1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Tommy’s War Sniper

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Nos76, Nov 14, 2017.

1. MacCoy Active Member

Finland
    Thank you for sharing your work, it is hard to believe this is your first figure, very nice brushwork.
    anstontyke likes this.
  2. Nos76 Active Member

Thanks MacCoy....I sure hope it is to standard as I have been amazed by all the great work done by all the members
    anstontyke likes this.
  3. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Very nice painting, the hues on the uniform are excellent. Thanks for showing how you made the tree, brilliant.
    Perseas and anstontyke like this.
  4. Huw63 A Fixture

Marvellous work. I love the tree you made too. Now to look forard to seeing it finished on a base.

Well done.

Cheers

Huw
  5. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    You have done a great job, especially for a first figure. As mentioned, acrylic washes can be used to "blend". Normally apply a thinned wash of the base color over the area to make the shadows and highlights more subtle, just don't overdo it or the shading/highlighting will disappear. Also, for more controlled "blending", paint/stipple a color in between the base and the shadow/highlight color along the edge of the shadow/highlight.

Anyway, great work, :)(y)
    Ken
  6. Nos76 Active Member

Viking Bob: The tree was the easy bit but the figure!

Huw63: the tree on the small vignette is the bit I am looking forward to.

Ken Boyle: Thanks heaps for the advice really appreciate it, it has been a big learning curve....I used many diluted solutions of each colour
    Perseas, anstontyke and Viking Bob like this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Nos

First figure ......very nicely done indeed , a great sculpt from TW , like all the tones you have used

Well done indeed

Looking forward to your next one

Nap

PS why not put something in this months FOTM as well
  8. Nos76 Active Member

Nap...are you suggesting I put in FOTM...as in when it is complete.

Nos
  9. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Wow great stuff all the way around
    anstontyke likes this.
  10. Oda A Fixture

A very promising start indeed.Keep it up and keep us posted mate.

Oda.
  11. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    Excellent piece of work. Would be good to know what paints and colours that you've actually used.
  12. Nos76 Active Member

Ok guys I can see light at the end of the tunnel! I just need to do some more weathering like mud around the figure’s boots and weathering on other bits of ground work and attaching the sling to the rifle...

As it is WWI and he is a Sniper, I was think in reference to the Monarch of England at the time King George was thinking of titling it
    “The King’s finest shot”

I am also open to suggestion for a name or title of the vignette as I am lost as font style would be handy!

Cheers Nos
    F5F1965A-009C-4574-B603-03F740987341.jpeg 4C01F586-7D15-4276-928C-4813C2C478F2.jpeg DF54E33D-7607-4940-862D-D3D62EACBEF9.jpeg 8C1E37E5-A68E-43BB-ADE6-1719D88D531E.jpeg 8F6CF756-3206-490E-9D74-404C5B2C6CAA.jpeg 16F02525-B0AC-45B6-B7A2-431895295A01.jpeg 4702B586-A935-4655-8757-B8C75E008192.jpeg
    Andreas K., Edward, Perseas and 5 others like this.
  13. Cannonball A Fixture

Looking great, super work on the figure and setting.
    Perseas, anstontyke and Nos76 like this.
  14. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Excellent painting and groundwork, nicely done.
    Perseas, anstontyke and Nos76 like this.
  15. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    This is a great piece of work, well done. One minor point is that I don't think that the sign on the tree works very well. Such a sign directing you to the front line doesn't ring true for me: I think that everyone would know where the front was without needing a sign, especially in places where snipers would operate. As I say, a minor point, good work. What was your recipe for the uniform brown?
    anstontyke likes this.
  16. Nos76 Active Member

I’m hearing you Richard thought the same thing, but not until I saw these signs...
    33DBC802-B90B-4218-BBEA-396AFD06B9FE.jpeg

The uniform brown is the
    AK Interactive’s WWI BRITISH UNIFORM AK3080

Nos
    Edward, Perseas and anstontyke like this.
  17. Landrotten Highlander Well-Known Member

I think these signs were used inside the ditches trenches behind the frontline. Helpful and easy to adjust as the frontline could change on a daily basis.
    Slainte
    L.H.
    anstontyke likes this.
  18. Nos76 Active Member

I am open to suggestions....what would’ve you seen ?
  19. santi fernandez Well-Known Member

Spain
    You can be very happy with the work done, congratulations mate.
    anstontyke likes this.
  20. Perseas Well-Known Member

Greece
    You created a magnificent vignette Nos, fine shades on the figure and a very realistic groundwork with an amazing Tree!
    The sign is also makes the echo of war closer, a fine touch to your vignette!
    Congratulations!!!
    Oda likes this.