1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Tom Hanks "Saving Private Ryan", 1/10th scale bust, Young Miniatures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Oct 16, 2014.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

I've had a much-needed break from modelling recently and have just started back again.

My latest effort is this very good likeness of Tom Hanks as Captain John Miller, 2nd Ranger Battalion D-Day 1944 from the movie "Saving Private Ryan" produced by Young Miniatures. The facial likeness is very good and although I wish the bust came with a helmet, I believe the bare head will enhance the final look of the bust.

Just started a couple of nights ago laying down the basic acrylic colours for the face and some preliminary highlights and shading ahead of the oil washes. In keeping with the washed out colour palette of the movie, which gave it a wonderfully drab, realistic and historic feel, I'm planning to keep my colour palette on the drab side.

Still early days but a fun start. Have to watch the movie again the weekend for research purposes!!
    IMG_2062.JPG IMG_2063.JPG IMG_2064.JPG
  2. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Welcome back back mate and a great start, will keep my eye on this.

regards Zane
  3. Ferris A Fixture

Great colours and tone Tony. You could almost do without the oils!

Cheers
    Adrian
  4. Robert Laclavik Active Member

Czech-Republic
    Hi Tony,
    very nice start. Fine flesh tones and good likeness of Tom Hanks there, although I would consider to paint a gentle growth of beard to add detail.
    I will follow your next progress,
    best regards and welcome back in hobby, mate
    R.L.
  5. swralph A Fixture

Looking good.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Looking good so far Tony ...hope you enjoyed the break and its good to have you back

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  7. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    We like this, following the progress with interest!
  8. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Very nice start tony with the flesh colours,will be following with interest
  9. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Bout time you got your a**e into the hobby room again!!!!!
    Nice start, and will follow your progress
    Ben
  10. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Looking good mate. What a great sculpt, keep it up.
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for all your comments guys.

I've only had a couple of weeks off, and the juices are flowing again. I'll post some better pics in a day or two to update my progress.

Robert I will definitely be adding some 5 o'clock shadow to the face and also some dirt and grime to represent the face of the actor in the movie.
  12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
  13. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thats looking rather nice Tony :)
  14. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    perfect likeness, this is coming along really well.

regards Zane
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
  16. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Gee that looks like Tom Hanks.
    That's the challenge, getting the sculpted likeness to look like the original image, once painted.

Neat work on the shirt and webbing too!!

Cheers
    Jamie
    tonydawe likes this.
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Jamie,

Yes its quite a challenge to produce a decent likeness of someone so well known, but it really helps when the sculpting is so accurate. The challenge now will be to add enough dirt and grime to the face to make him look battle-weary and soiled, without ruining the overall effect. I still have the Tommy Gun and the entrenching tool to add to the rear of the bust and then I will do a series of pin washes and stains to make him look a bit grubbier.
  18. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Nice to see you back from the post-WASMEx lethargy, Tony ;)
    He's looking great so far, you've brought out the likeness really well and I love the stubble.
    Awesome work mate
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for your comments Nick. I think the lethargy has gone now mate, and the juices are flowing again.

Still a few final washes to apply and some weathering on this bust. The base is a Ron Tamburrini bust plinth.
    IMG_2083.JPG IMG_2084.JPG IMG_2086.JPG IMG_2087.JPG IMG_2088.JPG IMG_2089.JPG IMG_2090.JPG IMG_2091.JPG IMG_2092.JPG IMG_2093.JPG

Attached Files:

Mark Dollery, Edward, pmfs and 10 others like this.
  20. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Nice one Tony, but I have a major complaint...... Can you stop painting them sooooo realistic!!!!!
    Ben
    napoleonpeart and tonydawe like this.