1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Trapper

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Joe Hudson, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys,

It has been some time since I have posted anything and I am glad to be able to at least post a little something now. I am now starting a trapper. He is inspired from the art work of Lee Teter's Working for a song. I have took the liberty to make some changes. I have to again thank Gary for all the help. :) I hope to make some more progress soon. I started off with a Pegaso head from the spare parts. I hope you like it and all comments are welcomed.

Joe

Attached Files:

2. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    another

Attached Files:

3. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Sorry here is the picture that inspired me. :)

Attached Files:

4. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    here is where I am now

Attached Files:

5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    He is looking great Joe......and of course.......he's a mountain man which I enjoy too
  6. quang Active Member

Belgium
  7. johnnyboy New Member

joe that guy is comming out awesome.cant wait to see him with some paint on him.that painting is really cool i never saw that.thanks for sharing keep us posted.johnnyboy
  8. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Looks really good Joe. The leggings and mocassins are especially good.
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Joe, Looking good. That painting is going to be really neat to see this painting in
    3-D.~Gary
  10. Kreston Active Member

United-States
    Nice work, Joe. I really like the subjects you choose to sculpt. Your Creole was excellent and I look forward to seeing this guy finished.
  11. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking great Joe!

Like John said, the leggings are superb.
  12. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Joe, I had the priviledge of seeing your trapper first hand via e-mail, And I'll say it again, fantastic work , I love it.

Keep up the great work and will be waiting for the next step.
    I'm very much inspired by your trapper, looks like, I'll have to paint a trapper soon.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers.

Roc.
  13. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Looks great Joe!

-jim cox
  14. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the positive feed back. I too am looking forward to seeing this one finished. I really am looking forward to the groundwork part. Thanks on the comments on the moccasins and the leggings the only thing is that they will not be seen, except for what you can see thru the water. :(

Kreston,

Thanks. You know I like to do the ones that are a tad different. :) The problem with this one is he actually has some gear that I have to do!

Quang,

I am glad to see you are still looking, any ideas on the groundwork before I go and start?

Thanks again,

Joe
  15. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Joe,
    Nice job, look forward to seeing later stages

Frank (y)
  16. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Joe,

About the groundwork, it's all depends on what you intend to do.

If you wish to stick to the original concept, you'll have to add the bird (which means, to include the river bank and a tree) which in turn would 'dilute' the viewer's attention away from the trapper.

If you wish the trapper to be the centre of focus (as I think you do), putting him in the water would be an added bonus as fur trappers spent their (short) career wading in ICY waters (most of them didn't last past 40 with the ensuing rheumatism :(). In which case, you'll need to show some bout of the river bank with the snow on (to give the notion that the water is icy). Or else, add some ice floating on the water.

Wish I could be more explicit but I'm deep into Euro-Militaire hysteria myself. :eek: :eek:

HTH

Q.
  17. jaime Member

Spain
    Excelent work (y)
  18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The painting the figure is based on is titled "working for a song", so given the title the bird is almost as important as the trapper. If you just have the trapper standing in the water without a "supporting cast" that's all you have is a guy standing in the water.~Gary
  19. quang Active Member

Belgium
    That's precisely what I said. ;)

The problem is that you'd have to put the bird somewhere (like on a branch of the tree). And as you cannot out have a branch sticking out the blue, you'd have to include a tree. In which case, the tree, being a larger fixture, would 'over power' the bird, thus defeating your original intent. :(

This here is an exemplary case where a concept which works well in 2-D cannot be transposed in 3-D (and vice-versa). Not that Teeter's composition is a very effective one. There's a painting by Hugo Pratt with the same concept (two Woodland Indians in a canoe looking at a couple of lovebirds) which works much better.

In any case, it's a brave move so far (y) and I'm looking forward to the next step.

Q.
  20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Quang, Hopefully the "small" tree will act as more of a frame than taking the focus from the scene.~Gary