1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP "Trench Watch"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Nap, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Folks

Well ...running alongside Lt Cairns VC on my bench and after looking at those I had primed I started this one

.......from AC Models sculpted of course by Andy Cairns

Had this a long time just fancied doing it , I really like Andys sculpting has a real nice look to it , very period

Straight paint apart from I will be adding a trench mirror on the bayonet ( putty currently going off ready! )

The unprinted resin is from a Dan Morton review many moons ago as I had no pics ..cheers Dan

This is Andys box artwork

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Here's the resin , I couldn't find the base supplied so made one up so I could mount it on my base

image.jpeg

Currently all base coated except rifle and scarf ( still to decide colour ! ) quick pics with iPad ...need to work on putty !

Might add something to the helmet if I can find details

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Eyes done looking to his left

image.jpeg

Here's sone of the references I am using for the mirror ....

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Thanks for looking in and stay tuned !

Nap
    Dan Morton, Nemo, billyturnip and 7 others like this.
  2. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    This is a superb bust sculpt from AC, I've also had it in my stash for some time now waiting to be painted, I always think the face looks like Sir John Mills in the film Ryans Daughter.(y)
    Cheers
    Jim
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Bon voyage Matey
    A nice piece for you to work on from Andy and with your reference material should be a classic.
    Bring it on
    Keith
  4. Kevindunne Active Member

United-States
    Gotta get one of those...
  5. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Can't wait to see him come together Nap...
    Phl
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

Cheers for the comments ....

Keith ...hope I can do this credit

Phil....hopefully not too long to wait

Kevin...It has so much character , I like Andys sculpts ..lots ..wish he would release more !! ..really enjoying working on WW1 busts at the moment

Jimbo ...He does look a bit like JM mate ...was thinking of a bit of a moustache but like the way the mouth looks ....

UPDATE ?.

Well wanted to get the painting done on face but as they say " the best placed plans......" ......Oh and SWMBO ! ......

Spent most of yesterday making the mirror ......small or what ...4 goes .....too small , too large , knocked off ....and finished version ...now in place .....

Scaled down a picture of the instructions that are on the inside of the lid ..think it looks okay

Painting will bring out the details more ..hopefully

Couple of very quick iPad pics before I prime it in black

Put another base coat on the leather jerkin ...doing the face today !

Looking at putting Canadian helmet markings need to check a few things

Thanks for looking in

Nap

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

PS this s another great sculpt from Andy (WW2 - "Lucky" )
    image.jpeg
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

Verbal update ....

Face completed .

Helmet done , added the 22nd CEF ( Canadian-Francais ) Battalion or 'Vingt-Deux" using the Osprey book The Canadian Corps in WW1 (MAA 439) plate E3 which shows a red circle depicting senior Bn 5th Brigade over a dark blue rectangle of the 2nd Canadian Division

Scarf painted in a greeny/grayish and washes using Army Painter Necrotic Flesh , shadowed and highlighted

Pics to follow ....currently working on the greatcoat

Thanks for looking in

Nap
    Dan Morton likes this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

Update with a coupke of iffy pics
    After a biccie eating comp at Jimbos ..Ibwon..lol finished the webbing all off and the leather jerkin , rehighlightef the straps , pipe done using this picture as reference

image.jpeg

Working on the weapon and bayonet and mirror then thinkng about nameplate ...thinking along lines of a trench sign

Using these refs for the weapon etc

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Que the iffy pics ! ,.....with all dark leather and Browns it's quite a somber piece but I am really enjoying it

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Thanks for looking in

Nap
    MrBMB, Dan Morton, mick3272 and 2 others like this.
  9. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Some very nice work there kev
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Cheers Brian

A fairly simple piece with a little addition .....wanted to give this a go it's been sat looking at me too long ! ...

It came together quickly which was nice !

Now all finished will sort pics out soon

Thanks for looking in

Nap
    smudger1960 likes this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

Well this is all finished ..got carried away ....still toying with what to do about nameplate ..will ask Jimbo today !

Will post pics in next day or so !

Back to Lt Cairns tomorrow something a bit more colourful for the Paint Day at Jim's

Nap