1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Trying to find legitimate source with copyright licence for Disney characters

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by bigfatguy, Dec 2, 2021.

1. bigfatguy New Member

United-States
    that website where you buy from Chinese factories has several vendors selling figures that are basically adult versions of Disney princesses and other cartoon characters. Some of these are very well done, and with the number of vendors selling them, it's clear that someone got ahold of a 3d-printer source file they shouldn't have.

I assume the various vendors on Etsy are doing the same thing.

I'd like to buy the figures without supporting Chi-com copyright violations... but am having trouble finding the real vendor.

I can upload pictures as examples if need be, but I assume someone here is familiar with the real mfg/vendor...

Any advice?
  2. kevininpdx Well-Known Member

United-States
  3. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Brian

Etsy and other selling sites are full of what must be illegal sellers for sure

I have slightly amended the thread title

Thanks for introducing yourself in the Welcome Aboard forum

Nap
    Forté likes this.
  5. bigfatguy New Member

United-States
    I'm actually fairly certain the model's true author doesn't have Disney's blessing... I'm differentiating here between stealing the CHARACTER and stealing the ART. :)

I didn't realize there were so many mini lines that covered "sexy" Disney stuff... I'll attach a couple of photos of the figures I'm discussing for reference.

All are sold as resin miniatures (so, 3d-printed), unassembled and unpainted. I'm using their "we keep a genius level painter on hand in the back office" photos.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  6. Banjer A Fixture

England
    I have to ask why any one would want these, legitimate or not.

Bill
    Billy Dickinson, housecarl and Airkid like this.
  7. bigfatguy New Member

United-States
    Appreciate the help..
  8. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
  9. kevininpdx Well-Known Member

United-States
    To each his own. I’m not going to criticize. Sexy vixen and IP infringement used to be a fairly large part of the hobby. A lot of the major manufacturers did it. Seems dead these days and I don’t think there is a legitimate source for such things. I have a daughter so it would be poor taste for me to have a mini of a nude on display:).
    theBaron and Babelfish like this.
  10. Forté A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Not a single one of those along with the majority of 3D sculpts and items on Etsy have any IP agreements at all. Not just the stuff from China or Russia.

Most major film studios don't really think of item like these being bankable which is where the whole garage kit thing really came from. Small quantities (rarely more than 50) of fan art. But it wouldn't surprise me if they start to take an interest with how easy digital files are to spread around.
    Babelfish and Nap like this.
  11. bigfatguy New Member

United-States
    Ah well... I guess it's disreputable turtles all the way down. :-(

Thanks... at least I know the guys doing the printing aren't ripping off an honest business. :)
  12. Forté A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Depends on how they got the STL file. If it was a torrent or bought on a personal use agreement then yes, they are ripping off the original creator. If it was bought from the creator with a print to sell agreement then they're all good.
  13. bigfatguy New Member

United-States
    True enough... I did manage to find the artist in question, BTW... most of his stuff is just amusingly trashy and over-sexed, but he's got one of Cinderella running down the stairs just as the clock strikes midnight that's actually fairly well done, and is actually drawn from the story.

Link to his page follows if anyone is interested. I have no financial relationship with the man, just providing it for completeness.

https://www.exclusive3dprint.com/