1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Trumpeter 1/16 Soviet Tank Crewman

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Peter Day, May 10, 2021.

1. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    101_0157.JPG

The next in my unpopular/derided figure series. I've made the four figures in this series before, but I thought I'd have another go at this one, which is by far the best.

The box contents:

101_0154.JPG 101_0155.JPG 101_0156.JPG

The figure is robustly sculpted ('chunky charm' is a phrase that comes to mind) and as far as I can remember goes together very well. All of the details on the PPsH submachine gun can be replaced by etch, though that seems like a pretty pointless exercise unless you enjoy that sort of thing (confirmed etch hater here). I like the instructions for making a cigarette and cigarette packet.
    Jed, pmfs, KenBoyle and 4 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Peter

Looks a okay figure ..like your phrase "chunky charm" , never can get my head and fingers around PE as well ...alien to me !

Is the series unpopular due to build quality ?

Look forward to seeing this progress on the bench

Happy benchtime

Nap
  3. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I agree Peter, this guy is definitely the pick of the bunch. I have him (unstarted) in the stash to go with a Trumpeter 1/16 T-34 (also unstarted), so I look forward to seeing what you do with him.

Oh and I feel the same about etch as you do (it has its place for large flat pieces like engine grilles, but otherwise it's way more trouble than it's worth most of the time).

- Steve
  4. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Nap - 'Chunky charm' is something I picked up from a book on African sculpture (I'm a collector). The build quality is fine, it'sthe sculpts on some of the others in the series that let them down - real he-men with huge shoulders and dodgy faces.

Steve - To my eye these seem a bit over-scale for 1/16, but as long as you don't try to use figures by other manufacturers with them they should look OK.

He's ready for paint:

101_0158.JPG

The fit of parts was reasonably good, though some filling was required. The moulding was very clean. The kit hands look like bunches of bananas so I've swapped them for a Dragon pair. The only piece of etch I've used on the gun was the end plate for the stock.
    Jed, mamelon, Nap and 4 others like this.
  5. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    My adage is that life is too short for photoetch! On the (very) rare occasion I venture into glueing plastic, it goes straight in the bin....(y)
    KenBoyle, 1969 and Babelfish like this.
  6. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Steve - You won't believe what a relief it is to have joined a site with like-minded people re etch. On the other sites I've belonged to, no build was complete without a ton of the stuff (and figures weren't considered 'modelling' either).

The head and shoulders are done on this chap:

101_0159.JPG 101_0160.JPG

A very nice head to paint, with well-defined features that were easy to get at.
    Steve Brodie, Jed, KenBoyle and 8 others like this.
  7. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
  8. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Steve.

A bit more refining done to the face:

101_0162.JPG
  9. Marcin Morawski A Fixture

Poland
  10. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very impressive start Peter. I like a lot of these plastic figures, some of the Dragon and Tamiya figures give more expensive resin a decent run for the money. Looking forward to your progress.
  11. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Slight meander off thread topic: Around 2013 I started a Hobby Boss 1/35 EBR-10 (post-war French 8-wheel armoured car). The build was going well until I reached the point where they would have you add rows of photo-etch bolt heads (each literally about half the size of a pin head) to the hull in perfect straight lines. A fool's errand if ever there was one, at which point I lost all interest in the project, put it back in its box and 8 years later it's still gathering dust.

That kind of nonsense is what I call "etch for the sake of etch". It would've been just as easy, equally effective, and far easier for all concerned to simply mould the bolt heads integral with the hull. As Steve Valiant says, life's way too short for that shit.

Back on topic: Great start. Face looks very nicely done.

- Steve
  12. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Marcin - Very many thanks.

Henk - Thanks also. Absolutely true regards some plastic figures versus resin. I've just abandoned a resin figure that was way below par, and this one has more than compensated for the disappointment.

Steve - Truly sacreligious words - you've earned yourself a banning for life from certain other sites. I do agree about the rivet thing- just don't get it, though I'm sure that those who indulge could write volumes in justification - something we mere figure painters will never understand, not being true modellers (you can tell I've smarted ever since it was first said to me).
    Babelfish likes this.
  13. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I don't think I have ever seen a painted version of this figure Peter, coming along nicely.
    Have to also agree regarding photo-etch, it doesn't have a place in my life, but then again as I do figures and not being a "real modeller":rolleyes: I suppose it doesn't really matter.
    Cheers
    Steve
  14. misfit151 A Fixture

Cracking start Peter.....looking forward to more..(y). Mike
  15. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Guess who just inexplicably tracked down a 1/16 scale Dragon "British Airborne Arnhem 44"...

Which he didn't need...
    Blind Pew likes this.
  16. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Steve - I once made up a diorama using all four figures in the series, but the other three are nowhere as good as this one, and I wouldn't be tempted to do them again.

Mike - Many thanks for looking in.

Henk - Go for it! The British para is not really the best Dragon, but I've seen some nice versions made from the kit.
    KenBoyle likes this.
  17. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It may not be the best, but its a British Para.. and I did this one about 14-15 years ago.. I'm going to use it in a small (well, for 1/16 scale anyway..) vignette with some other figures
  18. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Sounds good Henk.
  19. Stephen Hutchinson PlanetFigure Supporter

Morning Peter

Lovely work on the "stock" head and it hasn't been binned, it must be good!

As for the PE/modelling dilemma?

Such a discussion, I was waiting for a Mod to jump in a ban everyone! LOL

I guess I know the what, where and who and am the bridge betwixt the two!

My personal perspective, I love the "engineering" of PE and soldering which suits my skill set.

I recreated a whole 6 sets of Aber PE with Thoma shields for a T34/85 as per Adam Wilder's PE DVD, and loved every minute of the micro soldering.

I want to paint more but am not at all confident in my "artistic" side, at all.

I have a Galland bust on my desk with just the eyes done, but a layer of dust on my brushes as I the lost the brief battle with my painting mojo.

I hope that following the real artists, something might rub off/inspire me to get the paint brushes wet again!

Here's hoping!

Looks like a great start and African sculpture?

You are a dark horse Peter!

Have a good day with the paints

Regards

Steve H
  20. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Peter

That face has painted well ....said it before but will again , I really like your fleshwork ...nice to see

African sculptures sounds a interesting area to collect and learn about

Steve H

"As for the PE/modelling dilemma?

Such a discussion, I was waiting for a Mod to jump in a ban everyone! LOL"

No jumping from me ....I look lousy in shorts ! .....I say use PE if you want ...I have had PE medals on busts ...just didn't look right ..binned them and sculpted !

Look forward to seeing any painting when your ready

Happy benchtime

Nap
    KenBoyle likes this.