1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

trumpeter-us armoured troops

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by mcsneed17, Jan 31, 2010.

1. mcsneed17 Member

first i found a photo on the front page from the new york times two weeks ago but it is of us marines i would like to know if i can use these troops of these two figures and the second half of the question is what colors do i use because i will be acrylics ? ps sorry that i can not show the photo because i do not have a scanner. thank you marc yablon.
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
  3. HiroshiAirborne Active Member

United-States
    The US Marines uniform in desert consists of three colors. The base of the uniform is light tan, with digital blots of medium tan and medium brown. I'd go with a light brown for a combat troop since the sun and sand bleach the uniform. The knees and elbows are practically beige after about two months.

The IBA, or vest, needs to be a NATO brown, NO CAMO. Weather a bit lighter since they too bleach in the sun. Vest shells are made of Cordura Nylon and do not bleach or fade as fast as the pants, something to note.

Boots need to be light to medium olive-drab. The Marines got a contract for OD Boots, blends in better than the Air Force Sage Green or the Army Tan.

Most pouches and misc. gear will be NATO brown no camo.

Anything else you want to know? Good luck on your figures.

- Hiroshi
  4. mcsneed17 Member

what is nato brown?
  5. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    NATO brown is a certain shade of brown.....

you can normally find some lines of paint with certain shades labeled as such,

examples include Luftwaffe Greys and Greens (various shades) Panzer yellows,brown and greens, and so on.

Do you use a certain paint brand yet, or just a bit of everything?

Cheers
  6. mcsneed17 Member

which brand of paint?
  7. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    As in, Tamiya, Vallejo, Humbrol, etc......

Another thing, it may be easier to start with acrylic paints, which wash up with water, and are comparatively non toxic....

cheers
  8. HiroshiAirborne Active Member

United-States
    Sorry for such a late reply.
    I would recommend using Tamiya's NATO Brown (XF-68) for Acrylics.