1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Tomb Raider Build

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mark Yungblut, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Mark Yungblut Member

United-States
    Helo all,

I picked up the Andrea 90mm Lara Croft a few weeks ago. I have been working on getting her ready for Wonderfest this year. The ruined statue is heavily modded from a paper weight I bought on our honeymoon in the Yucatan (I wish now that I had gotten several…). The vines are plant roots and the leaves on the vines are etched brass. The other jungle plants are from Fredericus Rex. Everything is still a WIP. I still have to add more plants and they all need detailing. I am hoping to get the figure painted in the next two weeks. Right now she has a base coat of Andrea medium flesh.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers,

Mark
  2. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    Love the basework!! Nice work. Cant wait to see it completed
  3. Mark Yungblut Member

United-States
    Thanks I and really happy with the way it is turning out.
  4. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mark, excellent detail work on the base, very nice indeed. look forward to following progress.

Cheers Ken
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Basework is great Mark. Waiting untill Lara is in her colors.

marc
  6. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Mark,
    Great job on the base and a nice setting.
    Cheers
    John
  7. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    excellent work on the base , follow your next steps

cheers

stefano
  8. Mark Yungblut Member

United-States
    Hello all,

Just a quick update. I started painting the face last night and am nearly finished. Just some light touchups and a little more shading here and there...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

For the glasses, I drilled out the solid lenses but supergluing the etched brass frett to a sheet of styrene and then put more glue on top to stablize the delicate frames. I then drilled them out and soaked the frett in acetone. The clear lenes are Tamiya Clear red. Just as a size reference the lenses are 1.5mm in diameter.

Sorry for the focus issues I am missing one of my closeup filters.

Cheers,

Mark
  9. Mark Yungblut Member

United-States
    Hey Everyone,

Here is an update on Lara Kroft figure. I am really pleased at the way the flesh tones are coming together. I should be finishing those up tonight and then blocking in the tiger stripe camo on her shorts.
    Comments welcome….

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers,
    Mark
  10. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great skintones and nice work on the glasses, look forward to seeing her on the base.(y)

Cheers Ken
  11. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    I really like what you have done here. Flesh tones look very good. I would
    like for you to use more than one tone of red in her hair. Like with the braids
    in the area that would be in shadow, I'd like to see a darker tone of that
    same red.

And re the vegetation that looks so good. I can tell you have put so much
    work into the base, and the vegetation. However, altho I really like it, I
    would like for you to soften the shade of green for the vegetation. Add some
    lighter greens in the areas on top and darker greens in the areas in shadow.
    You could also add hints of tans, yellows, browns in those vegetation areas.

Just as you would see in nature. But I still really like what you are doing.

Good luck,

rickmeister
  12. Mark Yungblut Member

United-States
    Rick,

Thanks for the great advise! The hair has yet to be finished. Right now its just a base coat of the mid-range color. I planned on painting that last as I have been using the top of her head as a steadying point while I paint the rest.

As to the plants, my plan is to go back to them and add some lighter colors using drybrushed oils and later pastels. I also have a lot more vegitation to add. I also want to get some vergated leaves etc. in the mix.

One of the question I have for you all is what would be the best way to simulate her knees and elbows being dirty etc. Similar to this:

[IMG]

And maybe just some overall dirt Like this:

[IMG]

The last thing I want is for the figure to look too clean while she's running and fighting in a jungle. So any suggestions are more than welcome.

Cheers,

Mark
  13. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Excellent groundwork Mark.
    Carl.
  14. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Mark, for knees & elbows being grubby, just get some pastels, and apply with a soft brush.

A few tips regarding pastels -

- Use dry rather then oily pastels ; I've used artists pencils in the past, to good effect (rubbed them down on fine sandpaper)
    - Apply as a last stage, as they are rather delicate, show fingerprints, and have very subtle effects.
    - can 'disappear' under a coat of varnish (matte or otherwise)
    - and match the colours you are applying to the colours of your base/ ground work. I have seen odd cases where a figure is dusted in "Vietnam red' and is racing along a wet and muddy chocolate brown ground work - looked like an odd rash
    - Like cooking, Less is More

Hope this helps,

Cheers
  15. Mark Yungblut Member

United-States
    Hello Everyone,

Just a quick update on the Tomb Raider Dio. The figure is almost completed. All that is left is a little detail painting and highlighting here and there and finishing the hair. The Grenades were made from some epoxy putty and very old Historex parts (namely 1/2 of a stirrup and a ring from a sword sheath).

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers,
    Mark
  16. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Good looking figure!

Marcel.
  17. Mark Yungblut Member

United-States
    Thanks Marcel!

More updates… I have just about finished with all the foliage I still need to add some scale Spanish moss and some green moss. Any suggestion on the spanish moss? The green moss should be fairly easy to simulate.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers,
    Mark