1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Trooper Frontier Light Horse

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Richie, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    Whilst waiting for the putty to dry on my other project I have decided to start this. This is going to depict a Trooper of the Frontier Light Horse wounded and retreating from the disasterous battle of Hlobane during the Zulu War.

Background to the Frontier Light Horse.

Raised by Lieutenant Frederick Carrington of the 24th regt. in the Cape Colony in 1877. Their strength during the Zulu War was just over 200 men. The FLH drew their recruits mainly from Kingwilliamstown district of the Eastern Cape.
    Rates of pay for European mounted irregulars were good, a trooper receiving five shillings per day with no deductions compared to a British soldier receiving one shilling per day.
    In April 1878 the command of the FLH passed to Major Redvers Buller of the 60th rifles. The FLH horse acting as rearguard fought at Hlobane and lost almost 20 percent of the 156 men engaged. They also lost their commanding officer Captain Barton of the Coldstream Guards. A month later the FLH was commanded by Captain D’Arcy. They also fought at Khambula and Ulundi
    The FLH won two Victoria crosses, Captain D’Arcy and Sgt. O’Toole for their actions during a reconnaissance patrol on the day before the battle of Ulundi.

Frontier Light Horse1.jpg Frontier Light Horse.gif

I am converting this 120mm figure from The Lost Battalion.
    CIMG6218.JPG
    When I saw this figure I immediately saw the battle of Hlobane and an assegai replacing the arrow.
    The casting on a few of the parts is rough but nothing I can't fix with a bit of effort.
    CIMG6219.JPG

Basically I'm going to add a pugaree to the hat, grind down the collar and alter and add a red neckerchief. I need to remove the buttons and add the braiding to the troopers jacket. I need to remove the Sgt. stripes from both arms and make the cross belt into a bandolier. The top of the boots need to altered and reshaped as does the belt buckle.
    I also need to open the jacket slightly for the asseagai stabbing spear which is scratch built.

CIMG6220.JPG CIMG6221.JPG

cheers
    Richie
    ChaosCossack, crf and billyturnip like this.
  2. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I leave you alone for 5 minutes.......and your off on another one.....doh! :hilarious:

Cool choice though mate.

Cheers

Ron
    Richie likes this.
  3. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ron,
    Thanks, I think I'll have that emulsion off you:hilarious: some how I think I'm going to need it.
    cheers
    Richie
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I like it! Good to see someone else that spreads himself so thin. :happy:

All the best,
    Dan
  5. Kevin D. Well-Known Member

United-States
    VERY VERY VERY COOL choice!!!

I wish I had half that kind of imagination!! You Go Richie!! I will be watching this with envy for certain!!

Kevin
  6. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Dan,
    Crickey Dan, thin, I'm almost see through at the minute. Must get emulsion off Ron and get some painted and finished.

Hi Kevin,
    Thanks for looking in mate, glad you like the choice of project, the Colonial units are very much under represented and I certainly want to make some more in the not too distant future.
    Unfortunately I only have the imagination for Zulu war related pieces. Will post again when I make some progress.

cheers
    Richie
  7. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    God I don't know where you get the time to do so many projects,I can't keep up mate,this looks good,I like the original sculpt and pose,look forward to seeing this progress as well :)
  8. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Brian,
    Don't worry mate I'm having trouble keeping up myself:wacky:, but it stops me getting bored. Not too bad time wise Brian I think it has taken me about 8 hours to get it to the stage below.
    cheers
    Richie

Hi All,
    Here's a small update to the Trooper. I have altered the collar and resculpted so it looks like he has a neckerchief round the collar as in the above picture. I have added a pugaree to the hat and the rough braid to the jacket, this will need trimming and sanding back a bit for the final result. I removed the Sgt. stripes from both arms and have attached both arms. I needed to fix the righthand glove as the casting was awful, also a few more areas to fix and no doubt even more when undercoated.
    I've chopped the boots and thinned the boot wall thickness at the top. I was lucky because Roger give me a pile of old M.M.M. on Friday and when skipping through these I found a nice little SBS on how to make a bandolier.
    Basically I cut lengths of solder wire to size and glued these down along the cross belt to represent bullets, I cut a piece of lead foil to size and glued this down over the the bullets folding in between with a cocktail stick, quite simple but effective.
    Once the putty has dried I can sort out the braid and then attach the legs to the body, this then will be more or less ready for priming, other than sorting out the accessories of pouches, holster, a carbine, bowie knife etc. I will certainly leave the hat until last to attach so it's easier for painting
    cheers
    Richie

CIMG6222.JPG CIMG6223.JPG CIMG6224.JPG CIMG6225.JPG CIMG6226.JPG CIMG6227.JPG CIMG6228.JPG CIMG6231.JPG CIMG6232.JPG
    Don, Mark S, mil-mart and 1 other person like this.
  9. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Coming along nicely Richie and that was a stroke of luck with the mags, glad I didn't just bin them now.

Roger.
  10. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Roger,
    Yes mate very fortunate, helped out no end and they getting passed on again.
    cheers
    Richie
  11. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    I have managed to get this to the primer stage, although there are still a few bits to fix from the quality of the casting. I have decided to add a pouch to the rear of the bandolier and tagged on the accessories.Next the brushes!
    Thanks you for the support so far.
    cheers
    Richie

CIMG6234.JPG CIMG6236.JPG CIMG6237.JPG CIMG6242.JPG CIMG6235.JPG CIMG6240.JPG CIMG6241.JPG

Attached Files:

ChaosCossack and billyturnip like this.
  12. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Great! get painting, it's not too hot now. :playful:

Roger.
  13. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Can't Ron has not sent the emulsion:hilarious:
    billyturnip likes this.
  14. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    It really amazes me how you fly through these conversions. I really like this one in particular... lots of action!
    Look forward to seeing some colour develope on this piece.

Will be following closely

Colin
  15. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Richie you certainly have an eye for picking the right figures to convert, great work and looking forward to seeing some paint on this .

Cheers Ken
  16. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Colin,
    I'm trying to knock them out while you are incapacitated so you don't get bored mate, you know what they say about idle hands:happy:
    Hope things are getting for you mate
    cheers
    Richie

Hi Ken,
    Thanks for looking mate and the kind words, someone has to knock Zulu figures out Ken......HINT, HINT again:hilarious:. I will see if I can get a start with the brushes this weekend.
    cheers
    Richie
  17. billyturnip A Fixture

England
  18. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Yes, but he's had your mallet on them:hilarious:
    mil-mart likes this.
  19. billyturnip A Fixture

England

Just needs inflating with.... monkey pump web resized.jpg
    Richie likes this.
  20. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Richie,
    Just arrived back home; doing a bit of catching up and BANG you come up with a new all but complete conversion.
    This is a real corker Mate, loads of action again.
    What a brilliant original casting to work on and and really inspirational finished subject.
    Always fantastic work Mate.
    Cheers,
    Keith