1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP "Tusker"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by kagemusha, Oct 5, 2018.

1. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Certainly is an imposing piece :wideyed:
    I chose the base very carefully....especially because of the size of the piece....and the room I have in the cabinet once it's finished.
    There are other factors....such as the mounting point....it is not easy to get the right angle of entry for the post....and the post itself is 4mm brass tube with a 3.5 steel rod through it's centre for added strength....which is drilled 40mm into the bust and base....and I have kept the height between the bust and base to a minimum....to keep the stress level low.
    Digital sculpting is here to stay....although...personally....I still prefer the traditional method.

Thanks for comment Wayne.

Ron
    Nap likes this.
  2. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Thanks Steve...your input is always appreciated mate (y)
    Helm likes this.
  3. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi Ron
    I'm following your sbs as i've relented and bought myself the elephant.Looking good ,look forward to seeing it progress.
    Brian
    Helm and kagemusha like this.
  4. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Nobody sells more than the members of PF...………..
    kagemusha likes this.
  5. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Yes......I know.....always adjusting and turning, Trying to get the right visual balance....It's all part of the fun.

I hit the quote button but it didn't kick in...……..It's O.K......Just call me whatever.:)
    kagemusha likes this.
  6. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Nice to have your company mate :)

For someone of your talent it will be a joy to paint....once you get over how to handle such a large piece...there is just about every texture a painter could wish for.

Ron
    Nap likes this.
  7. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Just found this post Ron , don’t know how I missed it. Will follow with interest as I have also got this amazing bust .

Cheers David
    Nap and kagemusha like this.
  8. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi David...glad to have you following....and yes...it is an amazing piece....so much for the painter to work with.
    Personally....and unusually...the key to this piece is about bringing the elephant to life...and trying to capture the 'drama' of the whole scene...a real challenge for anyone.

With you, Brian and Del working on this, I had better up my game :whistle::LOL:

Regards

Ron
    Nap and brian like this.
  9. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    I don't think you'll have to "up your game" Ron,as what i've seen of your version,is first class
    kagemusha likes this.
  10. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Many thanks for comment Brian.....much appreciated.

I was hoping to post an update today...but...thanks to good old DPD and their lying driver...who supposedly attempted to deliver my parcel...total bullshit...I don't have the tripod for my camera that I was expecting :mad:
    Hopefully tomorrow :whistle:

Ron
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Ron

Certainly going to be avery imposing piece so far you've added a lot of life to the beast and this is certainly going to be something I will be following closely

Looking forward to updates when you can ( hope the bad situation with DPD is solved fast )

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    kagemusha likes this.
  12. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    After finally sorting the very unhelpful DPD....managed to get some pics of "Nellie"
    Rather than taking pictures of every step....which runs the risk of damaging it with extra handling....I have managed to get some with the head 98% done.
    When it comes down to the detailing...such as the eyes...mouth and tip of the trunk...it became very difficult to get the colour balance right...with so many colours in just these three areas alone.
    As an example of this...the eyes themselves have a considerable palette of their own...as shown in the picture of the colours I used...and the sketch I made to remind me where they went!

IMG_3481.jpg

Almost as many went into the mouth and the tip of the trunk.
    Once these details were layered in and given a very light glaze of W&N Liquin....they were left to dry.
    Then I worked on the metal band on the trunk and the skull cap.
    Next up was the cloth under the skull cap....and the tassels at the front of it.
    With these areas finished it was time to bring all the parts together...a daunting task!
    What you see in the following pictures is where I am at now.....

IMG_3484.jpg IMG_3485.jpg IMG_3486.jpg IMG_3487.jpg IMG_3488.jpg IMG_3489.jpg IMG_3490.jpg IMG_3491.jpg IMG_3492.jpg IMG_3495.jpg IMG_3496.jpg IMG_3497.jpg IMG_3498.jpg IMG_3499.jpg IMG_3500.jpg IMG_3504.jpg IMG_3505.jpg IMG_3506.jpg IMG_3507.jpg IMG_3508.jpg

There is some final work...the collar decoration and some hi lites...but almost there now.

to be continued.....
    arj, Richie, DEL and 3 others like this.
  13. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good grief, things have moved on. This piece is a real beauty, and you are doing it proud. The tusks caught me off guard, they seem a lot whiter than before, has anything else been added to them?. Excellent work Ron, it’s a pleasure to see your skills being shown.

Mark.
    kagemusha likes this.
  14. Helm A Fixture

England
    A real work of art, Ron top quality indeed.
    Steve
    kagemusha likes this.
  15. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom

It's the bloody pics that make the tusks look so white :mad:
    Look at the picture of the mouth and you should get a better idea of the actual colour mate.

Cheers

Ron
    Helm likes this.
  16. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Looking first class Ron.I see you've solved a problem that i had.I was never sure which way the eyes went with an animal that has it's eyes on the sides of it's head,if you know what i mean:notworthy:
    DEL, Nap and kagemusha like this.
  17. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Thank you Brian :)
    For such large beast's their eyesight is very poor....small eyes and limited range of about 25 feet with lousy peripheral vision....should have gone to 'Specsavers' :LOL:

Ron
    Nap likes this.
  18. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Always a pleasure to have your comments and input Steve....and pleased you like it so far mate (y)
  19. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    With the elephant's head nearing completion....and needing to thoroughly dry so that I can get it mounted on the base...time to make a start on the 'Mahut'.
    As with the shield...the level of detail is stunning....especially on the main torso...where the detail is exceptional on the metal armour plates...but also the texture in the clothing.
    As with the shield...making the most of all this detail is a real challenge to the painter...and...to this end I have kept the primer and undercoat down to mist coats...with a mist coat of matt sealer to give a 'tooth' for the oils to grip onto.
    As usual I have used a neutral scrub coat colour of transparent oils...which was very carefully thinned back as per my way with make up brushes and sponge sticks.

IMG_3513.jpg IMG_3514.jpg IMG_3515.jpg IMG_3516.jpg IMG_3518.jpg IMG_3521.jpg

I hope you can clearly see just how much detail there is in this piece...should be fun trying to capture it all.

to be continued......
  20. Hugo Pereira A Fixture

Portugal
    Hello my GOOD FRIEND Ron

I have one word to this work... AMMMMMAAAAZZZZIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG...

Thank you so much.
    Hug
    Hugo
    Nap and kagemusha like this.