1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Tommy Raider

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Patrick Kirk, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Patrick Kirk New Member

Guys,
    Thanks for the kind words...
    I paint in oils and no matter how hard I try, I never mix the same flesh tone twice. For the flesh base I used: burnt sienna, cadium red, yellow ochre. I mixed them together to get a deep brown and then put a glob of the base aside (I'll use this, plus some raw umber for the deepest shadows). I added just a touch of flesh to the base and then applied it to an undercoat of Vallejo sunny skin tone mixed with flesh.
    Once I had the flesh base on, I took a clean brush and pulled the excess off leaving just a very fine coat of oil to mix wet on wet with the highlights. For highlights, I use napels yellow and titanium white. For the most dramatic highlights, I add just a touch of the flesh color (Bob Sarnowski taught me that) to the highlight along the top of the lips, flare of the nose, tip of the nose, and the highest points on the ckeek and then blend out to a pure titanium white (Anders, does that help?).
    For the shadows, I pull in some of that blob that I set aside and mix in raw umber...that will become the deepest color for the shadows. I blend in at the edges to give the creases depth (a trick I learned from Bob Knee, Jr) at the deepest points. The shadows show themselves as I work on the highlights and then depending on the depth of the shadow, determines how much of the shade I apply...
    Does that help?
    I'll post an updated picture later today...I finished the khaki uniform this morning and will have to allow it to dry before I take the pictures...all that is left are the service stripes, unit patches, bomber insigna and the helmet...should have him done this week...
    Thanks again, Guys!

Patrick (y)
  2. Patrick Kirk New Member

Guys,
    Thanks for the kind words...
    I paint in oils and no matter how hard I try, I never mix the same flesh tone twice. For the flesh base I used: burnt sienna, cadium red, yellow ochre. I mixed them together to get a deep brown and then put a glob of the base aside (I'll use this, plus some raw umber for the deepest shadows). I added just a touch of flesh to the base and then applied it to an undercoat of Vallejo sunny skin tone mixed with flesh.
    Once I had the flesh base on, I took a clean brush and pulled the excess off leaving just a very fine coat of oil to mix wet on wet with the highlights. For highlights, I use napels yellow and titanium white. For the most dramatic highlights, I add just a touch of the flesh color (Bob Sarnowski taught me that) to the highlight along the top of the lips, flare of the nose, tip of the nose, and the highest points on the ckeek and then blend out to a pure titanium white (Anders, does that help?).
    For the shadows, I pull in some of that blob that I set aside and mix in raw umber...that will become the deepest color for the shadows. I blend in at the edges to give the creases depth (a trick I learned from Bob Knee, Jr) at the deepest points. The shadows show themselves as I work on the highlights and then depending on the depth of the shadow, determines how much of the shade I apply...
    Does that help?
    I'll post an updated picture later today...I finished the khaki uniform this morning and will have to allow it to dry before I take the pictures...all that is left are the service stripes, unit patches, bomber insigna and the helmet...should have him done this week...
    Thanks again, Guys!

Patrick (y)
  3. johnbrewer New Member

Patrick, a lot of top information in one post, thank you (y)
  4. johnbrewer New Member

Patrick, a lot of top information in one post, thank you (y)
  5. Kreston Active Member

United-States
    Very nice job on the face!
  6. Kreston Active Member

United-States
    Very nice job on the face!
  7. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Patrick

What an outstanding bust, lovely work and thanks for the info too.

Robin
  8. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Patrick

What an outstanding bust, lovely work and thanks for the info too.

Robin
  9. Patrick Kirk New Member

John, Robin and Kreston,
    Glad that you like him...he definately has some attitude, huh?
    Thanks for the words of encouragement...
    Hope all is well...

Patrick
  10. Patrick Kirk New Member

John, Robin and Kreston,
    Glad that you like him...he definately has some attitude, huh?
    Thanks for the words of encouragement...
    Hope all is well...

Patrick
  11. Patrick Kirk New Member

Ok...here is an updated work in progress on the Tommy Raider Bust...all that is left is helmet, club and leather glove...should have him completed this weekend...

Attached Files:

12. johnbrewer New Member

As always excellent work Patrick, your work gets better all of the time.
  13. Patrick Kirk New Member

Thanks my friend...appreciate your kind words...
    Hope all is well
  14. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent Patrick.........love the subtle shading and highlighting (y)
  15. Patrick Kirk New Member

Thanks a lot Guy...
    Really enjoyed this figger since it offers quite a bit of uniform options in terms of English Khaki, and I can't say enough about the expression of the face! I can only hope I captured the mood...
    Hope all is well...take care

Patrick
  16. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Patrick!

He is looking really nice. I think you caught the mood very well. It is a really nice bust with a lot of expression. Keep up the good work!!
  17. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
  18. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Very,very NICE (y) (y) (y) Keep up the good work !Kenneth
  19. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Your Paintin Patrick just goes from strength to strength

Robin
  20. Patrick Kirk New Member

Thanks Robin...coming from you, that means the world...thanks!
    Hope all is well...

Patrick