1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Troop 54 Officer, Green Howard’s, Mons,1914.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Cannonball, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Have to agree, the khaki is looking top notch. Excellent painting.
    Lovely figure.
    Cannonball likes this.
  2. SUPER ANTO Well-Known Member

Spain
    Fantastic work paint.....awaiting more updates!!!!!
    :):)
    Cannonball likes this.
  3. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks SUPER ANTO.

Neal
  4. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Just found this one under the tree today. I agree with everything said about the kit. It is a real cracker. I really like Neal's version, especially the khaki shading.
    Cannonball and Chris Oldfield like this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Neal

Hope we see some more updates on this figure ..or have I missed the completed piece ?

Look forward to your version of this as well

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Cannonball and Chris Oldfield like this.
  6. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Agreed re above comments, it really is a lovely kit & everything fits together beautifully. Hoping to see more of this one soon, Neal.
    Just as an aside, I found a 1970s-printed guide to The Green Howards museum on a certain internet auction site, so I bought it & there's an interesting story concerning the painting from which this figure was taken......

The painting hangs in the museum & depicts troops of 2nd Green Howards at the Menin crossroads in October 1914. Approximately 30 figures are shown, the subaltern who is the subject of this kit being roughly in the centre of the canvas. During the First World War all the soldiers shown in the painting were killed, save one. He is shown in the bottom right-hand corner carrying a wounded man on his back, & his name was Private Henry Tandy. Tandy went on to survive the war, & was awarded the Victoria Cross, Distinguished Conduct Medal & Military Medal for bravery in the field. But that's not all......

Henry Tandy came face to face with Corporal Adolf Hitler later in the war (who was unarmed at the time), & had the opportunity to shoot him, but spared Hitler's life & let him go. When Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain visited Hitler at his Berchtesgarten home in 1938 in his attempt to persuade Hitler to change his aggressive foreign policy & avoid WW2, Hitler took Chamberlain into his study, where allegedly he had a reproduction of the Green Howards painting hanging on a wall.

The story goes on to say that Hitler pointed out Henry Tandy to Chamberlain in the painting, & allegedly asked Chamberlain to convey his thanks to Tandy's family for sparing his life during the Great War. Fact or fiction? Who knows, but it's an incredible story. Tandy could quite possibly have become the man who prevented World War 2, had he acted differently.

Just a little footnote to this lovely figure from Troop 54, which has relevance to its backstory.
    Best Wishes to all for 2020!
    Cannonball likes this.
  7. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks clrsgt. Looking forward to seeing your version when you get chance to tackle him.

Neal
  8. Cannonball A Fixture

No Nap, you’ve not missed anything. He’s taken a bit of a back seat whilst tackling other bits and pieces but hope to get round to finishing him off soon. I’ll post some more pics when he’s finished.

Neal.
    Nap likes this.
  9. Cannonball A Fixture

Hope to post some finished pictures soon Chris. As for the extra info, what an amazing story. I had no idea that the figures in the painting represented individuals who were actually there as opposed to “generic “ figures so to speak. It’s a sobering thought highlighting the massive losses that only one of those depicted actually survived.

Neal
    Chris Oldfield and Nap like this.