Trying to sculpt a fox

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Wendy, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    Here will be my first attempt at sculpting anything more complicated than a log or fish. I would like to make a vignette of a scene from the Fellowship of the Ring (book, not movie) in which a fox is watching Frodo, Sam, and Pippin while sleeping on their way to Crickhollow. At the least, it won't waste much Magic Sculpt should I mess up. :lol:

So far, I've arranged the wire frame for the little guy. He's almost an inch long including the tail, 22mm to be exact.

Attached Files:

2. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    D'oh! I apologize for the awkward title. Too bad I can't change it. :eek:
    Oh well, c'est la vie....
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Can't give you any hints on sculpting but I did edit your title. If you want anything else instead.......just let me know.

Guy
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Wendy, The armature looks good so far. Keep us posted on the progress as you begin adding putty.~Gary
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I recently sculpted a border collie in 90mm. I'll tell the truth - it was a humbling experience! I can't even imagine how you'd approach this in 32mm! Interesting problem though - how to show enough detail in that size to convey the visual and tactile impression of a fox. Tail, eyes, ears - do-able, but you wouldn't be able to sculpt teeth or at least I wouldn't. I think the pose might be very important. A snarling fox turning on an enemy? A fox slinking along close to the ground stalking something? Hmmm. I'm intrigued. I look forward to seeing your WIP photos.

All the best,
    Dan
  6. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Wendy, good start, I know you can do it, looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  7. fanai Well-Known Member

Australia
  8. btavis Active Member

United-States
    I sculpted a 54mm German Shepherd for my current dio and I really enjoyed doing it. I found that the armature has to be really thin wire since the appendages are so thin. The hardest part was doing the open mouth because the dog is attacking someone. I remembered something Gordy from this site once said about sculpting. He said to sculpt what it looks like and not necessarily what it really is. So, doing dog teeth in 54mm is just that.

When I finally do post pictures of the dio you will see what I am talking about.
  9. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    batavis, I look forward to seeing the pics of your project. :)

fanai, thanks for the input. I am trying to get the proportions right, especially the long, skinny) legs. It's the head I'm relunctant to do. I just hope to do it justice.

Dan Morton, there's no way I'll even try teeth on a guy this small. :lol: This fox is just a curious little guy, standing with ears cocked.

Here is what I've done so far. I've been a bit under the weather and had some problems with the glue breaking in the armature while trying fill with putty so I gave up doing anything with the legs untill the putty hardened. It's pretty rough, and I think it looks a little like a duck billed platypus body... I have to find some more fox pics before I do more. Perhaps the neighborhood fox would be kind enough to make an appearance when I can get the camera.

Attached Files:

10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Wendy, i bet if you do an image search on GOOGLE you'll come up with more pictures than you need.~Gary
  11. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    Stuck some more Magic Sculpt on the fox. I always mix too much. The additions took a couple cubic mm of material. The leftover are now backpacks, rocks, cups, and mushrooms to go with the scene. :lol:

He's still pretty rough, and maybe a bit too stocky. I can only add a little at a time as I keep putting finger prints on everywhere else not yet dried. Still learning... so any suggestions are welcome!

It's so cool to go to the hobby store and see familiar name from PF as the sculptors! :)

Attached Files:

12. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    Right you are,Gary.I did just that and came up with a few different sites including this one:
    Fox Pix

Go Wendy!
  13. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    Here's the much anticipated ( :lol: ) update on the fox. He has a head now, but looks off balance because as of yet, he has no ears. There's still lots of stuff to do on him, like the legs. I worked on the front legs, but they look a little chunky and thick to be fox legs. I still have to decide if his tail is the right length for his body. Considering all I used was my fingers and an old brush, I guess he's not too bad...
    Any comments and critiques are welcome...I still have no idea what I'm doing...
    I don't know how you guys sculpt all those neat little weapons and faces and stuff! :eek:

I'm also working on a 120mm scale sheep, but it's still just a wire frame with blobs of putty. :lol: This should prove to be interesting to say the least...

Attached Files:

14. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Keep at it, Wendy! Looks good so far. Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh someday.

Jason
  15. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    Foxy's got ears now. Still working on the legs and feet.

If anyone would care to give their opinion, I'd appreciate it. I'm wondering specifically if the tail is long enough, and if I should add some more putty to the back end by the tail. Please comment on anything else that isn't quite right also.

Thanks,
    Wendy

Attached Files: