.

as always I appreciate the help and critiques. If something sounded like I was mad then eff you.. I'm not mad. I just started painting and need the help.

seriously, thanks a lot.
  10. tiger111 Member

United-States
    They are not leather pant I believe; however this photo of the crew in jump suits may help and gun officer. I don not think the captian would be out on the deck with gun crew as a norm. Hope to see it in Tulsa.
    Brent

Attached Files:

11. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    oh man, cool pics. The figure I bought was in an old box with no box art so it is cool to see him painted. that display with the crew is really cool.
  12. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Nice piece Mike , it has good sense of feeling and your painting is nice .
    Good job

Costas
  13. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Nicely done.
    Cheers
    John