1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Two more Of Phil Walden Pieces Robin Hood and Dwuard bust

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by fanai, Feb 23, 2012.

1. fanai Well-Known Member

Australia
    1st is Robin Hodd as the Tinker at archer comp andsecond is the Bust Commision he is doing

ptinkera1.jpg ptinkera2.jpg ptinkera3.jpg ptinkera4.jpg ptinkera5.jpg Here is 2 more of Phils wonderful pieces
    Edorta, assassin's, Knill22 and 3 others like this.
  2. fanai Well-Known Member

Australia
    sorry this is the dwarf pdbusta1.jpg

Attached Files:

assassin's, Karlosfandango and Guy like this.
  3. balder PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    I love the robin hood! Will this be a commercial piece?
    Gerald
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    The Old Master is at it again. Thanks Ian.
  5. fanai Well-Known Member

Australia
    Sorry about the Mess still learning new system
  6. Mark S Guest

Love both pieces, great work.
    Do I recognise the Dwarf's cap as belonging to Yuri Serebryakov's Viking Bust.
  7. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Very well sculpted. Especially the Robin Hood figure. I would like to see this commercially for sale.
  8. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Love the Robin Hood, I would really like to paint one if it was commercial.

Cheers David
  9. Einion Well-Known Member

The Robin figure looks nice. Now despite this being a fantasy or mythological subject though, I think the bow could do with being revamped.

Einion
  10. PHIL WALDEN Member

morning all,..found my way back on at last..l'm happy you like old Robin he's been fun to make, l never thought of him as a commercial work, perhaps down the track we'll do an other version..The dwarf bust hes for a cobber bits and pieces from all points around..
    Now l have a wee crumble,tweak revamped looked at etc etc..what do the mean if one can see a problem please say what the problem is then it can be fixed,.. we all can not know every thing and we all do this, me l'm no better l do it all the time..
    Einion this is not just a crack at you...l do reseach, read books etc. etc.never held a bow in all my 63 yrs. Cobber please explain what is wrong with the bow so's l can fix it..
    cheers all..Phil.
  11. Archelaos Active Member

Poland
    As all power in single-piece bow comes from naturally placed wood fibres, it should be round in cross section. It is cut from the part of a tree trunk where two different types of fibre meet, and is done in such way, that the border is in the middle, and you have compression resistant fibres inside and tension resistant on the outside. Making it flat reduces amount of fibres and with it, power of the bow
    Only composite bows could be made flat, as bowyer could control how strong it is applying different materials, in fact he can easily make it too strong to use by human and still more or less flat.
  12. Karlosfandango Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Ian I'm curious what medium have you sculpted your lovely pieces, I'm looking at trying some sculpting myself and I'm taken more notice all the time in what people are using as there sculpting medium.

The Robin Hood Bowman figure, that looks like Super Sculpey Firm or perhaps Procreate, would i be right in saying.

Your guidance would helping and usefull in my medium choices.

Thanks so much, regards Karl.
  13. renarts Active Member

United-States
  14. fanai Well-Known Member

Australia
    Karl these are not mine (unfortunately)

Phil uses Magic Sculpt or miliput - depending on what he has and doing
    Karlosfandango likes this.
  15. baronband Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Loving that Robin Hood, fantastic

Baronband
  16. Karlosfandango Active Member

United-Kingdom
  17. PHIL WALDEN Member

Hi!..folks,.Mariej, Mike, cheers this sort of response is what things are all about,..appreciate your help..
    Karl sculpting medium,..l started using milput some 25 yrs back although in the last 5yrs l switched to Magic sculpt after finding it has a smother feel..but still l use milput to bog out large areas, both dry at room tempeture,although l usually send things off under a heat lamp, witch takes around 25 mins..
    cheers guys,..phil
    Karlosfandango likes this.
  18. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I like the Robin Hood figure.

marc
  19. Karlosfandango Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Phil for your reply, very useful knowledge when one is about to take up sculpting for the very first time.
    Drawing upon as much info as I can. Books, Articles, YouTube and of course people like yourself doing it for real. Thanks Karl

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?iw1xxp
  20. Einion Well-Known Member

Length is fine (pretty much ideal for an experienced bowman) the main thing is it's a bit skinny. Here's a pic of a reenactor that gives an idea of how beefy English bows might look:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevglobal/2800778643/sizes/l/in/photostream/
    Some would be thicker than this in the centre*, some skinnier.

In addition to this the tips could have horn (or antler) nocks, as this material is much more resistant to splitting under the strain of repeated drawing. This page has photos of a modern replica piece that show the nocks well:
    http://www.greenmanlongbows.co.uk/i...w gallery/gallery 053/Gallery 053 page 01.htm

Something else you might like to consider doing for an English longbow of the period, if made from native yew it could be knotty, which apparently wasn't too uncommon:
    http://heartandsoil.blogspot.com/2011/06/my-yew-longbow-in-detail-chris-boyton.html
    More good photos of nocks in the above link.

*Something that may not be apparent from the photos, English yew bows would tend to be roughly D-section, with the rounded face towards the archer (the 'belly'), and a flatter face towards the target (the back).

Einion