1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Tommy's War Vignette Finished!

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ghamilt1, Sep 3, 2012.

1. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Just completed this excellent group of figures from Tommy's War, and I am quite happy with the results. I have to say the most challenging part of this project was the motorcycle, which is definately not a kit for the beginner. Especially when I discovered that I put the drive belt on the rear wheel on the wrong side of the cycle! But it turned out in the end. I would welcome any kind of criticisms or comments and as always, thanks for having a look.
    DSCF1705.JPG DSCF1706.JPG DSCF1700.JPG DSCF1702.JPG
  2. Tommy's War Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Fantastic, thanks for sharing

The bike is a complex kit, but when you see examples of them in museums or fully restored you can appreciate how intricate and delicate they were, but this one is built really well and the result is spectacular.

This is the first time I've seen the figures with the lieutenant on he right, but I have to say that it works.

It's great seeing the figures painted and online!
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Hard to tell from the photos, but it looks very well done.
    Carl.(y)
  4. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    Nice, i like it !

Cheers

Hendryk
  5. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Nice job, I like it also.
    Cheers
    John
  6. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    There you go ! :) First one I have seen online ! apart from mine I have finnished but cant show yet :whistle:

Looks very nice ! I like how you have turned the seat facing down as was often the case for the rider,nice detail ! Also you have the Lieutenant on the right as Darren has said,which works !

Rgds the bike we built for the boxart,it is a very fine kit but the Douglas 1914 pattern was more a bicycle frame with an engine ! hence that tubular frame work is very fine like the real thing... a challenge in 54mm scale but Darren and the designer got it covered ! :joyful: gotta' be the sexiest bike on sale at the minute I think :love:

Carl
  7. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Really nicely done. I am looking forward to progessing to this stage in the series. Although I have to admit that the bike scares me as I have never been a vehicle modeller of any type. I assume one has to use super glue to assemble it and super glue is somewhat unforgiving (spoken by someone who tried to turn a stuck lid with this teeth and glued his tongue to the roof of his mouth).

Nice painting on the figures too.

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  8. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Carl, Hendryk and John; thank you all for your kind words of encouragement.

Colin, hilarious story about the super glue. You're right, that is exactly what is required but I found the biggest challenge was the lack of "locating pins" which I am used to from my days as an aircraft modeller. Of course I can see where that would be very difficult to engineer on such a detailed kit in this scale.
    Hi Carl and Darren; Thanks to both of you for your approval. Carl, I'd like to take credit for purposely angling the seat downwards, but it was more an accident then anything else. Thanks also Darren, most of all for producing such an exquisite kit. It really sets the scene and I sure hope you have some other designs up your sleeve.

As for the pose of the officer to the right, again that was because I messed up the angle of the private's head, to it pretty much had to be this way to make "sense". You got to love when accidents turn out alright.
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great work, and the first on the www I suppose.
    I have to wait for Euro to buy this two guys and the bicycle.
    Can't wait to see them.

marc
  10. JonP PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Really nice job on that.
    Of course it now means I want the Engineer Officer to go with the Douglas and rider I have sitting on the shelf; see you at Euro Darren!
  11. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Looks pretty good - phantastic job!

Cheers
  12. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Nice work Glenn!

Gary
  13. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    I like what you done and new pics are welcome!;)

Pedro.
  14. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Pedro, Martin, Marc, Jon and Gary; you are all very kind to have left such encouraging messages.
  15. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Beautiful vignette, very well done. I love the base work and bike, the whole thing. Figures are awesome!

Cheers, Ski.
  16. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Very nice job.
  17. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Ventress and Steve; I am especially pleased you liked the base, as I usually hate doing that part of the project the most, and therefore struggle with it. Your comment tells me I am on the right track:)
  18. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I hate basework too but your vignette certainly does not show that. It looks great. How did you do the tree? A root?

Thanks

Colin
  19. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Colin, despite my loathing of the task, I was pretty happy with the final result on this base. To answer your question; yes, it's a root of some kind or another from my front yard. I managed to pull a bunch of roots this summer as I did some landscaping, so I will be incorporating these on more of my future projects.
  20. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Glenn,

A fantastic little vignette mate and a tremendous bit of groundwork to set off the figures. The whole scene looks great.