1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Tribute to 3 para Mt Longdon

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Chris K, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Chris K New Member

United-Kingdom
    A tribute to the Third Battalion Parachute Regiment Mount Longdon , Falklands campaign - Larger pics this time , so can the photo police just look ?

Moz you did a blinder with this figure - Jimmy thanks for your reference pics from your own collection and personal history. If any one was wondering the sling fittings etc were broken on receipt as were the 7.62 rds so this is still a WIP

Attached Files:

Trep and stu like this.
  2. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice. Is that Dutch Marine camo?
    Chris K likes this.
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    You naughty boy.:cautious:
    Carl.
    Chris K likes this.
  4. TonyT Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Love it Chris, ticks all the boxes for me :)
  5. Chris K New Member

United-Kingdom
    Lol - In a way it is! except an early 80s version , its brit / NL dpm

painted to look wet and filthy - as you will see in my post to mark I had no idea that the KM now supplemented the brit DPM with ERDL so i stood corrected(y)
  6. Chris K New Member

United-Kingdom
    Just wanted to say a big thanks to maurice who not only offered me an alternate head with marroon beret for this guy , but also for promising to send me a replacement sling and ammunition belt with my forthcoming order

Thanks again Maurice :)
  7. Argyll Member

Scotland
    No Union Jacks were worn on PARA Smocks back in 82 mate, the only thing worn by Para's were DZ flashes and jump wings, and nothing that colourful would have been worn then either.
  8. Chris K New Member

United-Kingdom
    Sorry Callum its actually an arctic windproof smock and a longdon veteran Jimmy on this forum sent me personal pics of his platoon and the lads that werent in jump smocks and were wearing windproofs did have union flags on their W/P smocks this is also backed up by Moz - are we really going to argue with a member of 3 para who took part in the assault and sent pics ?

He said they were old tatty smocks with union flags inherited from a jock unit - if you follow the thread in the new releases section for when this fig came out you will see the same conversation .............in fact you were involved in it I think ??:whistle:

and BTW I am ex Brit Army so I know a little about para DZ flashes etc and brit military history in general, although the chap jimmy who helped with the photos for this fig wore his para smock because he wanted to show the 3 para DZ flash when entering stanley. Were you in 3 para on the longdon assault Callum ? I wasnt but i trust a vets word and his photos and the fact that Moz vouched for the fact

Thanks your comments though
  9. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom

Attached Files:

Chris K likes this.
  10. Chris K New Member

United-Kingdom
    Lol Carl, you beat me to it thanks for the support!!! and Callum you were part of that original thread have just read it again :whistle: oh and shock horror ! a member of three para displaying a DZ flash on his para smock too !!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris K [IMG]
    Hi Jimmy,
    Thanks for the pics , I was stuggling to find some colour pics do you know if the guys had DZ flashes on thier windproofs ? I am guessing not, will deffo sculpt some scrim onto the helmet though, thanks again for the pics
    when the figure arrives I will do an SBS on Vbench
    Best Regards Chris

Hi Chris, no DZ flashes or wings on windproofs, we had got them off second hand off some Jock Regiment, and they nearly all had union Jacks on the right arm,
    Some blokes wore their smocks for the attack on mount Longdon, I wore my smock as I wanted to be wearing a 3 Para smock when we would eventually get into Stanley, but the majority kept their windproofs on, I have attached a photo of a smock on Longdon, and two photo of a windproof in bottom left in Stanley and on the right on Longdon, hope this helps
    bye for now Jimmy
    this will get you into the feel of it,,, plus remembers our clothing was second hand and by the time we had walked across our uniforms were very weather beaten. also I would have him looking at where his gun is pointing, where you look your gun looks, ps if like to anything regarding uniform ect please ask,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eEIjcWjr-A
    or a longer version,
    http://www.viddler.com/explore/jimmyoc/videos/12/
    Attached Thumbnails[IMG] [IMG]
  11. Chris K New Member

United-Kingdom
    Tony thank for your kind words - these big kits are a lot of work and I think it turned out Ok , but thanks again for your positive comment

best regards

Chris
  12. Argyll Member

Scotland
    I stand corrected then ;) and shall eat humble pie, I don't recall wear any union flags on our Combats during my time, they didn't even wear the diced flash till the early 90's which was a shame as it's a lot of Regimental Pride wearing the Regimental flash/Division symbol, I think the only Div symbol was worn by Instructors at the Depot :(
    I was lucky enough to Visit Sgt McKays falling place on Mount Longdon back in 87 , also Tumbledown, Goose Green, Mt Harriet the most desolate place I ever served.
    Chris K likes this.
  13. Chris K New Member

United-Kingdom
    No Worries Callum I think your Regt is also one to be proud of... so many battle honours, and as for the brave Sgt Mackay - a well earned VC from a very staunch battalion, when you look back at the assualt on Longdon it was a hard fought infantry action before an age where we take Night vision devices for granted (the boys had the odd LWS) ,but they pressed on and secured the objective, in the finest traditions of their Regiment and the British army, for me equal respect goes to the scots guards on Mt Tumbledown.

Those of us who have served have our own memories and recollections of various missions and theatres but i dont believe it to be cheesy to say that we have a martial and regimental tradition to be proud of.

closing now ...my thoughts are with those that continue to serve, those that have served, and their loved ones.
    Respect to you (us ) all
    Argyll likes this.
  14. Chris K New Member

United-Kingdom
    MOZ has an alternative head with this fig now - marroon beret may be worth checking out(y)(y)(y)(y)
  15. moz A Fixture

England
    Nice tribute Chris think you done well to capture the look.
    best wishes
    moz
  16. Chris K New Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Moz,

Coming from this guys creator that means a lot.

many thanks
  17. jimmyoc Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi is a reference photo of mine, which shows some of the different types of kit worn during the Falklands war,
    [IMG]