1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Trumpeter 1/16 Soviet Officer

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Peter Day, May 30, 2021.

1. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    101_0298.JPG

More plastic therapy, and another in Trumpeter's 1/16 Soviet series, this time a field officer.

I've made a start:

101_0295.JPG

Another chunky chap, so chunky in fact that I had to take about 3mm off each shoulder at the top of the arms. The fit was very good and the clean-up at the minimal end for a plastic kit. The head is supplied bare-headed with the option of a peaked cap, but as I didn't like the shape of the latter I've given him a ushanka, adapted from a Dragon German peaked fur cap.

The rest of the parts:

101_0299.JPG

You'll see that I've managed to lose one of the hands - hopefully the carpet monster hasn't got it. The PPsH (no etch used this time!!!!), and the holster came with the kit, and to them I've added a map case, ammo pouch and binoculars from the spares box.
    Jed, 1969, Blind Pew and 10 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Peter

Good choice for some TT there , like the change in headwear and making him less of a chunky chap

Look forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  3. Marcin Morawski A Fixture

Poland
    Stunning. As always.
  4. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good start Peter, looking forward to see you bringing another one of these somewhat bland figures to life.
    Oda and Babelfish like this.
  5. Sgt. Red Active Member

Nice figure and painting...
    Oda likes this.
  6. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Bit of a camp pose on this one, but I'm sure you'll knock it out of the park as usual Peter.

- Steve
    Oda likes this.
  7. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for looking in and taking the time to comment chaps. He does look like he's having a little dance doesn't he?
    Oda likes this.
  8. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    It's good that you didn't put the Furashka peaked cap on him, because it's completely wrong!

This is what it had to look like - the version for tankers...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

The officers Ushanka fur hat should actually have a red star ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]
    The star can also be green (painted over) on both hats - that often happened ...

[IMG]

Cheers
  9. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Martin. I was intending to add the red star.
    Martin Rohmann and Oda like this.
  10. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
  11. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Super stuff. An advantage of that material is that it can relatively easily be re-worked.
  12. Stephen Hutchinson PlanetFigure Supporter

Morning Peter

Another great start on Billy Bunter, must be a Commissar, with access to all those extra rations for the special few?

Hopefully he will get a hand up from a willing transplant victim in the spares box.

Have fun with the drapery today, it does look like there will be lots to do with the XXL uniform

Have a good day with the hot weather and a big pot of of Russian uniform paint too

Regards

Steve H
  13. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Mr B - Thanks.

BP - I'm getting better results with plastic these days. The front flap of the cap was made from Milliput - another fave.

Steve - I found the hand in the spares box, though I also found a better one holding a cigarette which I'll probably use. I had my second Covid jab yesterday and have had a pretty severe reaction - fever, headache, joint pain, general wobbliness - so not sure if I will do any painting today. Nice weather though.
    Blind Pew likes this.
  14. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    The tunic:

101_0301.JPG 101_0303.JPG 101_0302.JPG

Painted with a mixture of Vallejo Russian Uniform and Camo Olive Green, with Camo Black Brown and White added for the shading. I felt that the shoulder boards supplied looked too chunky, so I removed them and replaced them with a pair made from plastic card.
    m@rp, MCPWilk, Andrew Belsey and 5 others like this.
  15. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Another great effort, Peter - like the fur effect you've achieved on the ushanka, & the restrained shading on the tunic.
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Peter

Good highs on the tunic , headwear looks good with the star ( good refs from Martin ...never realised they painted green )

Look forward to more on this when you can

Hope you feel better very soon

Happy benchtime

Nap
  17. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Chris - Thanks.

Nap - Thanks also. Much better now thanks - the effects of the second Covid jab lasted about fourteen hours - very nasty.

He's finished:

101_0305.JPG 101_0306.JPG 101_0307.JPG 101_0308.JPG

I decided to give him cavalry blue trousers to try and liven up the colour scheme. Once they were painted there was just the few bits of equipment to do, the hands and the various straps.
  18. misfit151 A Fixture

Hi Peter been following this one and looking forward to the finish which has not disappointed...(y) fabulous result ...Mike
  19. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice Peter, the Blue trousers look good, a good choice.
  20. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looks great