1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Trumpeter 1/16 Soviet Tank Crewman

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Peter Day, May 10, 2021.

1. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Steve - Such a conversation re etch sure would have started a row 'elsewhere'. I completely understand the appeal, it's just not for me, and it appears that a lot of figure painters feel the same. As for the real artists, I sure am learning a lot seeing the incredible work on this site, not least how far I have to go.

Nap - Glad you like the face, an area I'm keen to improve on generally. The moderation here is perfect - not intrusive, just keeping a quiet eye on things, though the membership do seem to be a gentlemanly/ladylike lot.

As for collections, African art, prehistoric flint tools, studio pottery, Far Eastern antiques anyone? A couple of tasters:

101_0163.JPG

A corner of the living room. It's not something I do actively now as the prices have got ridiculous, but there can still be the lucky car boot find. This stuff however is free:

101_0164.JPG

A neolithic axe head and palaeolithic hand axe (separated by at least 200,000 years) picked up on local farmland. My passion.
    Nap and KenBoyle like this.
  2. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    My name is Henk, and I'm a Photoetch user...

In my other passion (armour models etc), the use of photoetch is often a big improvement on plastic moulded details, and I can use lots of it. There, I said it. Lol
    In armour modeling its a big marmite issue, and one in which I firmly sit on the fence. I love a good model, with lots of intricate detail. I also love a 'shake and bake' where the builder has had the enjoyment and satisfaction of building a nice model.
    I agree with the concensus here though, on figures it seems an unnecessary added fav.

Anyway, back to the main event. ;-D
    Nap and Merryweather like this.
  3. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Just a purely personal point of view on my part Henk. I hope I didn't offend you.
  4. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Goodness no Peter. Its all in good humor. Like you said, here we can have a good natured chat about it. There are other sites however... lol.
    Nap likes this.
  5. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Henk - Just checking!

This is what he looks like now:

101_0175.JPG 101_0177.JPG 101_0179.JPG 101_0181.JPG

The jacket was painted with mixes of Vallejo Matt Black, Military Blue and Basalt Grey, the last being used for the brightest highlights.
  6. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very good. He bears an uncanny resemblance to a friend of mine..
  7. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Henk. Always a good sign.
  8. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Looks very nice Peter! I'm a little late to the party, but I'll use anything on a figure to improve it, if it seems necessary. However, my skill set doesn't handle photo etch very well so I seldom go there. I should learn the techniques but, as has been said, it's not that typical for figures. That said, I do stand in awe when I see a WWII naval ship model detailed with photo etch parts.

Cheers,
    Ken
  9. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    He looks very fresh-faced and youthful. Lovely job, and I can live with his chunky charm....
  10. Stephen Hutchinson PlanetFigure Supporter

Morning Peter

Super work on the drapery, nice colour palette too.

Looks like our very healthy tanker is close to finishing.

Have fun choosing your next victim

Regards

Steve H
  11. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Peter!

Your painting rythme are astonish and the quality are always top notch. Superb fleshtones!

Cheers,
    Pedro.
  12. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Ken - Each yo his own I guess and I have actually used three pieces of etch on this one (on the gun).

Neil - He's a strapping lad.

Steve - He's finished - see below. Perhaps another Derek Holmes Verlinden 1.6 bust net.......

Pedro - Many thanks.
    KenBoyle likes this.
  13. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Earwigo then:

101_0192.JPG 101_0194.JPG 101_0195.JPG 101_0201.JPG 101_0202.JPG

The first new bit of work was to give the jacket a coat of thinned satin varnish. I'm always quite wary of doing so, as the result can cause some confusion of the shading, but in this case I'm glad I did as the light just nicely picks up a soft sheen. Then it was on to the holster, helmet ((two attempts), hands and PPsH. The latter was given a paper and etch (!) strap, and a stretched sprue cigarette was placed in his right hand.

A really enjoyable build and I'm tempted to try another in the series even though they're not as good. We'll see....
    Henk, Nap, dmcHobbes and 7 others like this.
  14. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I saw the start of this a couple of days ago and thought I would see how it was going and to no surprise you have already finished it :D
    Lovely job on this one Peter.
    Cheers
    Steve
  15. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Another excellent figure Peter! :)(y)

Cheers,
    Ken
  16. Fransab Active Member

Spain
    Beautiful and excellent job Peter, as the previous that you've shared here?.
    How long does it take to you for painting a figure?, as curiosity. I'm really impressed.

Cheers,

Francisco
  17. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Steve - Many thanks. It was quite a simple figure to paint.

Ken - Very glad that you like him. Thanks.

Francisco - Many thanks also. This one took about 18 hours, spread over four days. I can get bored very quickly with a figure, so I like to get them finished before that happens.
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    Only you Henk .....LOL

Nap
  19. Nap Moderator

England
    Peter

What a interesting collection of masks , they certainly are impressive and no doubt mean much to the tribes using them

As for the figure ....nice resuit as I thought , nice colours you've used on him ....I know what you mean about varnish !

Hope this isn't your last from the series

Happy collecting and benchtine

Nap
  20. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent work, as always... I cannot believe how fast you work and still get the results you do.. and find the time to share your work with the rest of us... Amazing..
    Nap likes this.