1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Tommy's war.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by housecarl, Apr 22, 2011.

1. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Here's my take on the new Tommy's war, well Tommy. I couldn't get the supplied head looking anything like, so I replaced it with a Hornet one. I sculpted, yes sculpted,:p the service dress cap. The wall is by MK35, and the railing is photo-etch, with the foliage from mininatur. The rifle is wanting its sling, and some touching up to do.
    Carl.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      71 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      69.8 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      66.5 KB
      Views:
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I was looking forward to seeing one of these painted up. You've done a right good job Carl, including the sculpting, great work mate!

Roger.
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Very nice Carl.
  4. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Carl
    Nice one, mate. Great subdued khaki tone to the serge uniform and blanco webbing. Any chance on jotting down your mixes?

Cheers
    Paul
  5. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the comments. Paul the khaki is English uniform, highlighted with Iraqi sand and the shaded with German camo black brown. The webbing is Panzer Aces light mud, highs with ivory and shaded with the English uniform.
    Thanks again,
    Carl.
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Forgot to ask Carl, what cap badge did you put on the cap?

Roger.
  7. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I managed to remove the original, so it's the Lincolnshire Regiment.
    Carl.
  8. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Carl , the hole thing looks great to me mate ! The red n orange adds a nice touch of colour .
    Well done
    Sam
  9. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Bloody hell mate you have done a sterling job on this one, the basework works just right for this figure.

`Sculpting your own cap` You been hanging around with ken too long ;)

Great result with the figure mate

Steve
  10. dinovision79 Active Member

Looking great, Carl! I like the groundwork too!

Denes
  11. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I just knew you would have put a new cap badge on, any particulat reason for Lincs. regt.? Sorry for all the questions Carl. :D
  12. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    As they used to say in the pongos if you're asking questions, then your paying attention. I wasn't clear, I managed to salvage the original from the figures cap. Which was a good job, as my sculpting skills are lacking in that department.
    Thanks again to everyone for the positive words,
    Carl.
  13. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Sure shot mate, another great work Carl..)
  14. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great job Carl. If you do not mind me asking what was the prob with the kit head? This series is a must for moi.--
  15. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I'm paying attention. :) Good thinking, for some reason I was thinking this was the Middlesex Regt. fig. but that's the other one, err so I wasn't paying enough attention :D
  16. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Nothing wrong with them Steve, just that the features were a bit on the subtle side, similar to Alpine.
    Carl.
  17. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Carl, you know my thoughts on this one mate, excellent painting and great work on the base. Have you been gardening and cutting back that ivy.:)

Cheers Ken
  18. Dennis Active Member

England
    Hi Carl, saw and admired this as a WIP at Sword & Lance, you have combined a great figure and some great basework to produce a little stunner. Thanks for the explanation of the paints used, love the attention to detail such as the enamel blue water bottle spout. He really does look like a Tommy.
    Regards
    Dennis
  19. Harry New Member

Netherlands
    I'm still not sure about the pose of that figure (although I've only ever seen it in photo's) but it seems to fit rather well with him firing round some cover like that. Another great example of how much a good scenic base can add.
  20. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Carl,
    Nicely done and some excellent changes.
    Cheers
    John