1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"Types" of brushes

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade/Accessories' started by Dan Morton, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    A rookie question - I've used mostly just round brushes. Anybody use flats or any of the others?

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I have used various sizes if all of the above for applying ink glazes on acrylics and for blending and removing excess oil paint. But I work in large scales.
    Dan Morton likes this.
  3. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I like Rosemary & Co filberts for doing scrub coats with oils. I find them better than flats for getting into all those nooks and crannies. I also like the angled brushes for stippling between colours to get a nice smooth blended area. But, most of the time, I stick with rounds; I probably use one brush for about 90% of my painting - W&N Series 7, size #1.
    Dan Morton likes this.
  4. Range Rat Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I tend to use rounds, when painting the Verlinden way I used the flats to pull the paint off.
    Dan Morton likes this.
  5. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

I use rounds always, less for bigs surfaces, then one like the first of your photo. And when i try to paint something with oils, to remove the excess too.
    Dan Morton likes this.
  6. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You may have answered your own question! with your picture. 'A selection of all', will cover all of your necessary requirements.

Each of the portrayed brushes have their strength and purpose, its up to you to navigate each one. Which will be dependant upon the scale of the piece on your bench.

Personally. I was a 'Flat & Rigger', man but used all types when situations arose.

Grab the lot and have done with it. :D

Regards,

Mark.
  7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Mark! Y-Not? Interesting to hear what brushes others use or use the most.

All the best,
    Dan
  8. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Then! as said, it was the Flat & Rigger, with a touch of 'Round', capped with a fine 'Mop'.

This is where, 'Kagemusha' ( Ron Clark ), highlighted the advantage of ladies, 'Make-up', brushes which can play their part.;)

Mark