1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP "Trapper" - Groundwork for AuthorSculpt's Trapper in 70mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Guy, Feb 27, 2011.

1. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very cool (y) I dig the viking one!
  2. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    about time you did another sbs on ground work for us.
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Gordy & Mike. I am working on the next step now.
  4. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very good work so far my friend!!!
  5. jimmy1969 Member

China
    Wow, very nice
  6. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Very interesting, I learned something from this sbs - thanks Guy !
  7. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Christos, Chi and Johan for your comments.
  8. Zlobov*S Active Member

Hello my good friend Guy, I see beautiful process!
    The new birth of a figure is always pleasant to look!
    Yours faithfully.
  9. tissibzh Active Member

France
    hello Guy excellent work on the base with the stones "in the base"
    huury up!!!
  10. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Sergey and Christian for the comments. I actually finished the Trapper last night and will concentrate on the base today.
  11. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    After the Sculpt A Mold has thoroughly dried I paint the entire top surface with Poly S acrylic rust.

base 19.jpg

base 20.jpg

base 21.jpg

My next step after the Rust paint has dried is to mix an acrylic black wash and apply over the entire top surface of the ground. This gives the groundwork depth which you will notice after the next step.

base 22.jpg

base 23.jpg

My next step is to dry-brush Humbrol flesh over the very top of the ground work as seen below. I now paint the top surface rocks light gray and wash with black. After the top rocks dry I dry-brush them with light gray with white mixed into the dry-brush paint on my pad.

base 24.jpg

base 26.jpg

base 27.jpg

My next step before fastening the tree and figure permantely to the base is to give each a test fit to insure everything will fit right.

base 28.jpg

base 29.jpg

base 30.jpg

My next step below is to mix up my snow and in this case I used the Snow-Tex for the overall ground and afterwards use the Snow-In-A-Pot for the top of the rocks and snow shoes.

base 31.jpg

base 32.JPG

[ To be continued ]

gordy likes this.
  12. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Now I take the mixed Snow_Tex with water and apply it around the back base where the tree will go and do a last test-fit of the tree. After the tree has been fitted down into the snow I mix up some 5-minute epoxy and fasten the tree to the brass peg.

base 33.jpg

base 33a.jpg

Now I can go ahead and finish applying the snow to the rest of the top surface of the base working the snow in and around the stones for now.

base 33b.jpg

The next step below is to mix up another epoxy mix and fasten the Mountain Man to the brass peg at the same time pushing down on the Mountain Man to imprint the snow.

base 33c.jpg

base 33d.jpg

base 33e.jpg

Since this was my first time to use Snow-In-A-Pot I applied some diluted Elmer's white glue to the top of one of the rocks. I didn't like the different type of snow grannules so I switched over to Hudson-Allen Snow to apply some snow to the top of the rocks as well as the Mountain Man's shoes and snow shoes.

base 38.jpg

base 39.JPG

base 40.jpg

base 41.jpg

Now the scene is complete and I will take the finished photographs and post them in my next posting.

Mark S and gordy like this.
  13. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Excellent work Guy (y) I dig the clever use of the base, very effective :)
  14. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Gordy. The first time I saw this type of base I knew I would want to paint the cliff section / cut out as though it were part of a rock formation.

Here is a link to the finished Photographs of this scene - click here
    gordy likes this.