1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Troop 54 Officer, Green Howard’s, Mons,1914.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Cannonball, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Cannonball A Fixture

After working on a couple of Napoleonic pieces recently I’ve moved the goalposts and started on something a little more drab in colour. This is my take on Troop 54’s recent 75mm release of an Officer of the Green Howard’s at Mons in 1914. It is a cracking figure with minimal clean up required and a super pose, leaning just slightly as if about to peer round a corner looking for the advancing German army. I’ve just painted the khaki in oils, which are still wet. The sculpting is very crisp and as a result it’s a joy to paint.

Neal. C067AD4B-FC5A-4C2C-B0C4-07B24C4A9961.jpeg E182AA25-EAAD-4753-81CC-DDF476C6F5EE.jpeg 4ACA4966-0317-46E3-97B1-0A9859F5DE29.jpeg 3AE18CF4-7BCE-4C6B-A9A5-6B8F115EFF47.jpeg E906007D-E413-46A5-B7F0-6C0636D5D300.jpeg
    clrsgt, Nap, GIANNIS and 10 others like this.
  2. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I must admit, I like this one too and it's out of my chosen period. Cracking job so far and following.
    Cannonball likes this.
  3. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks Bob. There are some great new releases from Stu but the eyes can’t manage the 54mm ones anymore, mores the pity. I don’t mind a bit of khaki every now and again.

Neal.
    Viking Bob likes this.
  4. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Great start, keep up the good work..
    Cannonball likes this.
  5. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Excellent job on the face, Neal. I’ve got this figure myself & agree 100% with your assessment of its quality; it’s a beautiful casting & will be the next project on my bench.

Watching with interest!
    Cannonball likes this.
  6. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks Warren.

Neal.
  7. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks Chris. Look forward to seeing your take on this when you get round to it.

Neal.
    Chris Oldfield likes this.
  8. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    It’ll be a while. I’m currently working on an AFV project, but hope to have made a start on the Green Howard by mid-November. I’ve also done a bit of reading about the Green Howards, & plan to visit their Regimental museum in Richmond next year - the painting from which this figure was sculpted hangs in there.
    Cannonball and Mike - The Kiwi like this.
  9. misfit151 A Fixture

Looks like another great start...lovely detailed face in this smaller scale...(y). Mike
    Cannonball likes this.
  10. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom

I am an ardent fan of Troop54 although painting the 54s is becoming harder, find a loupe a great advantage.
    Keep up the good work Neal.
    Cannonball likes this.
  11. Cannonball A Fixture

Not visited this one-been to the one in the centre of York near the Mound but might have to give this one a visit when next over that way.

Neal
  12. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks Mike. The sculpt is really crisp which has really helped in bringing out the detail.

Neal
  13. Cannonball A Fixture

I’ll have a look at this Bob. I’ve tried under a magnifier before but seem to lose the proximity between the brush tip and the figure for some reason. Maybe my eyes are worse than I think.

Neal
    Viking Bob likes this.
  14. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom

I use a pair of the strongest reading glasses from poundland. Seem to work okay at the moment. lol
  15. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Superb so far, may i inquire as to where you can purchase these figures from please
    Cannonball likes this.
  16. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks Steve. The figure is from Troop 54 Miniatures. They have some very recent releases featured in the Figure News section on this forum. As regards the glasses, I do have a pair which I wear when painting but might need to get super strength ones.

Neal
  17. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England

Neal,

Going to Pateley Bridge for a week next month, planning to visit York for a day or perhaps two - what's the name of the York Museum? I did fancy a trip to the Railway Museum (last visited over 30 yrs ago), but the military museum might be a better propect given my interests.
    I'm also going to the Yorkshire Air Museum at Elvington, it's dog-friendly which is unusual for an airfield.

BTW, re. eyewear, I use a pair of 18.5+ readers from Boots & they do the job just fine. My normal varifocals don't give the closeness for detail painting.

Chris.
    Cannonball likes this.
  18. Cannonball A Fixture

It’s called the York Army Museum and apparently relates to the Yorkshire Regiment and the Royal Dragoon Guards(?). It’s about 3 or 4 years since I went but lots of uniform bits on display. I seem to remember a really nice late 17th or early 18th century Cavalry guidon in there. We also did Elvington at the same time, some nice displays and they run up the engines on one of the aircraft from the display.

Neal
  19. Cannonball A Fixture

Some more progress with this. I’ve undercoated and painted the belt work, scabbard and boots in oils and undercoated the walking stick, water bottle, haversack and scarf. The khaki is starting to dull down a bit now. 265B1B23-16D5-4E6B-8B9A-57AD2F49D284.jpeg 95E64B85-14C8-4ACD-969E-8867C5EBE390.jpeg A5C8070F-318E-450E-B825-3F59946115F9.jpeg
    Nap, clrsgt, Viking Bob and 3 others like this.
  20. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    He's looking really nice now, Neal. The khaki service dress has dulled down a treat.