1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Trooper 1st Virginian Cavalry Bust By Beginner Krom1415

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by krom1415, Sep 25, 2012.

1. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi all,
    Great to meet some of you at Euro Militaire, appologies for not talking much, I was shaking for two days with excitment, and still am.( I think I was transported into a 11 year old child going into my local model shop, buying my first 25mm lead napoleonic figures, )
    I met some great chaps on the SK miniatures stand, and mentioned Planet Figure and had a quick chat with one fella whom I have forgotten his name but was very helpfull, and a fine Scotsman ( who reminded me of an army buddy I had, way back. ) also spoke to two other Scots, regarding the new Pegaso Mounted Indian figure, not sure if they where on here too.
    Anyway finally chose this bust to try and learn to paint a largescale figure. I usually paint small scale figures, but as my eyes are getting older, I need to get into the larger scales, and also work on my technique.

That said, my first question is should I drill a hole and screw the bust to the base for strength whilst painting it?
    Also how far do I take the preparation work to, on this resin figure?
    Is vallejo surface primer strong enough for this type of figure?
    [IMG]
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    As I bought this bust to, and not started it yet I hope you can do something with my advice.
    As Carl's bust's don't have much cleanup you should inspect it for all the mould lines. With a X-acto you can carf them away, and with some very fine sandpaper smooth it.
    I always drill a hole in the bust and put in a 4 mm brass rod. I use this later for fasten it on the base. As far as the painting proces goes, i use it into a holder.
    I all do the subassemblies cleaning and preparing for painting. I glue as much as I can, because I always reuin the paint when glueing it afterwards.
    I use a automotive primer for the whole bust before I undercoat with vallejo acrylic.

Marc
    krom1415 likes this.
  3. Einion Well-Known Member

Just related to this, do you use a vision aid?

Lots of us who are getting older rely on something! Past a certain point this can literally make the difference between still being able to work at a small scale (say 1/32 and below) and only being able to work on 75s and above.

Cheapest option is a pair of off-the-peg reading glasses (periodically available from Aldi, but you can get them in lots of budget shops now, Boots too if you want a more expensive one). Only a little additional magnification helps a lot but I'd recommend +3 or +3.5.

I'd always drill for a pin or rod for permanent mounting when the painting is finished so I just mount this into some kind of handle, these days that's usually one of my homemade hand clamps.

But just a pin vice can do in a pinch, although they're a bit small for larger stuff; for a more comfortable grip on something bigger and heavier just a short length of curtain rail/broom handle with a hole drilled in the top can work a treat.

Not sure what you mean? You do as much or as little prep as you want - some people will refine details and texture parts, others will just do basic cleanup (any mould lines etc.) and then reach for the primer.

It's strong enough for any job if it bonds well to the material, and as long as you don't rub against the surface too much during work, but it's by no means the toughest primer you can get.

Long term, auto primers are your best bet - cheap and strong.

Einion
    krom1415 likes this.
  4. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Megroot and Einion.
    I've got an optivisor, and have worn glasses for ages as I'm short sighted, but I'm noticing if I take my glasses off there not as good as they were, which used to magnify naturally. I think i need bifocals now :(
    I'll pin as you have said, as I don't want to touch the figure, and try to do a decent paint job. This is my experiment piece.
    For the gaps and bits, I was going to try miliput, watered down then sand to a fine finish, something I've not really done much of on 28mm figures. Hope thats ok.
    As for primer I do have some halford grey primer, which i will try first then maybe some vallejo to see where the highlights go.
  5. Helm A Fixture

England
    I use Halfords grey all the time just make sure it's really well shook and it goes on a treat a few folks warm it in hot water for 5 mins or so and say it goes on smoother. I can't tell the difference myself maybe I need a better optivisor :ROFLMAO:

Steve
    krom1415 likes this.
  6. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    Tarracus likes this.
  7. Helm A Fixture

England
    That saddle would need a leather cover over the exposed wood like this [IMG]

Steve
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Steve,
    Carl sculpted it without a saddledeck, look at the pictures of the bust. Should we cover it, or is it something else???

Marc
  9. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    Great photo Helm, I'm thinking of painting the sadle as sculpted Megroot, I've seen a couple of re enactors riding with the wood showing.
    [IMG]
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    This picture is awesome.
    Thanks

Marc
  11. Helm A Fixture

England
    Oh my bad I hadn't noticed it was sculpted like that sorry :facepalm:

Steve
  12. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    No worries Helm, I'm just trying to get all the info before I attempt to paint him.
    Megroot, I thought it would help you in painting your bust too:)
  13. Helm A Fixture

England
    Mrs Helm being my authority on all things horsey says sooner them than her riding on bare wood like that! :eek:

Steve
  14. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    Haha, the wife and I have been thinking that too, maybe its why there always galloping standing up in the stirrups on the films.
    Helm likes this.
  15. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    Well, I've filled what I thought was the rough bits, sanded and primed and here's the result. I'm not happy at all with the rough looking finish. Any tips on how to smooth it all out would be appreciated. I will wait 24hrs for the primer to completely harden and try sanding again.
    [IMG]
  16. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I cannot see anything rough on this pictures.
    For me it looks very good, and I should start painting at this stage.

Marc
  17. Einion Well-Known Member

I can't see in the photo but do you mean a fine pebbly texture from primer? Or just the irregular surface on the model itself?

Einion
  18. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Einion, the primer is great, I'm just not used to this scale I think as the surface is very rough, it looks as if the sculpting hasn't been finish off in some places, but thats probably me being used to smooth plastic figures.
    Anyway I've rubbed down again and its looking alot better.
    I'm also wondering how to approach the painting as the folds in his facial hair/skin are so deep, its just I'm not used to this scale I think,. I'm going to go to historex and see what 75mm scale figures they have and look at the casts, lol. I'm so lazy:)
  19. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looks to me like it's gagging for paint.
    Let the fun begin,
    Carl.(y)
  20. Don Well-Known Member

Krom once you have sprayed it with Halfords Grey, give it a very light spray from above using Halfords white primer ( other primers are available). this will highlight the areas where the highlights will be. Trust me it works but just a light spray.

Don
    Dennis likes this.