1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Trying my hand at 1/72

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by ausf, Jan 28, 2020.

1. ausf Active Member

United-States
    Been away from the bench for a long spell, jumping back in with a new (to me) clay and subject.

This is a 1/72 U boat crewman. He'll be in oil skins getting hammered by wave. Just roughing out the face at this point.

I had to make a new set of tools out of music wire.

Using Beesputty summer. The caliper jaw in the first pic is open to 2mm for reference.

sculpt1.jpg sculpt2.jpg
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there

Good to have you back at the bench

1/72nd ...that's small indeed

Nice start ....what's your thoughts on the new putty ?

Do show us the tools you've made

Thanks for sharing

Look forward to more updates

Happy sculpting

Nap
  3. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Good grief man, that’s impressive for 1/72! Is he for a Revell U-boat?
  4. ausf Active Member

United-States
    Thanks guys.

Nap,

I'll try to get some good photos of the tools, the tips are pretty small, not sure how they'll photograph.

So far I like the Beesputty. I bought it last year, but didn't try it until now. I needed to condition it, but it's nice and waxy so it doesn't stick to tools. I normally work in Aves or Monster Clay, this is like a hybrid of the two in terms of handling. I haven't baked the stuff yet, I haven't really used any polymer clays yet, so there will be a bit of learning curve I guess.

Chris,

Yep, it's the Revell U-boat, sort of. I sculpted it into waves and cast it in clear resin. Heres the first test, using old silicone leftevers so the mold is distorted, but I was just working out the concept. I am aiming for a crest large wave with the sun illuminating it from behind. It's too light, but the concept works, I'll resculpt so spots and properly cast it next time. You can see the distortion of the mold on the edge of the Uboat. That seam was so thin that the resin leaked behind it, between the silicone and the mothermold, causing the deformation.

z2.jpg

And the original sculpt in Monster Clay:

z3.jpg
  5. ausf Active Member

United-States
    Here are the tools Nap.

Music wire embedded in old brush handles.

sculpt3.jpg
    gazer, gothicgeek and KenBoyle like this.
  6. captfue Active Member

United-States
    Great figure, can't wait to see the finished work.